comcast HD

What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times before
but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set and dumped
DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I saw it last night
for the first time and it looked like complete s**t. You could see what
amounted to background static on almost every channel and the images didn't
appear much sharper to me (if any) than regular broadcast television (the
DTV picture I'm used to is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine details
that you'd normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing the
video so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was pretty
disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was mentally
trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and spending $3000 more
on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At least he's enjoying the HBO on
demand (that DOES sound cool :)).
15 answers Last reply
More about comcast

    "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:NuIXc.45$hq5.28@trndny09...
    > What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times before
    > but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set and dumped
    > DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I saw it last
    night
    > for the first time and it looked like complete s**t. You could see what
    > amounted to background static on almost every channel and the images
    didn't
    > appear much sharper to me (if any) than regular broadcast television (the
    > DTV picture I'm used to is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine
    details
    > that you'd normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing the
    > video so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was pretty
    > disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was mentally
    > trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and spending $3000
    more
    > on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At least he's enjoying the HBO
    on
    > demand (that DOES sound cool :)).

    There is no background "static" or snow in digital HD. There is either a
    perfect picture or a blank/skipping screen.
    There may be a technical problem somewhere.

    Comcast's HD here in Richmond looks quite good - especially the INHD and
    DiscoveryHD eye-candy stuff.

    interesting. it was only in certain places and appeared to be part of the
    image rather than the overall screen, so i was attributing it to digital
    compression or something else that would only affect certain colors or areas
    of the screen.

    "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:2HJXc.1002$qY.128@trndny05...
    > interesting. it was only in certain places and appeared to be part of the
    > image rather than the overall screen, so i was attributing it to digital
    > compression or something else that would only affect certain colors or
    areas
    > of the screen.

    Did it appear to be a blocking or large pixellation kind of artifact or fine
    grain "noise"?
    Or was it wiggly looking artifacts along sharp lines of contrast?

    The pixellation artifacts are indicative of inadequate bandwidth.
    The artifacts along lines of contrast are indicative of overcompression.

    Fine grain noise, to me, indicates faulty equipment somewhere... in fact,
    "snow" at the source end can indeed lead to overcompression and artifacts
    since too much of the compression structure is taken trying to digitize and
    portray the noise and not enough for the picture.

    I take it back, he has Adelphia.

    "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:2HJXc.1002$qY.128@trndny05...
    > interesting. it was only in certain places and appeared to be part of the
    > image rather than the overall screen, so i was attributing it to digital
    > compression or something else that would only affect certain colors or
    > areas of the screen.
    >
    > "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:NuIXc.45$hq5.28@trndny09...
    >>> What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times
    >>> before
    >>> but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set and
    >>> dumped
    >>> DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I saw it last
    >> night
    >>> for the first time and it looked like complete s**t. You could see what
    >>> amounted to background static on almost every channel and the images
    >> didn't
    >>> appear much sharper to me (if any) than regular broadcast television
    >>> (the
    >>> DTV picture I'm used to is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine
    >> details
    >>> that you'd normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing the
    >>> video so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was pretty
    >>> disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was
    >>> mentally
    >>> trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and spending $3000
    >> more
    >>> on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At least he's enjoying the HBO
    >> on
    >>> demand (that DOES sound cool :)).
    >>
    >> There is no background "static" or snow in digital HD. There is either a
    >> perfect picture or a blank/skipping screen.
    >> There may be a technical problem somewhere.
    >>
    >> Comcast's HD here in Richmond looks quite good - especially the INHD and
    >> DiscoveryHD eye-candy stuff.

    When I hear complaints like this I always wonder if the source and display
    are properly connected. AND that the switches are properly set on the
    equipment to use those connections. I have seen many set ups where people
    were using composite conections and wondering why thnks looks good but not
    great!

    Why not the most obvious answer? That the TV he bought is junk? Maybe it is a
    typical rear projection that looks horrible.

    "nixjunk" <torrex6@cs.comnixjunk> wrote in message
    > Why not the most obvious answer? That the TV he bought is junk? Maybe it
    is a
    > typical rear projection that looks horrible.

