XP Activation - Fact or fiction?

Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13) article states
that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow customers to activate XP
online. Instead, customers purchasing stand-alone XP OS's will have to call
MS and undergo the third degree to activate.
OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.

That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I activated a new
XPPro installation last week. However, there's no smoke without fire - so,
what's the true story?
6 answers Last reply
More about activation fact fiction

    In article <8QEZd.165$_u3.95@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, nospam@thank.you
    says...
    > Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13) article states
    > that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow customers to activate XP
    > online. Instead, customers purchasing stand-alone XP OS's will have to call
    > MS and undergo the third degree to activate.
    > OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.
    >
    > That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I activated a new
    > XPPro installation last week. However, there's no smoke without fire - so,
    > what's the true story?

    The following is the truth as far as I know:
    1) As of Feb. 28, 2005, Microsoft has disabled Activation via the
    Internet for the top OEM-produced CDs, such as Dell and Gateway. From
    now on, those who have OEM CDs must make a telephone call to Microsoft's
    activation center and answer a series of questions which supposedly will
    prove that one has a legal OEM CD. At first, this will only apply to
    the top 20 or so OEM installed Operating Systems. Sooner or later, I'm
    sure that Microsoft will extend the new program to all OEM CDs.

    Supposedly, this shouldn't affect most home users much, since OEM
    produced machines will have the OS activated at the factory. However,
    those who need to reinstall their OS will have to call in to activate
    it.

    Microsoft's rationalization of their change to the OEM Eula is that the
    new activation policy is intended to stop software piracy such as
    happens when COA's are pulled from machines which have the OS installed
    at the factory and sold as legal OEM licenses.

    2) This diabling of OEM CDs does not apply to Retail copies of XP. That
    this is so was proved to me when I installed XP Pro using a Retail
    Upgrade CD after Feb. 28, and successfully activated it via the
    Internet.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please post reply to original

    False.

    Retail editions are not affected at all.

    Donald is essentially correct concerning OEM edtions, except that there is
    no information to indicate that OEM cd's provided with built-to-order
    computers by small computer outlets will be affected at any point in the
    future.

    "Donald L McDaniel" <donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <8QEZd.165$_u3.95@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, nospam@thank.you
    > says...
    >> Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13) article
    >> states
    >> that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow customers to activate XP
    >> online. Instead, customers purchasing stand-alone XP OS's will have to
    >> call
    >> MS and undergo the third degree to activate.
    >> OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.
    >>
    >> That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I activated a
    >> new
    >> XPPro installation last week. However, there's no smoke without fire -
    >> so,
    >> what's the true story?
    >>

    > The following is the truth as far as I know:
    > 1) As of Feb. 28, 2005, Microsoft has disabled Activation via the
    > Internet for the top OEM-produced CDs, such as Dell and Gateway. From
    > now on, those who have OEM CDs must make a telephone call to Microsoft's
    > activation center and answer a series of questions which supposedly will
    > prove that one has a legal OEM CD. At first, this will only apply to
    > the top 20 or so OEM installed Operating Systems. Sooner or later, I'm
    > sure that Microsoft will extend the new program to all OEM CDs.
    >
    > Supposedly, this shouldn't affect most home users much, since OEM
    > produced machines will have the OS activated at the factory. However,
    > those who need to reinstall their OS will have to call in to activate
    > it.
    >
    > Microsoft's rationalization of their change to the OEM Eula is that the
    > new activation policy is intended to stop software piracy such as
    > happens when COA's are pulled from machines which have the OS installed
    > at the factory and sold as legal OEM licenses.
    >
    > 2) This diabling of OEM CDs does not apply to Retail copies of XP. That
    > this is so was proved to me when I installed XP Pro using a Retail
    > Upgrade CD after Feb. 28, and successfully activated it via the
    > Internet.
    >
    > --
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please post reply to original
    > Newsgroup, so that threads may
    > be kept intact.

    Thanks, Colin and Donald. Thought they must have got it wrong!
    Sincerely, Len.
    "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
    > Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13) article
    > states that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow customers to activate
    > XP online. Instead, customers purchasing stand-alone XP OS's will have to
    > call MS and undergo the third degree to activate.
    > OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.
    >
    > That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I activated a
    > new XPPro installation last week. However, there's no smoke without fire -
    > so, what's the true story?

    You're welcome.

