Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA E4300 PC3200 Overclocking

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 3, 2007 1:13:05 AM

Can someone please help me overclock this setup. I cant find the memory ratio in the BIOS...I know that I should be setting it to 4:3.

Im not trying to overclock too much so what should I set the BIOS to without increasing the vcore and without increasing the temps too much?

Im looking to get an overclock of around 2.5 Ghz on stock cooling.
March 3, 2007 2:59:07 AM

Quote:
Can someone please help me overclock this setup. I cant find the memory ratio in the BIOS...I know that I should be setting it to 4:3.

Im not trying to overclock too much so what should I set the BIOS to without increasing the vcore and without increasing the temps too much?

Im looking to get an overclock of around 2.5 Ghz on stock cooling.


I haven't seen that BIOS yet myself so I'm not giving you an exact answer - just a suggestion instead.

Some people will tell you to stay away from Windows based overclocking utilities, and rightly so if you have extensive BIOS options to play with. In this case, I'm suggesting that you go with ASRock's tuning software, if something was included with your motherboard. In the event that software wasn't provided, a 3rd party utility like ClockGen might be your answer. You'd have to get your hands a little dirty in order to use it, but that's part of the fun of overclocking.
March 3, 2007 4:54:48 AM

Ive done a little overclocking before(xp2500+) and its always been through bios strictly and I think Im gonna stick with that...I just dont seem to find where the memory ratio option is.


ok apperantly the ratio is set automatically once you raise the FSB.
Im now running at 9x266FSB(4:3) ratio at ~2.4. Vista index for the cpu went from a 4.8 to a 5.3 and there seems to be no increase in temperature.

One problem however and this happened before I even overclocked it. One of my memory sticks is not showing up. I even exchanged it with another one and its still not showing up. Im thinking the memory slot died...is that possible ? bc that would suck
Related resources
March 4, 2007 4:38:52 PM

Does anyone know if thats the max overclock I can get. I tried 300Mhz and 333Mhz but it wouldnt start up. Whats the max overclock I can expect with my memory?
March 4, 2007 5:02:11 PM

This mobo can only go to 300mhz on the FSB (without a lot of extra work anyway)
There is not setting for memory divider, i think it's automatic.
March 4, 2007 6:30:46 PM

I could have sworn this MB was more of allowing users to use existing Reg DDR memory and AGP with a C2D CPU.

I do recall maybe some OC done on it. What I found from an article from Legit Reviews, the bios doesn't allow any voltage adjustments. So from that, you won't be able to do that much with it. Heres a quote and link: (E6300 2.03Ghz is all they got out of that MB)

Quote:
Overclocking

And here is where we find the Achilles heel of the 77Dual-VSTA. While it does have an adjustable Front Side Bus (FSB) that is adjustable at 1MHz increments, there are no voltage adjustments whatsoever on this motherboard. It seems that the VIA PT880 chipset is the culprit for holding back the overclock as we have used the Intel D975XBX and Gigabyte DS3 with the same processor and voltages only to get better overclocks. For this reason we are confident in saying that the motherboard is without a doubt an overclocking liability. Of course there is always the possibility that in a future BIOS or driver ASRock will be able to enhance overclocking.The highest stable setting I was able to reach was a less than stellar 290MHz FSB.


ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Motherboard Review

Hope that helps.
March 5, 2007 2:22:50 AM

i want one of these mobo's witha 4300...i think it'd unbottleneck my x850 pro agp
March 5, 2007 1:45:25 PM

Quote:
Can someone please help me overclock this setup. I cant find the memory ratio in the BIOS...I know that I should be setting it to 4:3.

Im not trying to overclock too much so what should I set the BIOS to without increasing the vcore and without increasing the temps too much?

Im looking to get an overclock of around 2.5 Ghz on stock cooling.


There are a bunch of posts about the motherboard somewhere...I'll have to find them. I have mine set at 266fsb and the pc3200 set at 133 so it is exactly half. When I get home I will boot up my comp and find the spot for you. My e4300 is running at 2.4Ghz, hottest is 40C with stock fan running prime95 on both cores, I haven't really tried playing around with it any higher. There are a few people who have gotten the board past 300 with graphite on some resistors and whatnot, but that is more work than I am willing to put into a $50 board. I got it specifically because I had pc3200 and an AGP Radeon 9800Pro and did not want to get anything more than an mb+cpu.

