Win2k fresh install hangs on "installing new devices"

Hi there:

I have a brand-new hard drive on my HP zt1150 Pavillion
notebook and I'm trying to do a fresh install. I formatted
the hard drive to one partition of 38 GB with NTFS and the
installation consistently hangs when it boots into Windows
and tries to "install new devices", around 60% through the
process. The cursor freezes and the installation doesn't
continue (I waited overnight jsut to make sure).

It's a generic laptop, nothing special installed, I reset
the BIOS configuration to defaults. I tried rebooting in
safe mode, but then it crashes with some error message.

This is the original Windows disk, without any service
pack.

Any pointers on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! JB
1 answer Last reply
More about win2k fresh install hangs installing devices

    I went to www.microsoft.com/hcl and clicked the 2000 link and did a search
    on "HP zt1150 Pavillion" and then check individual models of HP pavillion
    to see if it was on the compatibility list and unfortunantly I could not
    find it. To me this indicates the HP zt1150 Pavillion hardware was not
    tested with 2k and therefore may not work properly.

    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    or opinions of Microsoft.

Windows