activation of xp pro

I purchased a computer with xp pro on it a couple years ago. It was
loaded with a title of WXPCORP, which i take to mean it is a corporate
edition.It never opened an activation window.I've been using it right
along with no problem including being able to download windows updates,
update my computerand reinstal several times. All of a sudden,as of
last Friday, Windows tells me I have a pirate copy. What do I do now?
2 answers Last reply
More about activation

    There is not now, nor has there ever been a "Corporate" version of Windows
    XP. There is an availability of corporate licenses but they are for Windows
    XP Pro. Unfortunately, some of the key's used for those installs got out
    into the public and were used by some to create pirate versions that were
    later sold to the public either separately or with computer systems.

    It appears you were unwittingly robbed by the person or shop that built your
    computer. If the shop is still opened, I'd go back to the shop and see if
    they'll provide you with a legit version. If they are still opened but
    won't cooperate, I'd report them:
    piracy@microsoft.com

    Aside from that, all you can do is purchase a legitimate copy at retail.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "jak" <skipperjak@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I purchased a computer with xp pro on it a couple years ago. It was
    > loaded with a title of WXPCORP, which i take to mean it is a corporate
    > edition.It never opened an activation window.I've been using it right
    > along with no problem including being able to download windows updates,
    > update my computerand reinstal several times. All of a sudden,as of
    > last Friday, Windows tells me I have a pirate copy. What do I do now?

    Purchase a retail copy of XP Pro (I suggest not purchasing the Upgrade
    edition if you do not have a cd for a previous version of Windows, like
    Windows 98 or Windows 2000). You can legitimize the installed XP Pro
    without having to do anything but reactivate and change the product key to
    the one accompanying the retail cd you purchased. It is not neccessary to
    redo the system.

    "jak" <skipperjak@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I purchased a computer with xp pro on it a couple years ago. It was
    > loaded with a title of WXPCORP, which i take to mean it is a corporate
    > edition.It never opened an activation window.I've been using it right
    > along with no problem including being able to download windows updates,
    > update my computerand reinstal several times. All of a sudden,as of
    > last Friday, Windows tells me I have a pirate copy. What do I do now?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP