Sign in with
Your question

Noises from my cpu during stress testing

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2007 12:16:35 AM

Hi all,

I'm using a core2duo e6600 OC'ed to 2.93GHz, and when I run Prime95 and torture test both of my cores, I can hear a subtle high pitched sound coming from my case. I'm assuming it's the cpu since I'm putting it under maximum stress. Is this normal? I've been running Prime95 for a couple hours now, and no errors so far. Thanks.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2007 12:31:52 AM

It's more likely that the sound you're describing is originating from either the motherboard or power supply. When the CPU is placed under load, it in turn loads the voltage regulators on the motherboard (Vcore) which in turn loads a 12 volt rail in the PSU.

You may want to open your case while repeating your stress test and attempt to determine exactly where the sound originates. Also, if you have SpeedFan, you can observe the PSU outputs as well as Vcore by using the "Charts" to check for excessive ripple or oscillations.

Hope this helps.

Comp 8)
March 3, 2007 12:58:39 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.
Here's my build:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.93
CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper TX
Mobo: eVGA nVidia nForce 680i SLI
Graphics: 2x eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB in SLI (Stock Speeds)
RAM: Corsair xms2 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400PRO
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music
HD: 2x SATA Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache in RAID 0
Power: nVidia SLI Certified Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
Case: Thermaltake Armor w/ 250mm Window Fan
Drive: LiteOn SATA 16X DVD Burner

All fans at maximum speed (Still fairly quiet, minus the nforce fan)

The squeeky noise sounds like it's coming from my memory sticks. My memory sticks have these activity LED lights on them that light up based on how much they're in use. Everytime the lights begin to dim, the squeeking noise pauses for a fraction of a second. So I'm guessing the sound has to do with the memory? Thanks.
Related resources
March 3, 2007 3:46:13 AM

I hope it's from the LEDs, but I never knew LEDs could possibly make sounds. I'm afraid something might be wrong with the internal transistors of the memory itself. The memory isn't overclocked, and I've been running prime95 for about 4 hours now, and no errors. I'm using TAT to monitor CPU temps, and they are about 43C under load while running Prime95.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2007 4:07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm using TAT to monitor CPU temps, and they are about 43C under load while running Prime95.

Masterdefier, TAT is misreporting your load temps, which are offset by -15c. Your actual load temps should be 58c, which is quite normal on the scale. Check out the following Sticky for information regarding appropriate temps: :idea:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. :wink:

Comp 8)
!