Sign in with
Your question

UPS vs FedEx - Who do you trust to deliver the Goods?

Last response: in Systems

Who do you trust to deliver your PC Hardware Goods?

Total: 47 votes (6 blank votes)

• UPS
  • 40 %
  • Fed Ex
  • 61 %
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2007 12:47:17 AM

I need some advice from the forumz.

I am planning on buying PC parts on New Egg in about a week to build a new PC computer from the ground up. MOBO, Vid Card, Processor, Ram, Case, PSU, the works.

Over the past few months I have seen multiple negative comments from reviewers on newegg.com about UPS shipping and how people receive banged up boxes.

Yet, I have not seen a single complaint about Fed Ex in reviews.

I am kinda in a dilema. I want FEDEX but they are nearly twice as expensive as UPS if not more so.

If you were me who would you pick? Is UPS really that bad or are these unfounded rumors?

If any one had a good or bad experience with either please post it. Is Fed Ex really worth twice the shipping costs?
March 3, 2007 12:59:48 AM

I have recently dealt with both companies, and also DHL. First order from NewEgg and one from Compusa. I forgot that neither one delivers to PO Boxes. UPS got to Seattle, said no way and sent back to Newegg. Fedex called me twice, first time it went north of me, where PO box is, then south of me where they deliver to Seattle area. It took almost a week extra but I got the package. I had to sign for FedEx. Ups drops it on the porch. Newegg credited my account and I reordered, 2nd time saved money on one of my choices. They all have rough handling at times, but more often it comes no problem. They both have excellent service if there is a problem ( I do shipping at work) and Newegg works with you. So you are paying for speed of delivery.
March 3, 2007 1:40:17 AM

How can Brown let you down?
Related resources
March 3, 2007 1:54:51 AM

I have heard (specially from ebay sellers) that UPS doesnt take enough care of delicate stuff. I also heard they really dont know how to handle delicate packages and that they throw the stuff. Dont know if it is true or not but I havent have any problem with them. Just once that I received a box in very bad conditions but the item was ok inside.

Fedex, I would say I trusth them more. For some reason, all my packages get here in perfect status.
March 3, 2007 2:01:33 AM

I have to say that Newegg knows how to package their products. I really like that they put so much bubblewrap so all the things inside never get a single damage.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2007 2:08:08 AM

Quote:
I have to say that Newegg knows how to package their products. I really like that they put so much bubblewrap so all the things inside never get a single damage.

I am glad you told me that. I have not bought from New Egg before but I have just heard nothing but the best about them.

I think I may take the risk and go with UPS since you say they package so well.

It looks like people are voting for Fed ex by a land slide in my poll though.
March 3, 2007 2:18:13 AM

Ive used both FedEx an UPS, mostly USP since there cheaper. I havent had any problems yet. I ordered something from newegg yesturday night, shipping is UPS ground.

Ive never had newegg send me a package with bubble wrap in it, in my packages they just fill the box of with packing peanuts. Nothing has ever been damaged.

I wouldnt ship fedex because of the extra cost, they dont seem to be any better or worst then UPS.

So, IMO.

Newegg? Awesome.
UPS? Awesome.
FedEx? Awesome.
March 3, 2007 2:19:44 AM

I used to trust FedEx, but about 4 years ago, they managed to lose a transmission, refused to admit that it was their fault, and would not give me a refund for the value of the transmission. Now I can understand losing a small package, it can fall off a line somewhere and not get found for a while, but if a 4ft long, 100+lbs car transmission falls off a line, you should damn well know it.

