"Fanboys"? ...Help end the poisonous atmosphere

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
A forum is a place with diverse people with diverse opinions of course, and many will disagree about things.

When someone disagrees, they can be rational and use a specific argument based on logic and/or numbers. Example -- I disagree that C2duos are always the best mid-range choice because not everyone wants to overclock, and AMD has a good upgrade path for AM2, and also it would be great for AMD to thrive so that there will be more than one premeir cpu company. These are examples of logical reasons which can be discussed, etc.

Or someone who disagrees with a post might might instead resort to personal characterizations like "idiot", "liar", "BS", "Fanboy", etc.

Over and over you see the calmest most objective posts written with no personal characterizations. At the other extreme we see plenty of personal attacks.

There are a wide variety of personal attacks. There are the obvious name calling like you remember from grade school, but also the slightly more grown up version that's supposed to characterize someone's personality regarding their choices, and various smears, scarecrows, etc.,etc.

Fanboi is such an obvious one.

It's a label.

It's a personal characterization.

It's not an argument or an idea or a string of logic.

It's not very interesting, but it does often end the calm logic in a discussion thread, and sometimes obscures interesting points and ideas (unless you just ignore those posters! :).

If someone likes Intel chips exclusively, or AMD chips, that's their problem, and their right.

It's not a personality flaw.

Finally, I'd like to point out the obvious misconception:

The problem with the idea of the "fanboi" is that his "BS" is supposed to mislead newbies.

Right?

Well, that would make sense if the newbie would make a decision about building a $1000 computer based on reading only 1 or 2 posts in a forum!

How likely is that?

It would make sense if people were not able to think for themselves, to evaluate and compare ideas for themselves.

In short the "fanboi" idea presumes newbies are stupid people.

People who choose to build their own computer aren't stupid people, regardless that it's their first build.

It would be great if we could stop calling each other names like kids on a playground.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I'm certainly an AMD fan!

Catch is, although I have things about Intel that bother me, truth is I'm an Intel fan also!

And IBM. I'm am absolutely totally an IBM fan!

totally!

Nvidia is great to.

I love em!

I'm certainly an Nvidia fan.

guess you are right. I really am a fan of chip companies in general, and honestly, I never met one I didn't like yet.

In fact, if it's what it takes to help end this poisonous atmosphere, let everyone know that I'm one of the ultimate FANBOYS!!

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I'd encourage Jack and all the most distinguished residents here to add FANBOY to their signature to try to help dispell this poisonous atmosphere of personal attacks on the forum.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
guess you are right. I really am a fan of chip companies in general, and honestly, I never met one I didn't like yet.

Does that include VIA, with their C3 and C7 CPUs?!!! :) :) :)

Jokes aside, you are actually totally right, and I am not that different from you:

I like AMD and Intel.
I like Coke and Pepsi.
I like Playstation and Nintendo.
I like nVidia and ATI.
I like wine and whiskey.
I like Canon and Sony.
I like Windows and Suse Linux and Solaris.
I like Java and Delphi.
I like ASP and PHP.
I like SQL Server and Oracle.

I am a fan of all the development these companies have brought to us. They - on one level or another - certainly deserve my admiration, for their contribution they've made to our lives.

Just today I also posted a topic about the very same issue:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/tiresome-ftopict226693.html

I do not declare myself a fanboy of this or that company. Each one makes things I admire and desire.

So, for those who need to label people, this is the label that fits me:
technology fanboy

Take care!

I like what you say. It's how I see it too.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
A fanboi, in my opinion, is anyone that takes a stance on any subject that is based on conjecture and supposition, then when faced with various technical articles that refute said subjective claims backs up their spurious claims with more claims... And no facts. THAT's a fanboi.

My 2p.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
A fanboi, in my opinion, is anyone that takes a stance on any subject that is based on conjecture and supposition, then when faced with various technical articles that refute said subjective claims backs up their spurious claims with more claims... And no facts. THAT's a fanboi.

My 2p.

While I like that that is a narrow precise definition, there are two problems it causes in spite of the good concept.

The first problem is the term becomes an insult, and then it's a flame war, etc., etc.

The second problem is it gets used indiscriminately, of course, and you can't prevent that.

That second problem is inherent in it being a label. Any label has the problem that it obscures and makes individuals out to be a type of simplification.

Example: I could recomend an e4300 to one person, and an hour or day later recommend an X2 5200 to another person and get called an "AMD fanboi".

This happens, and it is a good example of why even a narrow definition isn't going to be good enough.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hmm... Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that someone proposes that they know the way to maximize anyone's system upgrade. And that way is to use two 10k rpm drives in raid 0.

