Video Controller (VGA Compatible) Driver

I recently reformatted my computer and everything went
okay, but when i booted the computer up, i could only see
16 colors and 800 x 600 resolution when my monitor is
capable of much more.

I believe it is the video card driver. I need to know
where i can download the driver for "Video Controller (VGA
Compatible) is what is says in device manager. Ive put
the windows 2000 pro cd in and had it search for suitable
drivers there, but to no prevail, it did not find anything.

I have been trying to get this problem fixed for a few
days now, and would like to get this cleared up as soon as
possible. Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys may
have.

Ryan
4 answers Last reply
More about video controller compatible driver

    Greetings --

    Have you downloaded and installed the Win2K-specific video drivers
    from your video adapter manufacturer's web site?

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Ryan Carey" <super_ryan69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently reformatted my computer and everything went
    > okay, but when i booted the computer up, i could only see
    > 16 colors and 800 x 600 resolution when my monitor is
    > capable of much more.
    >
    > I believe it is the video card driver. I need to know
    > where i can download the driver for "Video Controller (VGA
    > Compatible) is what is says in device manager. Ive put
    > the windows 2000 pro cd in and had it search for suitable
    > drivers there, but to no prevail, it did not find anything.
    >
    > I have been trying to get this problem fixed for a few
    > days now, and would like to get this cleared up as soon as
    > possible. Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys may
    > have.
    >
    > Ryan

    answered in other post

    "Ryan Carey" <super_ryan69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I recently reformatted my computer and everything went
    > okay, but when i booted the computer up, i could only see
    > 16 colors and 800 x 600 resolution when my monitor is
    > capable of much more.
    >
    > I believe it is the video card driver. I need to know
    > where i can download the driver for "Video Controller (VGA
    > Compatible) is what is says in device manager. Ive put
    > the windows 2000 pro cd in and had it search for suitable
    > drivers there, but to no prevail, it did not find anything.
    >
    > I have been trying to get this problem fixed for a few
    > days now, and would like to get this cleared up as soon as
    > possible. Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys may
    > have.
    >
    > Ryan

    Hi, did you get any luck with this? I've had exactly the
    same problem. Also, when I check the properties of the
    adapter - I'm unable to 'update driver' as the option is
    nulled out. So, even if I could find a driver it wouldn't
    let me install it!

    You will need to identify the video card model & manufacturer to obtain the
    correct drivers. Many video card manufacturers publish drivers for their
    hardware somewhere under 'Support' or similar on their websites. If you're
    not sure where the site is, try a search on Google, or for very elusive
    drivers, try somewhere like www.driverguide.com. Many video drivers also
    come with a proprietary installer that does all the hard work for you, all
    you have to do is reboot.

    If you can't find your video card manufacturer, try visiting the website of
    the computer manufacturer. As long as its not a mongrel computer made of
    various bits & pieces, you should be able to pinpoint the hardware from
    this. If you still don't know what video adapter you have installed in your
    machine, try opening up the case & check for any clues about the identity of
    the card on the card itself. Often the manufacturer & model of the video
    card is printed on the card or chipset.

    BTW - "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" is a default driver that Windows
    uses to provide a rudimentary display (hence the low quality) if it cannot
    find the correct driver in its database.

    "Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, did you get any luck with this? I've had exactly the
    > same problem. Also, when I check the properties of the
    > adapter - I'm unable to 'update driver' as the option is
    > nulled out. So, even if I could find a driver it wouldn't
    > let me install it!

Controller Compatibility Windows