As a result of that, unless there is a massive difference in shipping price I will use UPS.
March 3, 2007 2:26:32 AM

I have had a lot of electronics delivered by UPS and have never had a problem. This ranges from hard drives to complete compters. I had fed-ex deliver a DVD writer once and no problem there either. Item with both companies will change quite a few times a lot can happen there. For example I just ordered a video card. It went form new egg to the california dist center then put on a truck to Desmoins, Ia then Davenport,IA to addison, Il then to Bedford Park and then on to my house. I don't know if fed ex is the same I have never tracked a package with them, it just arrived next day. I still don't understand how a package ordered @ 3:00pm comes in at 9:30am the next day from AK to IL.
March 3, 2007 2:29:34 AM

I go with UPS since its cheaper from newegg, but I like fexex more because my packages come at about 10 in the morning where I live, as opposed to 5 or 6 in the afternoon from UPS. But that's just me and the 900 people in my building...
March 3, 2007 3:58:24 AM

I've had problems with both Fedex and UPS, including stolen packages. IMO they both suxxor. I use USPS whenever possible.
March 3, 2007 4:38:32 AM

If I want it fast I go Fed-ex.....however if I am not in a rush, Ill use UPS' cheaper rates....altho lately the buttheads are leaving things in front of the garage instead of on the covered front porch and they get rained on :p  Which is why I may just start using Fed-Ex all the time
March 3, 2007 4:40:45 AM

Quote:
I still don't understand how a package ordered @ 3:00pm comes in at 9:30am the next day from AK to IL.

Airplanes 8)
March 3, 2007 10:39:43 AM

When i seen this post my eye jumped out cause i actually work for UPS, lol. So as to not to take sides i'll say this. UPS is cheaper than Fed Ex (especially since they increased thier prices by about 5% this year). Now apart form working for UPS i build my own PC's so i can speak from experience in using both Fed Ex and UPS.

I built a complete system with New Egg (who uses UPS) and Zip Zoom Fly (who uses Fed-Ex). New Egg does a great job packaging material. My video card, PSU and CPU were packaged to the rim with bubble wrap and peanuts. UPS got here faster only cause of the area i live in (ironically there is a Fed-EX hub that is about a few blocks away and they still cannot figure out how to deliver to UPS. I think it's on purpose, lol). Fed-Ex always got lost and i had to keep calling them to hold my package so i can pick it up straight from the hub. Imagine a me walking in with my UPS shirt on, logo flashing in all it's glory, inside a hub with all Fed-Ex guys starring me down. It was not a pleasent moment, lol but package quality wise i didnt see any damage or mistreatment, nor with my UPS delivered package.

Safest way to deliver is always air because those packages are treated with extra care. No idea how Fed-Ex does it but with UPS once your package is flaged as an air package, especially 1st or 2nd day, when they are picked up they are brought to a place we call an "air sort". From there your package is scanned and placed into a air canister that can hold just about 100-300 (depending on size) other packages. These canisters are loaded into a 43 to 53 foot trailer, driven to the airport and handed off to the airport's UPS hub. From there the entire canister is loaded into a plane with other canisters, flown to a city then picked up by whatever truck is going to the closest hub you live at. The canister is unloaded, scaned, sorted to the area that handles packages that deliver to your location, and sent to the UPS hub that is close to ya. Then in the early mornings your package placed on a package cart then delivered into your hands.

Fed-Ex? they just smash, bash and throw your stuff. Just kidding i'm sure they follow our same procedues but if you want it to come down, go with the brown. And like the other guy said, how can brown let you down?!!
March 3, 2007 11:35:56 AM

I have to admit Fedex is way more expensive and thats why I choose UPS.

something that i hate but is funny though is when I get a package from newegg, and I have to take out the product from the box, the white peanuts start fallin off and then I have to pick them up which is a time waste ! :twisted:
March 3, 2007 11:40:47 AM

8O

Your kidding ...right?

I worked at a UPS hub as a night auditor for 2 years putting myself thru college. If you knew what happens to packages on their "belt" system, you would never send a computer thru it.

FedEx all the way ... dont even THINK of putting your computer thru a UPS hub (where all packages have to go thru to get to their destination).
Believe me when I say it will get kicked, dropped,hit, etc. when going thru the UPS gauntlet of "package stress testing".

