P5B Deluxe problems.

nburgess

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with a problem I'm having regarding an Asus PB5 Deluxe MoBo I purchased recently.

I've been getting a problem where whenever I turn on the PC, the system seems to start for a second, turn off, then boot properly. After this it reaches a screen where it asks me to "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in the selected boot device and press a key"

This screen is all that I can access, I can't get into the BIOS

I have tried clearing the CMOS, and have removed all hardware except for the video card, a stick of RAM, the hard disk, and a monitor and still get the same results.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Take out RAM and hard disk as well, and try again!

Once you get 1 beep on startup, you know that components are OK so far. If you don't, then reinstall CPU and Heatsink/fan, and make sure the 2x2 connector is plugged into mobo. :)

Rebuild as req'd

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Is this after working for a bit or is this a brand new build that has never booted to windows? Make sure the bios is targeting the right hard drive and use the F6 thing when installing windows.

Does the ASUS splash screen come up? - at this point you hit Delete to get to the bios.

Jo

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I've been getting a problem where whenever I turn on the PC, the system seems to start for a second, turn off, then boot properly.

This happens also when you change settings in the bios and reboot.Do you use raid?If not , correct some of the settings (cant remember which one right now-not much of a help :? ) related with it.
I guess you dont have any floppies inserted right? :)
Answer the questions of the other guys also so we can try and help more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, yes that message is what you're supposed to get. As for not gettting into BIOS, it's a PEBKAC issue.

You seem to be missing the boot screen because it goes by faster than your monitor "kicks on" from standby. The POST screen (or the logo screen that covers it) is there, your monitor is simply responding too slowly for you to see it.

The solution is to start tapping the "delete" key as soon as it powers on the second time, so that you can get into BIOS.

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Er, yes that message is what you're supposed to get. As for not gettting into BIOS, it's a PEBKAC issue.

You seem to be missing the boot screen because it goes by faster than your monitor "kicks on" from standby. The POST screen (or the logo screen that covers it) is there, your monitor is simply responding too slowly for you to see it.

The solution is to start tapping the "delete" key as soon as it powers on the second time, so that you can get into BIOS.

I see... The problem exists somewhere in the table, then, right? ;)

Can this really happen? I've never seen a monitor that didn't respond for about 5 seconds after pushing the power switch.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with a problem I'm having regarding an Asus PB5 Deluxe MoBo I purchased recently.

I've been getting a problem where whenever I turn on the PC, the system seems to start for a second, turn off, then boot properly.This screen is all that I can access, I can't get into the BIOS

I have tried clearing the CMOS, and have removed all hardware except for the video card, a stick of RAM, the hard disk, and a monitor and still get the same results.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using an Antec power supply? They don't get along with the P5W nor P5B. As for getting into Bios, follow Crashman's advice.

I see... The problem exists somewhere in the table, then, right? ;)

Can this really happen? I've never seen a monitor that didn't respond for about 5 seconds after pushing the power switch.

old CRT monitors suffer from this ;)

perhaps also "usb keyboard support" isnt enabled or doesnt exist etc? if you have a usb keyboard?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not even five seconds: Asus enables "quick boot" by default. It's more like 2 seconds. When you get the message, try using "ctl-alt-del" to reset the system and MAYBE you'll see the boot screen.

Some Asus boards only give you around one second to hit the "del" key and enter BIOS. That gets me a little upset sometimes...