Installing Win2K on new harddisk

Hi my friend's hdd with his win 2000 pro needs to be replaced. I
have bought a new harddisk for him.

Can I install Win 2000 in the new hdd using my computer (Athlon
600, Via chipset), then transplant the said hdd to his (different
type of cpu. motherboard, hardware different).

Will the Win 2000 pro boot up, re-detect new hardware? Or just
hangs up with no display?

I asked because I don't want to sit in his house installing W2K and
waiting.

Hung
7 answers Last reply
More about installing win2k harddisk

    You cannot do what you suggest.
    Take his machine to your house!

    Root wrote:

    > Hi my friend's hdd with his win 2000 pro needs to be replaced. I have
    > bought a new harddisk for him.
    >
    > Can I install Win 2000 in the new hdd using my computer (Athlon 600, Via
    > chipset), then transplant the said hdd to his (different type of cpu.
    > motherboard, hardware different).
    >
    > Will the Win 2000 pro boot up, re-detect new hardware? Or just hangs up
    > with no display?
    >
    > I asked because I don't want to sit in his house installing W2K and
    > waiting.
    >
    > Hung

    Greetings --

    Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
    old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
    very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
    subsequent hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Root" <nospamhungkh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi my friend's hdd with his win 2000 pro needs to be replaced. I
    > have bought a new harddisk for him.
    >
    > Can I install Win 2000 in the new hdd using my computer (Athlon 600,
    > Via chipset), then transplant the said hdd to his (different type of
    > cpu. motherboard, hardware different).
    >
    > Will the Win 2000 pro boot up, re-detect new hardware? Or just hangs
    > up with no display?
    >
    > I asked because I don't want to sit in his house installing W2K and
    > waiting.
    >
    > Hung

    > Root wrote:
    >
    > > Hi my friend's hdd with his win 2000 pro needs to be replaced. I have
    > > bought a new harddisk for him.
    > >
    > > Can I install Win 2000 in the new hdd using my computer (Athlon 600, Via
    > > chipset), then transplant the said hdd to his (different type of cpu.
    > > motherboard, hardware different).
    > >
    > > Will the Win 2000 pro boot up, re-detect new hardware? Or just hangs up
    > > with no display?
    > >
    > > I asked because I don't want to sit in his house installing W2K and
    > > waiting.
    > >
    > > Hung

    Cant you just make a copy of the using a ghost boot disk then just swap
    drives,?

    Time to reinstall windows = 2 hours or so
    Time to ghost a drive = 40-50 minutes

    Jud

    You folks are right; I didn't read carefully enough.

    Hung should also check any diskette that came with
    the new drive. Many include a hard drive copy utility
    to do exactly what he wants to do.

    Jud@justmyopinion.ok wrote:

    >>Root wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi my friend's hdd with his win 2000 pro needs to be replaced. I have
    >>>bought a new harddisk for him.
    >>>
    >>>Can I install Win 2000 in the new hdd using my computer (Athlon 600, Via
    >>>chipset), then transplant the said hdd to his (different type of cpu.
    >>>motherboard, hardware different).
    >>>
    >>>Will the Win 2000 pro boot up, re-detect new hardware? Or just hangs up
    >>>with no display?
    >>>
    >>>I asked because I don't want to sit in his house installing W2K and
    >>>waiting.
    >>>
    >>>Hung
    >>

    > Cant you just make a copy of the using a ghost boot disk then just swap
    > drives,?
    >
    > Time to reinstall windows = 2 hours or so
    > Time to ghost a drive = 40-50 minutes
    >
    > Jud

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Snip
    > >
    > > I think if Hung knows about Ghost or Drive Image etc, he wouldn't ask
    > > that sort of question in the first place.

    Well I'll consider myself slapped for suggesting something useful.

    Jud
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Wonder why my Outlook Express don't show all the threads :-(

    Anyway my friend's harddisk crashed and I can't do anything else than
    buy a new harddisk and re-install the OS.

    Hung

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > You folks are right; I didn't read carefully enough.
    >
    > Hung should also check any diskette that came with
    > the new drive. Many include a hard drive copy utility
    > to do exactly what he wants to do.
    >
    > prof chen wrote:
    >

    > > I think if Hung knows about Ghost or Drive Image etc, he wouldn't
    ask
    > > that sort of question in the first place.
    > >
    > > Hung, I suggest you get acquire a problem like Ghost,Drive Image or
    > > Acronis True Image and use it transfer the Windows 2000 image from
    the
    > > old one to the new one.
    > >
    > > It will save you an awful lot of trouble.
    > >
    > > prof chen

    > >> Cant you just make a copy of the using a ghost boot disk then just
    swap
    > >> drives,?
    > >>
    > >> Time to reinstall windows = 2 hours or so
    > >> Time to ghost a drive = 40-50 minutes
    > >>
    > >> Jud

Hardware Hard Drives Windows