AMD X2 4400+ @2.7
Asus A8N5X
BenQ FP202W 20.1" WXGA 1680 X 1050
4 x 1024 Corsair PC3200
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Sony DVD+R/CD Writer
Liteon DVD/CD+R Writer
2 WD 250GB Sata2 16MB cache HDD
Antec 550 Watt True Power PSU
256MB Asus 6800GT
Altec Lansing 2.1 Speakers
Windows XP Pro SP2
March 3, 2007 12:16:33 PM

Quote:
I have recently dealt with both companies, and also DHL. First order from NewEgg and one from Compusa. I forgot that neither one delivers to PO Boxes. UPS got to Seattle, said no way and sent back to Newegg. Fedex called me twice, first time it went north of me, where PO box is, then south of me where they deliver to Seattle area. It took almost a week extra but I got the package. I had to sign for FedEx. Ups drops it on the porch. Newegg credited my account and I reordered, 2nd time saved money on one of my choices. They all have rough handling at times, but more often it comes no problem. They both have excellent service if there is a problem ( I do shipping at work) and Newegg works with you. So you are paying for speed of delivery.
I've had UPS ship to a PO box a few times...
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2007 12:17:16 PM

I ship on average between 50-150 packages a day, sometimes as many 3000 per day. Been doing it for over 15 years.
OVERALL, for me, based on thousands of shipments, UPS has achieved a 98.3% success rate. FedEx, an even 93%.
March 3, 2007 12:57:26 PM

Since Newegg has several shipping sites across the country, just go with their cheapest option. It would really suck to pay more to ship your stuff only to find out it would've gotten there the same day for less. When I did shipping, we had an idiot who always insisted on next day from NH to CT ( same shipping zone). Basically $20 free to the shipper everytime.
March 3, 2007 3:45:57 PM

I support FedEx because they try to resist the unions. Nothing kills productivity like a union.
March 3, 2007 4:06:07 PM

I prefer FedEx. When Newegg dropped FedEx as their primary delivery service I have to admit I was disappointed. UPS is okay I suppose, but FedEX seems more organized to me.

I never had any problems with FedEx, but I did have a couple of issues with UPS.

1. I called the UPS depot to hold my package so that I could personally pick it up after work. They tried to deliver it anyway and I had to wait another day.

2. One time UPS simply left the package in front of my apartment door in plain sight for anyone passing by to take.
March 3, 2007 5:00:55 PM

Quote:
I support FedEx because they try to resist the unions. Nothing kills productivity like a union.

i believe FedEx just joined the union actually.

being a UPS loader as well, i have to disagree with the poster about the mistreatment along the belt. im pretty good gettin the packages from the belt onto the cars and ive seen other guys work around me and no one is just throwin boxes around. plus, its up to the shipper to make sure theyve got their stuff packed nice and good so it can take a bit of a beating.
March 3, 2007 5:27:47 PM

I have to segregate by handling. Air either one is about even. Ground then it depends on what hub it goes through. I live in Texas and there are two UPS hubs that I seem to get packages through. Mesquite seems to have delay problems, Houston does pretty well. Fedex ground sorting facility in Ft Worth is a disaster. I have had delays and theft (more than once)problems there. The UPS hub in Hodgkins Ill can be a problem. Packages that go through Hodgkins then Mesquite take two days longer than stuff shipped through Memphis and Houston.

Locally I have had the same UPS carrier for about 5 years and he is outstanding. Fedex ground has been a game of Russian roulette. I live about 800 ft back from the road and I have had Fedex ground dump the package at the gate. My UPS guy brings it up to the house as does one of the irregular Fedex Ground drivers.

Final caveat DHL ground is 3-4 days to east coast and 3 days to the west coast for me. UPS depending on the sort centers involved are 5 days min 8 days max to the east or west coast. Fedex ground is a flat 7 days either way. So with Newegg I usually have it shipped by UPs from the West coast and especially if the item is coming from Memphis. I have a 66 Mustang and order parts frequently from National Parts Depot. 10 years ago I could order from the Gainesville Fl warehouse and have the parts in 3 days by Fedex ground that is now a full week. Same with Summitt Racing out of Ohio. With Newegg the 3 day Select is the best option if it is offered on your item.
March 3, 2007 6:58:41 PM

USPS & DHL where possible are by far better than UPS & FedEx. Yes, UPS & FedEx occasionally get the product there a day sooner, but its not worth the risk of a damaged/lost item in my opinion. Both UPS & FedEx have let me down on numerous occasions in the past, although I have not used them in ~ 3 years on account of that.