Centurion
March 5, 2007 8:19:43 PM

I had mine up to 285x9 stable (2.565GHz) I tried my E6300 and still only 285MHz FSB is stable (2GHz.) I think it does have the memory divider options, worked fine for me. My board is just a bad overclocker after all I bought it open box at newegg for $29. From what I read most will do around 300MHz, some better.
March 6, 2007 12:50:48 AM

Why would you run ur memory at 133?? Im running it at 400 and 4:3 memory...thats the best set up
March 6, 2007 2:04:50 AM

With DDR-400 setting it to 166 should be fine. Also set the Vdimm to High.
March 6, 2007 12:23:11 PM

Wait why would you downclock ur memory tho...wouldnt it be beteer to run it at ddr400 and then just let the bios set the memory:FSB ratio to 4:3 hence 266FSB:200memory
March 6, 2007 7:20:19 PM

Quote:
Why would you run ur memory at 133?? Im running it at 400 and 4:3 memory...thats the best set up


I like even numbers.

Honestly, I wasn't paying too much attention to it, I was just setting the fsb to 266, and was messing around with some stuff. It is kind of silly come to think of it. I'll have to play around with it when I have time after I get home.

Centurion
March 6, 2007 8:22:49 PM

Centurion...How does the system feel? I want to get that mobo cpu combo for an extreme budget build my athlon 2700+ isn't cutting it anymore...notice any higher fps' or boot up times...is multitasking pretty good etc...

Thx
March 6, 2007 10:47:24 PM

Quote:
Centurion...How does the system feel? I want to get that mobo cpu combo for an extreme budget build my athlon 2700+ isn't cutting it anymore...notice any higher fps' or boot up times...is multitasking pretty good etc...

Thx


I went from a Barton 2800 to this setup august last year.
It's a LOT faster.
Same ram and vid card as i used in my barton too.
March 6, 2007 11:37:24 PM

djgandy

do u have any 256Mb memory in there...I had a gig and then 2x256 and neither of my 256s work on my new system anymore...cant figure it out????
March 7, 2007 10:37:50 PM

Hey guys maybe you can also help me with my problem, though ur talkin about ASRock motherboard..

i have a lil problem that maybe some of you can resolve, i have an ASRock motherboard , Conroe865GV with pentium D 2.8Ghz and im using Major DDR 266 memory 1Gig 133 Mhz.

BEfore im using my memory in ECS 741gxm and it runs properly, but when iu use it to ASRock motherboard my memory turned down to 512Mb.

Ist a memory problem? A motherboard problem or is just not compatible?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/motherboard-pro...
March 8, 2007 9:15:06 AM

Quote:
djgandy

do u have any 256Mb memory in there...I had a gig and then 2x256 and neither of my 256s work on my new system anymore...cant figure it out????


No i have a 1 GIG and a 512MB stick.
March 18, 2007 2:57:34 PM

This is a little frustruating, I keep haering people easily getting to 3Ghz with this processor in stock voltages and I cant go beyond 2.4 w/o stability problems.

Can anyone explain why...is it my memory thats holding me back...as its ddr400...I know my board can run in FSB:memory ratios but could I be surpassing the max ratio by trying to go above a 266 FSB.

Any help would be appreciated.
March 18, 2007 3:14:39 PM

Well.. to give you a stand point of DDR400, your wall for FSB is 200mhz. So your pushing your memories limit (200) when your reaching 266mhz. (9x266=2390)

So, going to DDR2 667 (9x333=2997) might help cover memory speed limitations, but hard to say how far you could go without voltage adjustments.
a c 82 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2007 3:30:00 PM

That board is notorious for not overlcocking (maybe 285 is tops generally achieved)

Not putting the board down (i've got one running PC3200), but you'll be lucky to get much out of it, latest bios might be better, but typically excludes C1E states.
March 18, 2007 3:48:06 PM

Ive had some wierd experiences with this boad. Mine is stable at 300 right now, memory set @ 200. But the wierd thing is even at 301, no boot. even if i down clock the memory, or change any of the other settings no luck.
March 18, 2007 6:00:28 PM

yea exactly how come yours is stable at 300?? I cant even stay stable at 280
March 18, 2007 7:36:42 PM

Hnn. Try doing the E4300 pin mod if you feel comfortable after reading it.
March 18, 2007 9:41:54 PM

Quote:
I had mine up to 285x9 stable (2.565GHz) I tried my E6300 and still only 285MHz FSB is stable (2GHz.) I think it does have the memory divider options, worked fine for me. My board is just a bad overclocker after all I bought it open box at newegg for $29. From what I read most will do around 300MHz, some better.
I've read that some people get a little higher FSB, by removing the NB HS...and applying AS5,etc. I would even consider a better(but still cheap) HS for the NB. :) 
March 18, 2007 9:48:18 PM

Quote:
This is a little frustruating, I keep haering people easily getting to 3Ghz with this processor in stock voltages and I cant go beyond 2.4 w/o stability problems.