    And which RP's have you seen that had a snowy noisy picture?

    Incidentally, my RP, even though it only has 7" tubes, looks fabulous.

    Rob wrote:
    > What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times
    > before but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set
    > and dumped DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I
    > saw it last night for the first time and it looked like complete
    > s**t. You could see what amounted to background static on almost
    > every channel and the images didn't appear much sharper to me (if
    > any) than regular broadcast television (the DTV picture I'm used to
    > is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine details that you'd
    > normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing the video
    > so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was pretty
    > disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was
    > mentally trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and
    > spending $3000 more on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At
    > least he's enjoying the HBO on demand (that DOES sound cool :)).

    Looks good on my set. You sure you weren't looking as SD content?

    nixjunk wrote:
    > Why not the most obvious answer? That the TV he bought is junk? Maybe
    > it is a typical rear projection that looks horrible.

    Hmm, which RPTVs have you been looking at. Mine looks great with HD
    material.....

    > "nixjunk" <torrex6@cs.comnixjunk> wrote in message
    > > Why not the most obvious answer? That the TV he bought is junk? Maybe it
    > is a
    > > typical rear projection that looks horrible.
    >
    > And which RP's have you seen that had a snowy noisy picture?
    >
    > Incidentally, my RP, even though it only has 7" tubes, looks fabulous.

    I've seen some D*** good RPs. They are like any other other class of
    display. If some dork doesn't know how to set it up, it will look like
    excrement.

    L Alpert <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote:
    }>
    }> One other thing in the SF Bay area Channel 4 KRON has been
    }> rebroadcasting HDnet content on the HD channel which is great since

    Yup. 704 on comcast.

    } I am in the East Bay as well, and Comcast/OTA picture quality is (to me) is
    } indistinguishable. Both work quite well (55" Mits RPTV).

    } My problem at first with Comcast was my internal wiring. I re-routed some
    } of it in the crawl space, and it has been solid for the past year. I was
    } originally getting a lot of blocking, picture and sound hangs from every few
    } seconds to every few minutes, which made it difficult to watch anything.

    Comcast HD does look good when it works. CBS has been having some
    problems the last week (SF Bay Area at least), but it looked great all
    last spring.

    I also had problems with my internal wiring causing hangs and blocking.
    Since comcast uses the same frequencies in it's cable system that are
    also used for broadcasting, pagers, two-way radios, etc. it is
    important that all the cables and connectors are good at shielding out
    signals from outside. The problem we had was from outside signals
    getting into the cable and causing interference. I upgraded all the
    cables to high quality RG-6 with a good braided ground and good
    connectors and my problems went away.

    --

    Frank Ball frankb@sonic.net

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:13:33 GMT, "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I am in the East Bay as well, and Comcast/OTA picture quality is (to me) is
    >indistinguishable. Both work quite well (55" Mits RPTV).
    >
    >My problem at first with Comcast was my internal wiring. I re-routed some
    >of it in the crawl space, and it has been solid for the past year. I was
    >originally getting a lot of blocking, picture and sound hangs from every few
    >seconds to every few minutes, which made it difficult to watch anything.
    >
    >Which inputs are you using? Have you tried switching the Direct TV and
    >Comcast inputs to see if the problem is specific to an input? Maybe a cable
    >grounding problem?

    Same inputs I have a switcher that alows me to use the same inputs
    for both STBs. My picture was rock solid up untill this past week or
    so.

    Its not just the video. I have been having problems with the High
    speed internet also. The signal has been dropping out too. The cable
    modem goes off line and the activity light stops blinking and then the
    modem cycles back on. It is loss of signal, pure and simple.

    I was online with Comcast HD the first day they rolled it out to the
    public in my area. I was probably one of the first ones in the area
    set up. The signal was fine, but if you read all of my response even
    the Comcast reps doing the set up agreed that The DirecTv HD picture
    looked better.