USPS has a decent amount of shipping options to boot.

For you NewEgg fanatics, sadly, I'ld say its a tossup, probably leaning towards FedEx.
March 4, 2007 1:12:21 AM

Quote:

Amen to that!!! UPS has to contend with Teamsters... and My father used to be Hub Manager in West Virginia....things have gotten better since those days but there is still quite an "organized" presence in the business.
March 4, 2007 2:05:58 AM

I'll always pay the Extra 50 cents for the Fedex. Atleas they call me to let me know the package is comming, UPS and others just SURPRISE were here, your not? Maybe another day... lol
March 4, 2007 2:06:22 AM

Quote:

Safest way to deliver is always air because those packages are treated with extra care. ...

This is exactly right. Packages shipped "ground" by FedEx get just as beat up (or not) as by UPS ground. The key thing is to find a vendor with both good prices AND cheap 2nd day shipping. For example, I've found that with Zipzoomfly (where most items have free ground shipping), it often only costs a few $ more to upgrade to 2nd day. Similarly at Frys.com and pcconnection.com (which both use DHL). Vendors that use UPS always seem to have a big cost difference between ground and 2-day shipping.
March 4, 2007 2:45:03 AM

I've wanted to try Fedex for my internet shopping, but find it not really worth it.

So I've have UPS service for just about everything I've ordered off the internet.

I don't ever recall any package being crumpled or abused. :lol: 

But then NewEgg, and all the other places I've ordered packed the merchandise very well to keep it from being damaged.

Edit: though I really haven't order anything that was very big.. yet.

Though I do love it when I find an item that I want that has free shipping, which is done by UPS.
March 4, 2007 9:24:04 PM

Just wanted to make a comment about the Unions. They have nothing to do with the quality of which packages are shipped. One union UPS guy is no different than a non-union Fed-Ex guy. UPS has a union because we are the BIGGEST trucking company in the world. We have more trucks on the ground with our logo on it than FEd-Ex and DHL COMBINED (do your research and do the math). In the facinity i work in, we process a minimum of 250K to 350K packages a day (my hub is HUGE) and during the holiday season that number doubles. Unions have nothing to do with the quality of how your package is handled, they are for the employee's rights and protection. UPS has more hub locations than FEd-Ex because were are EVERYWHERE. Some poster made a good point, the qauality of your package depends on the hub it goes through to get to you. No company can say they dont damage packages, not UPS or Fed-Ex. It's the shiiper's responsibility to make certain thier packages can survive transit so if you get a package from UPS or FEd-EX and it has no protection inside it's not thier problem but the shipper. UPS or Fed-Ex is a coin toss really. Go with who is cheaper and who is closer to you. That's the best advice i can give.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2007 1:58:49 AM

This message board post that I started is very intresting. Most people who responed back to my post stated they favored UPS. However the Survey shows that most people voted for Fed Ex 23 to 15.

Well, I started this post before I went on a weeks vacation to Florida to let all of you people on the Tom's Hardware Forumz to speak so I could hear what you all think.

The result:
I ordered my PC parts on Sunday and should be getting the first shipment tomorrow (Wednesday) by UPS.

I will let you know how it turned out.

I would like to thank the 2 former UPS employees who gave me postive insight about the company. It makes me feel a little bit better about my decision.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2007 1:24:24 AM

Well....UPS delivered. And delivered well too.

I was really relieved. Got 3 boxes. All in excellent shape. Not dents or even a hint of crush damage.

I cut my shipping costs in half by going with UPS. When it is time to upgrade I am going to have to go with the men in Brown again.

I even had a monitor delivered and the box looked perfect.

Got my new PC running. Got to tweak it just a little and I will be good to go.
March 23, 2007 3:01:45 AM

Let me answer this question from another perspective.

I ship via various package and freight carriers.

Every carrier has a significant rate of package damages and loses.

Yes, let me repeat that comment.

Every carrier has a significant rate of package damages and loses.

But before anybody gets out their tar and feathers, lets pass the blame onto the real culprits for all those damages.... I am to blame.

Actually it is me, and every other high volume package shipper.

Let me explain.

I ship heavy machinary. Packages the size of a small inkjet printer that weigh 70 to 120 lbs. When one of my packages hits your computer part package, well to be blunt, something is going to give up and lose the battle and I don't think it is going to be my package.

My friend down the street ships cast steel fence posts. When one of his packages breaks open his fence posts resemble steel javlins that will pierce your Apple Computer box and the computer within.

Another business in the neighborhood makes a chemical fertilizer which is a hazardous material but legal to ship via UPS or FedEx ground with a hazardous material permit. 4 single gallons are packaged in a box. Sometimes one of his gallons will leak. The fluid will EAT the label off every shipping box on the truck.

Anybody catch a pattern here?

I strongly believe that most small package damages and loses are the result of the other goods shipped and the responsibility of the shipper packaging those goods, rather than the fault of the shipping company.

People will complain about 1 carrier or another. It is usually referred to a problem in a specific region or service center. Well duh, if my packages are being shipped in your region on that specific carrier, I would expect a large number of crushed packages being delivered.

These problems are amplified by many many carriers shipping heavy, sharp, etc packages.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Sure. UPS, Fedex etc recommend specific packaging methods to protect packages from harm during shipping.

We translate those recommendations and tell our employees during their training that a package should be packed well enough to be dropped from shoulder height unto the floor without breaking. The package should also be able to withstand a direct hit of another package (weighing at least 100 lbs) being dropped from shoulder height.

Unfortunately some shippers look at shipping problems from only their perspective, they forget that I (and my friends) exist. I see way too many packages that are adaquate for their product and meet minimal shipping standards but fail to protect their goods from my packages.

So next time you receive a package take a real good look at the packaging. Could the shippers packaging really have protected the goods from being crushed, speared or leaked upon?
March 23, 2007 9:34:14 AM

Quote:
When i seen this post my eye jumped out cause i actually work for UPS, lol. [/quote

Calling all the people who ever wanted to slack of a Ups man, here is your chance, we got a live one folks :lol: 

Oh and UPS suck big time , Useless Pathetic Service :evil:  . I just Fedex my stuff :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2007 10:04:36 AM

Fedex makes you sign a release that you are responsible for the loss of packages delivered in front of your door. UPS doesn't...
In my area UPS is more reliable than Fedex. UPS delivers in the evening while you are at home, except for cheap packages.
March 23, 2007 10:20:32 AM

I am a gearhead and have a lot of arftermarket parts sent to my home. I also send parts out all over the country from time to time. I have had two issues with UPS. One was some front suspension components that were going from Ohio to Cali. The buyer said UPS called, because supposedly the box broke open. Mind you, it was a REALLY tough box, and there was no way for it to come open, unless it was terribly mishandled. It turned into a big mess, but they did end up paying the buyer for the total insured cost.

The other was just last night, UPS. I heard a big thud on the porch and by the time I get out there the UPS "dude" is pealing away in the big brown POS. Got a new aluminum radiator for my 68 Dart, box looks all beat to hell. Guess what, radiator had a nice big dent in the top.

I have not had problems with FedEx and don't think I have dealt with DHL.

I have not had any issues with computer equipment. The stuff is generally pretty lightweight, and packed pretty well from the manufacture. NewEgg rocks, I do a lot of ordering through them, and they do take the time to package well.
March 23, 2007 11:35:07 AM

Quote:
I have heard (specially from ebay sellers) that UPS doesnt take enough care of delicate stuff. I also heard they really dont know how to handle delicate packages and that they throw the stuff. Dont know if it is true or not but I havent have any problem with them. Just once that I received a box in very bad conditions but the item was ok inside.

Fedex, I would say I trusth them more. For some reason, all my packages get here in perfect status.