Now let's suppose that a gaggle of posters, some very knowledgeable, post along the lines of 'but there are many things that cost less and provide more benefit', but the OP keeps coming back with the same statement... So then are introduced a bunch of benchmarks that show that per dollar, there are many places to get a bigger bang for one's buck. The post finally dies a belated death, only to be started again under a new title a few days later.

THAT's a fanboi.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If someone has no brand preference, what's the problem recommending the faster product? To me it sounds like you're saying that you're tired of having people recommending Core 2 instead of X2. :?

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
It's more effective IMO just to use a simple reply like "raptors in raid 0 is a case of dimishing return for most uses", and just repeat that instead. More effective because it has an idea.

Ideas are more convincing.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
If someone has no brand preference, what's the problem recommending the faster product? To me it sounds like you're saying that you're tired of having people recommending Core 2 instead of X2. :?

I'm impressed with the e4300 and it's the best solution for many types of situations. What bothers me is when there is a situation where it isn't the best solution, like someone who does not want to overclock and wants midrange performance and wants to be able to have a nice upgrade path, and they get recommended to overclock an e4300 anyway, because it's such a good thing, regardless of where that new builder is coming from in preferences, but begrudgingly they're finally told the e6400 is better than the X2 5200 (true in some ways, but not price/performance wise, or upgrade wise IMO). I'd rather tell them a more complete picture, instead of brand loyalty to Intel!

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
At stock the E6400 would be more than competitive with the X2 5200+ performance wise, and it uses less energy as well. We get it, you're an AMD fanboy; please stop kidding yourself. :wink:

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I stand corrected. All my engineering life, I thought that facts, system design, etc., followed by rigorous testing and benchmarking were the end result of an 'idea'. Now I find out that the 'idea' itself is enough. Live and learn.

I guess I'll have to get some raptors for my next cheap build... After all your 'idea' proves that all the benchmarks in the world are BS, right? Too bad that means that I have to go with less memory, less quality GPU, etc., to cover the cost... And a higher cost MB to get that RAID SATA... So this 'idea' costs me money? What a load of shite.

You sir, are pure and simple a fanboi. You have taken the term to a new level, but you are a fanboi in my 'narrow' definition of the term.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Example -- I disagree that C2duos are always the best mid-range choice because not everyone wants to overclock, and AMD has a good upgrade path for AM2, and also it would be great for AMD to thrive so that there will be more than one premeir cpu company. These are examples of logical reasons which can be discussed, etc.
See, that's exactly the reason that you get bombarded. AMD's welfare has nothing...i repeat nothing to do with the performance/price of their processor. So, this post clearly shows your agenda... To keep AMD sales up...not to recommend the best PROCESSOR for the job. The only difference between you, and the guys that come in and say..."Intel sucks donkey balls", or "AMD blows"....is that you are sneaky about it. But...understand that most of the sensible posters in here can see through your thinly-veiled prejudice, which...(judging by the frequency of these kind of threads that you create), is not getting you the results you crave.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Example -- I disagree that C2duos are always the best mid-range choice because not everyone wants to overclock, and AMD has a good upgrade path for AM2, and also it would be great for AMD to thrive so that there will be more than one premeir cpu company. These are examples of logical reasons which can be discussed, etc.
See, that's exactly the reason that you get bombarded. AMD's welfare has nothing...i repeat nothing to do with the performance/price of their processor. So, this post clearly shows your agenda... To keep AMD sales up...not to recommend the best PROCESSOR for the job. The only difference between you, and the guys that come in and say..."Intel sucks donkey balls", or "AMD blows"....is that you are sneaky about it. But...understand that most of the sensible posters in here can see through your thinly-veiled prejudice, which...(judging by the frequency of these kind of threads that you create), is not getting you the results you crave.

I must agree.

Hey... Do you think fanboi rehab facilities exist? That could be a potential money making venture. :lol:

Honestly... I don't care for fanboi posts -- some are almost laughable. But, I also don't care for some of the more abhorable personal attacks that may follow them.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I'm a fanboy of TNA and beer! WOO HOO!!!

Seriously, fanboyism is all a pissing contest which I don't care about. I say this post should be deleted for it will only lead to a flame war.

END THE FLAME WARS!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
'I went to look for my insanity. Thought I wouldn't miss it, but I learned an important lesson. Sanity truly indeed f'ng blows! So, I'll be in my reality for awhile. Feel free to contact and take me back to your reality called Earth.'

'Re: "Fanboys"? ...Help end the poisonous atmosphere'

Helps to remember, once in a while, that the person that started this topic is one of the stirrers that causes flamewars.