User on Boot

For several years, the last user logged on was the user of
choice on the next boot.

All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
Administrator every time.

I have been doing some changing in network assignments
trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
another problem.

Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last user.
Where is the control for this?
5 answers Last reply
More about user boot

    This Reg_Sz string value stores the last successful logon username.
    "DefaultUserName"
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    Some permissions may have been altered.

    How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "chartsmalm" wrote:
    | For several years, the last user logged on was the user of
    | choice on the next boot.
    |
    | All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
    | Administrator every time.
    |
    | I have been doing some changing in network assignments
    | trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
    | TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
    | another problem.
    |
    | Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last user.
    | Where is the control for this?

    Dave:
    Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user problem -
    but you were correct about security. I no longer get the
    CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
    clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
    didn't work.

    When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step 5.
    There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?

    Charts

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"chartsmalm" wrote:
    >| For several years, the last user logged on was the user
    of
    >| choice on the next boot.
    >|
    >| All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
    >| Administrator every time.
    >|
    >| I have been doing some changing in network assignments
    >| trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
    >| TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
    >| another problem.
    >|
    >| Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last
    user.
    >| Where is the control for this?
    >

    >.

    Look in;
    %windir%\security\Database

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Dave:
    | Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user problem -
    | but you were correct about security. I no longer get the
    | CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
    | clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
    | didn't work.
    |
    | When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step 5.
    | There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?
    |
    | Charts

    Dave:

    I found it but I was denied access. I was logged on
    as "administrator" when I got that message

    Charts

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Dave:
    >| Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user
    problem -
    >| but you were correct about security. I no longer get
    the
    >| CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
    >| clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
    >| didn't work.
    >|
    >| When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step
    5.
    >| There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?
    >|
    >| Charts
    >

    >.

    You'll want to just create a new database at that point, the name doesn't
    matter.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Dave:
    |
    | I found it but I was denied access. I was logged on
    | as "administrator" when I got that message
    |
    | Charts

Boot Microsoft Windows