That's been my friends experience as well. He mailed himself his computer from New York to Idaho and when it arrived the side panel was so dented it wouldn't fit, front plastic was broken and a corner of the steel chassis was bent.
March 24, 2007 4:59:13 PM

Fedex plain and simple

I've had several issues with late deliveries and UPS
March 24, 2007 5:09:43 PM

Quote:

Amen to that!!! UPS has to contend with Teamsters... and My father used to be Hub Manager in West Virginia....things have gotten better since those days but there is still quite an "organized" presence in the business.

This is exactly opposite of what I think.. That is why I use UPS! Teamsters for life!
March 24, 2007 5:14:11 PM

Fedex has been delivering a lot of really beat-up packages lately. Whole sides crushed in, that sort of thing. UPS on the other hand is always polite and the packages arrive in good shape.

Plus they're cheaper.

So you can see where I stand on this.
March 24, 2007 5:45:01 PM

In NYC at least, FedEx is the way to go. For me they're always on time and packages arrive in good shape.

I've actually caught our UPS delivery people "fake" delivering packages three seperate times. This is when the delivery person goes to your door and just leaves the "delivery attempted" notice, but doesn't ring your bell and doesn't take the package off the truck. On the third attempt, they will actually bring the package off the truck, but by that time you've usually given up waiting.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why I would wait all day on the scheduled date of delivery, but no delivery would ever show up. Was I in the shower? Was my buzzer broken? After a while I got wise to it, and watched for the truck to see what was going on. Sure enough, the UPS delivery truck pulled up to my street, a guy got out without any packages, and proceeded to tack "delivery attempted" notices on apartment building doors without ringing. When I started yelling at the guy that I was wise to his sh&t, he just bolted. I called UPS customer service to complain and they just apologized and said "that happens a lot". This same thing continued to happen with two other shipments with different people. After the second time I just gave up calling customer service to complain. All in all, the UPS delivery people that I've encountered in NYC, while usually friendly, are a bunch of lazy mamalukes.
March 24, 2007 6:00:14 PM

use fedex, ups is wayyy to expensive and is sometimes really slow
March 24, 2007 7:20:45 PM

Quote:

UPS is cheaper than Fedex.
March 24, 2007 8:31:47 PM

StevieD makes a very good point. You shippers are to blame!! No just kidding but let me vent. I work for UPS as a Area Supervisor. Basically my job is to manage a team of 10 to 18 package loaders/sorters who fill up our trailers that drive your packages across state lines to other UPS hubs for either delivery or for further transport (cause a package going from Cali to NYC via ground has to make several Hub stops to be xfered to a new trailer). Damage to packages are about 40% of the time caused by other packages damaging them in some way shape or form. I have seen people actually try to ship car and truck transmissions in cardboard boxes. Yea the cheap kind ya buy at the local post office box. Others try to ship 120lbs worth of thick steel gear parts wraping them literally as if they were an x-mas gift in cheap construction paper and slapping a shipping label on it. These kind of dumb packaging cause alot of damage. You pick up a box filled with a transmission and of corse that big ass thing is gonna tear through the box like a knife through butter and fall on your Dell box. Companies that ship for instance package containing printer toner wrap the package in NO PROTECTION at all. Basically throws ink toner in a box with no tape and attempt to ship it. I have seen so many muticolor clouds of print toner ink float around the building they look like smoke bombs when they drop. Its the sole responsibility of the shipper to properly package thier boxes. You dont toss a mobo in an oversided box and expect it to arrive safely to it's destination. 90% of the time if a package is packed good it gets to the reciever good.

Oh by the way, UPS is cheaper than Fed Ex because before the x-mas season of 2006 they announced they will be increasing thier shipping cost by 3.5% to 5% at the start of Jan 2007. We're cheaper and we are everywhere. What more can you ask for. Man, i think i've worked for UPS to long, i sound like a commerical, lol.
March 24, 2007 10:56:11 PM

Quote:

UPS is cheaper than Fedex.