    > Thanks, Colin and Donald. Thought they must have got it wrong!
    > Sincerely, Len.
    > "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
    >> Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13) article
    >> states that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow customers to
    >> activate XP online. Instead, customers purchasing stand-alone XP OS's
    >> will have to call MS and undergo the third degree to activate.
    >> OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.
    >>
    >> That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I activated a
    >> new XPPro installation last week. However, there's no smoke without
    >> fire - so, what's the true story?

    Donald L McDaniel <donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The following is the truth as far as I know:
    >1) As of Feb. 28, 2005, Microsoft has disabled Activation via the
    >Internet for the top OEM-produced CDs, such as Dell and Gateway. From
    >now on, those who have OEM CDs must make a telephone call to Microsoft's
    >activation center and answer a series of questions which supposedly will
    >prove that one has a legal OEM CD. At first, this will only apply to
    >the top 20 or so OEM installed Operating Systems. Sooner or later, I'm
    >sure that Microsoft will extend the new program to all OEM CDs.
    >
    >Supposedly, this shouldn't affect most home users much, since OEM
    >produced machines will have the OS activated at the factory. However,
    >those who need to reinstall their OS will have to call in to activate
    >it.

    Not quite correct. This change applies to those OEM's whose CDs are
    "BIOS locked" and which will therefore install without activation on a
    system with the correct BIOS from that specific manufacturer.

    The need for manual activation will occur if:
    1. The motherboard is replaced by one that is not from the original
    manufacturer of the computer.
    2. The motherboard BIOS is updated with an update that is not from
    the computer manufacturer - e.g. using a generic AMI/Award BIOS update
    rather than one from the computer manufacturer's web site.

    In these circumstances the owner will be pretty much out of luck
    unless they purchase a new copy of Windows XP.

    >Microsoft's rationalization of their change to the OEM Eula is that the
    >new activation policy is intended to stop software piracy such as
    >happens when COA's are pulled from machines which have the OS installed
    >at the factory and sold as legal OEM licenses.

    That is correct.

    >2) This diabling of OEM CDs does not apply to Retail copies of XP. That
    >this is so was proved to me when I installed XP Pro using a Retail
    >Upgrade CD after Feb. 28, and successfully activated it via the
    >Internet.

    That is also correct.

    Just to emphasize. This change only applies to major brand OEM
    versions of Windows that are BIOS locked. These will have a "system
    recovery" disk or partition; or perhaps a Windows install CD with the
    computer manufacturer's name and logo on it. The BIOS locked
    versions of Windows can be identified by the fact that the "Activate
    Windows" item is not present in the Accessories - System Tools menu.

    Persons with these versions of Windows should not repeat not consider
    upgrading these machines to a new motherboard, unless they purchase
    that motherboard from the manufacturer of their computer.

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Donald L McDaniel wrote:
    > In article <8QEZd.165$_u3.95@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, nospam@thank.you
    > says...
    >> Current "ComputerActive" mag (UK, issue 185, 17th March, p13)
    >> article states that as of end Feb, Microsoft no longer allow
    >> customers to activate XP online. Instead, customers purchasing
    >> stand-alone XP OS's will have to call MS and undergo the third
    >> degree to activate.
    >> OEM's will have to pre-validate pre-installed XP systems.
    >>
    >> That this (the date, anyway) is untrue, I know already, as I
    >> activated a new XPPro installation last week. However, there's no
    >> smoke without fire - so, what's the true story?
    >>

    > The following is the truth as far as I know:
    > 1) As of Feb. 28, 2005, Microsoft has disabled Activation via the
    > Internet for the top OEM-produced CDs, such as Dell and Gateway. From
    > now on, those who have OEM CDs must make a telephone call to
    > Microsoft's activation center and answer a series of questions which
    > supposedly will prove that one has a legal OEM CD. At first, this
    > will only apply to the top 20 or so OEM installed Operating Systems.
    > Sooner or later, I'm sure that Microsoft will extend the new program
    > to all OEM CDs.
    >
    > Supposedly, this shouldn't affect most home users much, since OEM
    > produced machines will have the OS activated at the factory. However,
    > those who need to reinstall their OS will have to call in to activate
    > it.
    >
    > Microsoft's rationalization of their change to the OEM Eula is that
    > the new activation policy is intended to stop software piracy such as
    > happens when COA's are pulled from machines which have the OS
    > installed at the factory and sold as legal OEM licenses.
    >
    > 2) This diabling of OEM CDs does not apply to Retail copies of XP.
    > That this is so was proved to me when I installed XP Pro using a
    > Retail Upgrade CD after Feb. 28, and successfully activated it via the
    > Internet.

    As did I to my parents' system not ten days ago. I didn't even know anything
    about this until now.

Microsoft Windows XP