  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 15, 2005 4:01:39 PM

I purchased a computer with xp pro on it a couple years ago. It was
loaded with a title of WXPCORP, which i take to mean it is a corporate
edition.It never opened an activation window.I've been using it right
along with no problem including being able to download windows updates,
update my computerand reinstal several times. All of a sudden,as of
last Friday, Windows tells me I have a pirate copy. What do I do now?

More about : activation pro

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:11:17 PM

There is not now, nor has there ever been a "Corporate" version of Windows
XP. There is an availability of corporate licenses but they are for Windows
XP Pro. Unfortunately, some of the key's used for those installs got out
into the public and were used by some to create pirate versions that were
later sold to the public either separately or with computer systems.

It appears you were unwittingly robbed by the person or shop that built your
computer. If the shop is still opened, I'd go back to the shop and see if
they'll provide you with a legit version. If they are still opened but
won't cooperate, I'd report them:
piracy@microsoft.com

Aside from that, all you can do is purchase a legitimate copy at retail.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"jak" <skipperjak@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I purchased a computer with xp pro on it a couple years ago. It was
> loaded with a title of WXPCORP, which i take to mean it is a corporate
> edition.It never opened an activation window.I've been using it right
> along with no problem including being able to download windows updates,
> update my computerand reinstal several times. All of a sudden,as of
> last Friday, Windows tells me I have a pirate copy. What do I do now?

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:39:48 PM

Purchase a retail copy of XP Pro (I suggest not purchasing the Upgrade
edition if you do not have a cd for a previous version of Windows, like
Windows 98 or Windows 2000). You can legitimize the installed XP Pro
without having to do anything but reactivate and change the product key to
the one accompanying the retail cd you purchased. It is not neccessary to
redo the system.