ASRock 775Dual-VSTA E4300 PC3200 Overclocking

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Can someone please help me overclock this setup. I cant find the memory ratio in the BIOS...I know that I should be setting it to 4:3.

Im not trying to overclock too much so what should I set the BIOS to without increasing the vcore and without increasing the temps too much?

Im looking to get an overclock of around 2.5 Ghz on stock cooling.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Can someone please help me overclock this setup. I cant find the memory ratio in the BIOS...I know that I should be setting it to 4:3.

Im not trying to overclock too much so what should I set the BIOS to without increasing the vcore and without increasing the temps too much?

I haven't seen that BIOS yet myself so I'm not giving you an exact answer - just a suggestion instead.

Some people will tell you to stay away from Windows based overclocking utilities, and rightly so if you have extensive BIOS options to play with. In this case, I'm suggesting that you go with ASRock's tuning software, if something was included with your motherboard. In the event that software wasn't provided, a 3rd party utility like ClockGen might be your answer. You'd have to get your hands a little dirty in order to use it, but that's part of the fun of overclocking.

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Ive done a little overclocking before(xp2500+) and its always been through bios strictly and I think Im gonna stick with that...I just dont seem to find where the memory ratio option is.

ok apperantly the ratio is set automatically once you raise the FSB.
Im now running at 9x266FSB(4:3) ratio at ~2.4. Vista index for the cpu went from a 4.8 to a 5.3 and there seems to be no increase in temperature.

One problem however and this happened before I even overclocked it. One of my memory sticks is not showing up. I even exchanged it with another one and its still not showing up. Im thinking the memory slot died...is that possible ? bc that would suck

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Does anyone know if thats the max overclock I can get. I tried 300Mhz and 333Mhz but it wouldnt start up. Whats the max overclock I can expect with my memory?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This mobo can only go to 300mhz on the FSB (without a lot of extra work anyway)
There is not setting for memory divider, i think it's automatic.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I could have sworn this MB was more of allowing users to use existing Reg DDR memory and AGP with a C2D CPU.

I do recall maybe some OC done on it. What I found from an article from Legit Reviews, the bios doesn't allow any voltage adjustments. So from that, you won't be able to do that much with it. Heres a quote and link: (E6300 2.03Ghz is all they got out of that MB)

Overclocking

And here is where we find the Achilles heel of the 77Dual-VSTA. While it does have an adjustable Front Side Bus (FSB) that is adjustable at 1MHz increments, there are no voltage adjustments whatsoever on this motherboard. It seems that the VIA PT880 chipset is the culprit for holding back the overclock as we have used the Intel D975XBX and Gigabyte DS3 with the same processor and voltages only to get better overclocks. For this reason we are confident in saying that the motherboard is without a doubt an overclocking liability. Of course there is always the possibility that in a future BIOS or driver ASRock will be able to enhance overclocking.The highest stable setting I was able to reach was a less than stellar 290MHz FSB.

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Motherboard Review

Hope that helps.

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

There are a bunch of posts about the motherboard somewhere...I'll have to find them. I have mine set at 266fsb and the pc3200 set at 133 so it is exactly half. When I get home I will boot up my comp and find the spot for you. My e4300 is running at 2.4Ghz, hottest is 40C with stock fan running prime95 on both cores, I haven't really tried playing around with it any higher. There are a few people who have gotten the board past 300 with graphite on some resistors and whatnot, but that is more work than I am willing to put into a $50 board. I got it specifically because I had pc3200 and an AGP Radeon 9800Pro and did not want to get anything more than an mb+cpu.

Centurion

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I had mine up to 285x9 stable (2.565GHz) I tried my E6300 and still only 285MHz FSB is stable (2GHz.) I think it does have the memory divider options, worked fine for me. My board is just a bad overclocker after all I bought it open box at newegg for $29. From what I read most will do around 300MHz, some better.

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Wait why would you downclock ur memory tho...wouldnt it be beteer to run it at ddr400 and then just let the bios set the memory:FSB ratio to 4:3 hence 266FSB:200memory

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
Why would you run ur memory at 133?? Im running it at 400 and 4:3 memory...thats the best set up

I like even numbers.

Honestly, I wasn't paying too much attention to it, I was just setting the fsb to 266, and was messing around with some stuff. It is kind of silly come to think of it. I'll have to play around with it when I have time after I get home.

Centurion

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Centurion...How does the system feel? I want to get that mobo cpu combo for an extreme budget build my athlon 2700+ isn't cutting it anymore...notice any higher fps' or boot up times...is multitasking pretty good etc...

Thx

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Centurion...How does the system feel? I want to get that mobo cpu combo for an extreme budget build my athlon 2700+ isn't cutting it anymore...notice any higher fps' or boot up times...is multitasking pretty good etc...

Thx

I went from a Barton 2800 to this setup august last year.
It's a LOT faster.
Same ram and vid card as i used in my barton too.

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
djgandy

do u have any 256Mb memory in there...I had a gig and then 2x256 and neither of my 256s work on my new system anymore...cant figure it out????

silverchair

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hey guys maybe you can also help me with my problem, though ur talkin about ASRock motherboard..

i have a lil problem that maybe some of you can resolve, i have an ASRock motherboard , Conroe865GV with pentium D 2.8Ghz and im using Major DDR 266 memory 1Gig 133 Mhz.

BEfore im using my memory in ECS 741gxm and it runs properly, but when iu use it to ASRock motherboard my memory turned down to 512Mb.

Ist a memory problem? A motherboard problem or is just not compatible?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/motherboard-problem-memory-problem-ftopict227213.html

aleros805

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
This is a little frustruating, I keep haering people easily getting to 3Ghz with this processor in stock voltages and I cant go beyond 2.4 w/o stability problems.

Can anyone explain why...is it my memory thats holding me back...as its ddr400...I know my board can run in FSB:memory ratios but could I be surpassing the max ratio by trying to go above a 266 FSB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. to give you a stand point of DDR400, your wall for FSB is 200mhz. So your pushing your memories limit (200) when your reaching 266mhz. (9x266=2390)

So, going to DDR2 667 (9x333=2997) might help cover memory speed limitations, but hard to say how far you could go without voltage adjustments.

That board is notorious for not overlcocking (maybe 285 is tops generally achieved)

Not putting the board down (i've got one running PC3200), but you'll be lucky to get much out of it, latest bios might be better, but typically excludes C1E states.

dirian

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Ive had some wierd experiences with this boad. Mine is stable at 300 right now, memory set @ 200. But the wierd thing is even at 301, no boot. even if i down clock the memory, or change any of the other settings no luck.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I had mine up to 285x9 stable (2.565GHz) I tried my E6300 and still only 285MHz FSB is stable (2GHz.) I think it does have the memory divider options, worked fine for me. My board is just a bad overclocker after all I bought it open box at newegg for $29. From what I read most will do around 300MHz, some better.
I've read that some people get a little higher FSB, by removing the NB HS...and applying AS5,etc. I would even consider a better(but still cheap) HS for the NB. :)