User on Boot

For several years, the last user logged on was the user of
choice on the next boot.

All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
Administrator every time.

I have been doing some changing in network assignments
trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
another problem.

Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last user.
Where is the control for this?

This Reg_Sz string value stores the last successful logon username.
"DefaultUserName"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Some permissions may have been altered.

How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"chartsmalm" wrote:
| For several years, the last user logged on was the user of
| choice on the next boot.
|
| All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
| Administrator every time.
|
| I have been doing some changing in network assignments
| trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
| TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
| another problem.
|
| Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last user.
| Where is the control for this?

Dave:
Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user problem -
but you were correct about security. I no longer get the
CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
didn't work.

When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step 5.
There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?

Charts

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"chartsmalm" wrote:
>| For several years, the last user logged on was the user
of
>| choice on the next boot.
>|
>| All of a sudden it has changed to logging on as
>| Administrator every time.
>|
>| I have been doing some changing in network assignments
>| trying to get all 3 of my win2k's to see each other in
>| TCP/IP - nothing seems to be working there - but that's
>| another problem.
>|
>| Now I just want to get back to a normal boot of last
user.
>| Where is the control for this?
>

>.

Look in;
%windir%\security\Database

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Dave:
| Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user problem -
| but you were correct about security. I no longer get the
| CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
| clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
| didn't work.
|
| When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step 5.
| There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?
|
| Charts

Dave:

I found it but I was denied access. I was logged on
as "administrator" when I got that message

Charts

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>| Dave:
>| Thanks. The DefaultUserName fixed the logon user
problem -
>| but you were correct about security. I no longer get
the
>| CAD requirement on Logon. I went to Users/Advanced and
>| clicked-clicked and applied to try to get it back. That
>| didn't work.
>|
>| When I started the process in KB 266118 I got to Step
5.
>| There was no database to open. Where do I go from here?
>|
>| Charts
>

>.

You'll want to just create a new database at that point, the name doesn't
matter.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Dave:
|
| I found it but I was denied access. I was logged on
| as "administrator" when I got that message
|
| Charts

TRENDING THREADS