Hard Disk capacity limitation

Hi,

I have a new computer with a Hard drive of 160 GB and I
just installed windows NT and the upgrade to 2000 and it
gives a capacity limitation of 4 GB.

Anybody can help?

Guy
1 answer Last reply
More about hard disk capacity limitation

    Skip the Windows NT install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows
    2000 CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    from your Win2k CD-rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and
    execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Guy Vives" wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | I have a new computer with a Hard drive of 160 GB and I
    | just installed windows NT and the upgrade to 2000 and it
    | gives a capacity limitation of 4 GB.
    |
    | Anybody can help?
    |
    | Guy

Computers Hard Drives Microsoft Windows