Can anyone explain why...is it my memory thats holding me back...as its ddr400...I know my board can run in FSB:memory ratios but could I be surpassing the max ratio by trying to go above a 266 FSB.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have this board...with a (temporary) PD915, and it undervolts. My cpu is rated for 1.25V, but the board only gives it ~1.165v. Runs icy cold with that voltage, but i can only get it up to ~3446-3500MHz. You may want to do a pin-volt mod..that's what i'm going to do with the D915, but the 9xx series Pentiums lose 1 core if v-modded too high. :x
March 18, 2007 10:14:28 PM

I was under the impression that the pin mod was to only unlock the increase in FSB as some boards dont allow that. It can also be used to increase the voltage I guess??

I dont think I would be willing to go through will this but still...curious..
March 18, 2007 10:25:26 PM

Lets look at it this way. The pin mod is a hard OC, which means the clock speed increases regardless of board config.

Since the FSB of the E4300 is only 200MHz (800HMz total) and you have a high multiplier of around 9 IIRC, you get a clock speed of 1800MHz (1.80GHz).

If you raise the FSB strap by connecting the contacts on the array ( You can find this here) you raise the FSB to 266MHz (1066) and with the same voltage and same multiplier your clock speed is 2.4BGHz.

Using this ASROCK volt mod you can possibly get to 2.8Ghz if not 3.0GHz. Albeit, this is a lot of work, but it can both a learning experience an kinda fun if you want to attempt it.
March 18, 2007 10:49:05 PM

Is there away around to doing the vmod...is there any software that could be used to force the increase in the vcore??
March 18, 2007 11:44:18 PM

Well, there is this program called Clockgen, but please note that Clockgen and other software based overclocking tools are only a compliment to the BIOS and hard(ware) OC's. As such it will only safely OC in the parameters established for you by the BIOS. In other words, don't expect much if anything over what you're getting already.
March 19, 2007 12:21:41 AM

Wouldnt that allow me to increase the vcore though...I would just change the vcore with clockgen and then change the FSB within my bios. Would that combination work and allow me to reach a higher overclock?

My board I assume would need to be compatible first of all...anyone know if it is?
March 19, 2007 12:24:21 AM

Yes it would allow you to change the VCore. The problem is that it runs the risk of crashing your computer when the parameters are incorrect.

As for the ASROCK board being compatible, you'd have to check the Clockgen site to see if the PLL for the VIA chipset is supported.
March 19, 2007 12:27:31 AM

Im checking already but I have no clue where to start and how to tell which mine is??

Why would the parameters be wrong and end up crashing my system?
March 19, 2007 12:38:23 AM

If you use the wrong PLL, if you move the slider too much, stuff like that, or plain if the board doesn't want to play nice. Things like that are par for the course. I've only had on board ever not want to play nice, but then I switch PLL's and things started to work better. The first and second are human error and can be avoided.

As of now, the only ASROCK board PLL supported is the Conroe XFire-eSATA2. You can attempt to try using that PLL, but I strongly do not recommend it.
March 19, 2007 12:41:59 AM

How would I go about finding out the right plls for my board...Im serching but IM not really getting anywhere
March 19, 2007 12:44:32 AM

Sorry, I edited my last post to respond to that question but I'll post it again. As of now, the only ASROCK PLL supported is that on the Conroe XFire-eSATA2. I can't remember if it uses the same chipset or not, but I would not recommend using its setting to try this.

I'm sorry to say this, but your board is a very poor overclocker, and if you want to break 2.4GHz with that E4300, you'll have to use unconventional methods.
March 19, 2007 3:43:31 AM

Quote:
If you use the wrong PLL, if you move the slider too much, stuff like that, or plain if the board doesn't want to play nice. Things like that are par for the course. I've only had on board ever not want to play nice, but then I switch PLL's and things started to work better. The first and second are human error and can be avoided.

As of now, the only ASROCK board PLL supported is the Conroe XFire-eSATA2. You can attempt to try using that PLL, but I strongly do not recommend it.
I tried it....didn't work. :x
March 19, 2007 2:58:12 PM

Has anyone been able to use clockgen successfully with this motherboard??

If so under what settings?
March 19, 2007 9:10:49 PM

Quote:
Has anyone been able to use clockgen successfully with this motherboard??

