De-Bugging Files

Instead of the usual user.dmp file containing all items at
the time of a "crash" I want to get only the mini.dmp with
details of the program and operation causing the crash.

Although I have set System/Advanced/Startup and
Recovery/System Failure/Write Debugging Information/
to "Small Memory Dump (64KB)" at Directory "%SystemRoot%
\Minidump" I continue to receive a Complete Memory Dump
on each occasion.

Can anyone help please?

Start|Run|drwtsn32 to configure the watson dump file.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Aussie John" wrote:
| Instead of the usual user.dmp file containing all items at
| the time of a "crash" I want to get only the mini.dmp with
| details of the program and operation causing the crash.
|
| Although I have set System/Advanced/Startup and
| Recovery/System Failure/Write Debugging Information/
| to "Small Memory Dump (64KB)" at Directory "%SystemRoot%
| \Minidump" I continue to receive a Complete Memory Dump
| on each occasion.
|
| Can anyone help please?

usre.dmp is created only when there is an application crash in the user mode.
For the user.dmp we need to have dr watson as the default debugger. We can
set that using drwtsn32.exe -i command. A complete memory dump will be
created only if the OS crashes and the settings can be done through
System/Advanced/Startup

"Aussie John" wrote:

> Instead of the usual user.dmp file containing all items at
> the time of a "crash" I want to get only the mini.dmp with
> details of the program and operation causing the crash.
>
> Although I have set System/Advanced/Startup and
> Recovery/System Failure/Write Debugging Information/
> to "Small Memory Dump (64KB)" at Directory "%SystemRoot%
> \Minidump" I continue to receive a Complete Memory Dump
> on each occasion.
>
> Can anyone help please?

Thanks Dave,

Dr Watson was already set as the Debugging tool with the
following:-

Log File Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson

Crash Dump = C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp

Create Crash Dump File is enabled

Dump All Thread Contexts is not enabled.

The System Failure settings are as shown in my cry for
help.

Induced crashes in a program still produce a 30 MB Dump
File instead of a 64k Mini Dump.

Can you point me in the right direction please?

Aussie John

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Aussie John" wrote:
>| Instead of the usual user.dmp file containing all items
at
>| the time of a "crash" I want to get only the mini.dmp
with
>| details of the program and operation causing the crash.
>|
>| Although I have set System/Advanced/Startup and
>| Recovery/System Failure/Write Debugging Information/
>| to "Small Memory Dump (64KB)" at Directory "%SystemRoot%
>| \Minidump" I continue to receive a Complete Memory Dump
>| on each occasion.
>|
>| Can anyone help please?
>|

>.

Thanks shubhankar for your message.

Dr Watson has been the default debugger throughout.

Please see my reply to Dave Patrick for details of
settings etc.

Can you come up with the answer please?

Aussie John

The settings in Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery are for
memory.dmp aka operating system stop nothing to do with crash dump file
size.

--

"Aussie John" wrote:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| Dr Watson was already set as the Debugging tool with the
| following:-
|
| Log File Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All
| Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson
|
| Crash Dump = C:\Documents and Settings\All
| Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp
|
| Create Crash Dump File is enabled
|
| Dump All Thread Contexts is not enabled.
|
| The System Failure settings are as shown in my cry for
| help.
|
| Induced crashes in a program still produce a 30 MB Dump
| File instead of a 64k Mini Dump.
|
| Can you point me in the right direction please?
|
| Aussie John

Dear Dave,

Once again, thank you.

Aussie John

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Aussie John" wrote:
>| Thanks Dave,
>|
>| Dr Watson was already set as the Debugging tool with the
>| following:-
>|
>| Log File Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All
>| Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson
>|
>| Crash Dump = C:\Documents and Settings\All
>| Users.WINNT\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp
>|
>| Create Crash Dump File is enabled
>|
>| Dump All Thread Contexts is not enabled.
>|
>| The System Failure settings are as shown in my cry for
>| help.
>|
>| Induced crashes in a program still produce a 30 MB Dump
>| File instead of a 64k Mini Dump.
>|
>| Can you point me in the right direction please?
>|
>| Aussie John
>

>.

TRENDING THREADS