    Fred

    Are you sure he hooked up the TV correctly? Is he watching the HD
    channels via channel 3? Does he use the component in or the DVI port?
    I have used comcast HD for almost two years. Never seen that kind of
    problem.

    "Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Are you sure he hooked up the TV correctly? Is he watching the HD
    > channels via channel 3? Does he use the component in or the DVI port?
    > I have used comcast HD for almost two years. Never seen that kind of
    > problem.
    >
    > "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<NuIXc.45$hq5.28@trndny09>...
    > > What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times
    before
    > > but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set and
    dumped
    > > DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I saw it last
    night
    > > for the first time and it looked like complete s**t. You could see what
    > > amounted to background static on almost every channel and the images
    didn't
    > > appear much sharper to me (if any) than regular broadcast television
    (the
    > > DTV picture I'm used to is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine
    details
    > > that you'd normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing the
    > > video so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was pretty
    > > disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was
    mentally
    > > trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and spending $3000
    more
    > > on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At least he's enjoying the HBO
    on
    > > demand (that DOES sound cool :)).

    There are only 5 HD channels on Comcast then 7 OTA channels that are
    primarily broadcasting SD. The majority are digital channels (SD). When
    you display them on a HD TV you see what amounts to a slight texture in the
    background. This isn't the same as snow or noise. That's what he is
    talking about. The texture doesn't move or change with picture. I think of
    it as a fine grid that probably is there because of the frame buffer
    conversion of the picture from analog to digital at the source.

    We have a OTA station, ABC network I think, that has started a 24 hour news
    channel on one of their sub channels. There is a faint black spot that is
    always in the center of the picture. The spot is probably a dead memory
    cell in the frame buffer.

    Here in Michigan we have been experiencing a lot of compatibility problems
    with Comcast supplied Motorola boxes and most of the major television
    brands. Strange things like incompability composite cable connection
    messages, dropped and pixalated HD station materials, etc. Sometimes
    changing to another cable box from Comcast resolved the symptom, sometimes
    not.
    I also would be interested in just how the components are interconnected.
    Seen very good HDTV with both DVI and Component interconnect, marginal with
    Composite and lousy via RF.
    "Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you sure he hooked up the TV correctly? Is he watching the HD
    >> channels via channel 3? Does he use the component in or the DVI port?
    >> I have used comcast HD for almost two years. Never seen that kind of
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > What is Comcast doing to HD?? I've only seen HD a couple of times
    > before
    >> > but my buddy who has a mega home theater just bought an HD set and
    > dumped
    >> > DirecTV for comcast. He was raving about the picture. I saw it last
    > night
    >> > for the first time and it looked like complete s**t. You could see
    >> > what
    >> > amounted to background static on almost every channel and the images
    > didn't
    >> > appear much sharper to me (if any) than regular broadcast television
    > (the
    >> > DTV picture I'm used to is much clearer). You couldn't see any fine
    > details
    >> > that you'd normally see on a good HD source. Is comcast compressing
    >> > the
    >> > video so much that the result is this poor? I think my buddy was
    >> > pretty
    >> > disappointed that I thought it looked like ass... I think he was
    > mentally
    >> > trying to convince himself that dumping DTV and TiVo and spending $3000
    > more
    >> > on his already $25,000 HT was justified. At least he's enjoying the
    >> > HBO
    > on
    >> > demand (that DOES sound cool :)).
    >
    > There are only 5 HD channels on Comcast then 7 OTA channels that are
    > primarily broadcasting SD. The majority are digital channels (SD). When
    > you display them on a HD TV you see what amounts to a slight texture in
    > the
    > background. This isn't the same as snow or noise. That's what he is
    > talking about. The texture doesn't move or change with picture. I think
    > of
    > it as a fine grid that probably is there because of the frame buffer
    > conversion of the picture from analog to digital at the source.
    >
    > We have a OTA station, ABC network I think, that has started a 24 hour
    > news
    > channel on one of their sub channels. There is a faint black spot that is
    > always in the center of the picture. The spot is probably a dead memory
    > cell in the frame buffer.

HDTV TV Home Theatre HD