Must depend on method and area. I recently sent a ton of packages via FedEx ground. FedEx was less than half the price of UPS ground (almost 1/3). All packages arrived at the destination fast and intact.
March 24, 2007 10:59:23 PM

I think it depends on where you are which is better (of FedEx or UPS).

However, in my experience, regardless of where you are, avoid DHL at all costs if you can. I've had more problems with them than FedEx and UPS combined.

I used to be a big UPS fan but noticed that FedEx ground is much cheaper than UPS ground now. Also, I stopped shipping computer parts to my current address via UPS 4-5 years ago when they delivered a heavy steel computer case that was pretty much destroyed. That being said, I do still get *lots* of other packages via UPS without problems.

I have yet to have any problems with FedEx to my current address.
March 25, 2007 1:03:47 AM

fedex for the delicate stuff[ mobo, hdd, dvdrw, vid, ect...]
ups for the tougher stuff [ spindles of dvds, software, books, ink ect..]
if you care about it, dont want to deal with rma, or dont want it left on your doorstep while your gone, then go with fedex.
March 25, 2007 2:02:38 AM

More than a union ( dont insult them btw, sometimes a useful thing) Fedex also takes care of their employees pretty well; hense why they have no unionized force....
March 25, 2007 6:20:00 AM

StevieD here again (from the shippers perspective).

I have read quite a few comments about price differences between FedEx and UPS.

The published rates are available at the respective shippers websites, and for my comparisons I will use the published rates.

The comparison didn't take very long.

The rates are IDENTICAL.

Ok, there are some differences. A penny there. A nickle another place. From my location Zip Code 12345 is Zone 2 for UPS and Zone 3 in FedEx, but Zip Code 54321 is Zone 3 for UPS and Zone 2 for FedEx.

Bottom line, if I shipped 10,000 packages via both carriers my invoices based upon published prices would be essentially identical.

There are differences in "incentives" and shipping contracts. Those differences are more in tuned to the marketing scheme of the day than actual shipping differences.

So why the "differences" exclaimed by package customers?

First and foremost, customers are stupid. Sorry to say that, but it is true. Customers are stupid. And yes I am a customer. So I am stupid as well.

Take those lovely published rate tables. Does anybody really read the tables AND the fine print. In this case the fine print is even more important than the basic rate table.

A 1 lb package shipped ground in Zone 2 (the shortest shipping zone) can cost as little as $4.00. It can also cost as much as $8.50 for basic ground service. The reason for the various prices? The first charge is called DAS. DAS, also known as Delivery Area Surcharge, is applied to rural, remote and difficult delivery zip codes. DAS applies to both commercial and residential deliveries. And then there is the Residential Surcharge. And don't forget the Fuel Surcharge.

So the basic rate can increase by $4 to $5 right off the bat.

And then there are those greedy shippers. Yes, there are guys who ship "freight free". I laugh when I read "freight free", like UPS and FedEx are really going to do it for free. No, the shipper is building the freight into the selling price of the goods. The rest of the world will charge the customer the freight charge..... plus a little extra sometimes (more often than not).

(by the way, net ... meaning landed costs after freight .... are typically lower if the vendor charges freight above and beyond the cost of the goods versus the guys that build freight into the cost of the goods, but customers are stupid, actually a better phrase would be "customers are sheep" and customers like the idea of freight free even if it costs them more in the long run)

My packing charge is based upon the class of the goods shipped and ranges from $1.25 to $18.00 per package. The $18.00 is going to apply to a few heavy weight and some very difficult products to package.

But even at the 1 lb shipping weight I am adding $1.25 as a packing charge.

So the published $4.00 for 1 lb suddenly can cost $5.50 to nearly $10.00.

And some shippers boost their shipping prices even more.

So when you compare the UPS rate from GreedieParts.com and the rate is $19.75 to ship a 1 lb package across town, while SmoothOperators.com will ship the same package via FedEx three states away for $9.00, the rate differences are not due to the shipping companies but what each part vendor thought they could get away with.

There has a been a question raised about why certain vendors charge more for FedEx than UPS.

This answer is even more complicated. Remember those shipping Zones? The Zones range basically range from 2-8. 2 is local region. 3 is further away.... 8 is across country. Well those Zones are important.