If so under what settings?
Read my last post. :wink:
March 19, 2007 9:20:09 PM

lol...I did but I was hoping maybe someone else mightve gotten lucky...


What ram are u using, I was thinking maybe my ram is holding me back and thats why maybe I cant even get to 2.7Ghz with default vcore...something a lot of people seem to have no problem reaching.
March 19, 2007 9:48:53 PM

No dude. Its your board. The very nature of the VIA chipset sucks majorly at overclocking. The Dual VSTA boards are great for what they were desiged for, mating up AGP to PCIe and DDR and DDR2 on the same board, but they aren't the best overclockers. That 2.4GHz is a respectible speed, and possibly the highest that you will see on that board. The RAM is holding you back, but not as much as the platform it and the CPU share. Don't always look at other peoples OC's and view them as typical. But you already know this.
March 19, 2007 9:54:49 PM

Quote:
lol...I did but I was hoping maybe someone else mightve gotten lucky...


What ram are u using, I was thinking maybe my ram is holding me back and thats why maybe I cant even get to 2.7Ghz with default vcore...something a lot of people seem to have no problem reaching.
Right now i'm using 2x256MB OCZ PC3700 Platinum(2.5-2-2-5)...still on my test bench. Once i put it in my main machine, i will be using 2x512MB OCZ PC3200 Platinum REV 2 (2-2-2-5 up to 216MHz).. and had it to ~304MHz@3-4-4-8. Dam good DDR. :wink: Try dropping your RAM with a divider.
March 20, 2007 7:01:42 PM

Quote:
Centurion...How does the system feel? I want to get that mobo cpu combo for an extreme budget build my athlon 2700+ isn't cutting it anymore...notice any higher fps' or boot up times...is multitasking pretty good etc...

Thx


Um, yeah, way faster than what I had. But I had a 2.4ghz celeron, so anything short of a P3 would seem faster to me lol. You need to ask someone who went from an athlon like you to get a good comparison. It was worth it to me though!

Centurion
a c 82 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2007 7:03:37 PM

went from 3200+ barton care to an E6600, I have no complaints at all...
March 20, 2007 9:32:38 PM

Hey guys,

I just tried lowering my memory from 400 to 333 and what do you know now I can go beyond 2.4 Ghz. Apparently my memory was holding me back. My computer starts up at 9x300=2.7Ghz :)  but I have my FSB at 295 for now giving me around a 2.66GHz.

I tried going beyond that but not successfully, It must be the vcore. I eventually might end up doing the vcore pin mod it seems easy enough to handle. I might also need to get a better heatsink eventually.


Also I noticed that lowering the pcie value a little lower does help with overclocking...you can always try that if you encounter problems.

Do you guys think its a good idea to lower my memory so I can get a better OC or is it not worth lowering the speed of my memory.
March 20, 2007 9:47:28 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just tried lowering my memory from 400 to 333 and what do you know now I can go beyond 2.4 Ghz. Apparently my memory was holding me back. My computer starts up at 9x300=2.7Ghz :)  but I have my FSB at 295 for now giving me around a 2.66GHz.

I tried going beyond that but not successfully, It must be the vcore. I eventually might end up doing the vcore pin mod it seems easy enough to handle. I might also need to get a better heatsink eventually.


Also I noticed that lowering the pcie value a little lower does help with overclocking...you can always try that if you encounter problems.

Do you guys think its a good idea to lower my memory so I can get a better OC or is it not worth lowering the speed of my memory.


300fsb is pretty much the limit for the mobo.
It's not the vcore. It's the north/southbridge or something. Try google, people have penciled stuff on the board and got it up to 340 by raising some voltages. I didn't really take it all in since it was overkill for the 33mhz gain.
You won't get a good overclock with this board. This is why people say buy 4300 because of its high multi. The mobo can't generate a high fsb.
March 20, 2007 9:57:54 PM

Yeah Ive read about that problem too...I was hoping it could have been the vcore alone and not the board. In any case I will probably end up doing the vcore pin mod as it will make my computer more stable at 2.7.

Any links to the places that tell you how to pencil the board??? Just in case I decide to mess with the board as well.
March 21, 2007 4:14:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah Ive read about that problem too...I was hoping it could have been the vcore alone and not the board. In any case I will probably end up doing the vcore pin mod as it will make my computer more stable at 2.7.

Any links to the places that tell you how to pencil the board??? Just in case I decide to mess with the board as well.
This is to do the vCore "pin-mod"...(C2D's only)on the CPU. GL :) 

Core2Duo vCore Pin-Mod
!