Let's say you buy something to be shipped from Chicago to Dallas. Chicago to Dallas is a Zone 5 for all carriers. But the location of the terminals in Dallas will impact your actual shipping Zone. Let's say for the moment that you live on the North side of Dallas and carrier A has their major service hub on the North side of Dallas, then I can be pretty certain that you will receive Zone 5 rates. But what if you lived on the South side of Dallas? Then for carrier A you might be billed at Zone 6 (higher) rates.

Now, if carrier B had their major hub on the South side of Dallas, and you lived on the South side of Dallas, and you are located on the south side of Dallas, you would most likely receive the Zone 5 rates.

And there can be a big difference the charges between rate zones.

Some some vendors are actually being fair in charging for one carrier over another. Sometimes there is a real difference in the charges.

That said, historically FedEx was an express package carrier. Express meaning AIR. UPS was historically a ground package carrier. People remember the old days. I have customers that will say something to the effect of "I need you to FedEx that package by UPS", and I know that the customer is actually asking for Next Day Air service by UPS.

Remember those "incentives" and shipping contracts that I mentioned before? Using two carriers can be advantageous. I can receive big incentives from one carrier for my air packages, while the other carrier will offer big incentives on ground packages. And next contract period they will reverse themselves.

Thus some vendors will use carrier for AIR and one carrier for ground. To keep things from really getting confusing (and due to those incentives I am receiving), I may push one carrier (through shipping costs) over another carrier.

Then again, there is the stupid customer problem. Customers remembering the old days when FedEx was an Air company. If I was GreedieParts.com and I knew that customers were stupid and I could take advantage of the customers stupidity I might charge extra for FedEx, even when I was sending the package via FedEx GROUND.
March 25, 2007 8:55:05 AM

Okay... I may be stupid in some cases.

But I don't think the prices are identical in some cases, since I usually buy my stuff from NewEgg.

There are items that are free shipping (UPS only 3 days). Though when I switch it to FedEx Saver, its $8.80 (dvd example), yet nothing is for free on FedEx's side.

Now it's also hard to get identical shipping price, especially when one site may ship an order, but the parts come from different states, like from NewEgg.

Also, when I shop for the lowest price, like on a MB, one site may have the lowest price on a particular MB, but yet they charge the most in shipping. Like over 11 bucks vs 5-6 bucks from NewEgg. In most cases, other sites don't really give you that many choices in shipping.

The only thing I know I can count on from FedEx, is if I needed the item the next day or over night, I can count on them over UPS. Which, I usually don't need something the next day.
March 25, 2007 9:54:19 AM

Quote:
USPS & DHL where possible are by far better than UPS & FedEx. Yes, UPS & FedEx occasionally get the product there a day sooner, but its not worth the risk of a damaged/lost item in my opinion. Both UPS & FedEx have let me down on numerous occasions in the past, although I have not used them in ~ 3 years on account of that.

USPS has a decent amount of shipping options to boot.

For you NewEgg fanatics, sadly, I'ld say its a tossup, probably leaning towards FedEx.

FYI. Fedex owns DHL....Its the south american subsidiary of Fedex brought into north america recently (remember those commercials about fedex employees joking about working for dhl?)

Go for the cheaper one. And c'mon people, you just lean to fedex because their color scheme is better:p  Take what the guy said, 98%+ reliability from UPS, fedex ~93%. Thats almost a 1-7 chance someone fubes up!

A friend of mine works for canada post, 99% are foreign workers (citizens, just very new ones) very grateful for the job, they do a good job and are paid rediculous sums of money for it. They are unionized which lowers job stress, less stress, less stress induced screw-ups, and less cover ups for said screw ups. If I knew i'd lose my job if i made a mistake, i sure as heck would try to cover my tracks, hense fedex having a slightly lower reliability than UPS. Deliving stuff isnt rocket science, but it does require content-ness on the job, unions deliver that, fed-ex is just fed-stress. I have lots of stories to back this up, anyways, unions kick-ass.
!