[FRLG] Female Farfetch'd in Vermilion City Possible?

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2004 2:41:55 PM

There is a kid in Vermilion City who will trade his Farfetch'd for your
Spearow. It is the only time you can get Farfetch'd in the game (that I know
of).

I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is the traded
Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can obviously lay eggs while a
male cannot.

- Chad
who remembered to try for a female Castform in Sapphire this time
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 5:40:30 PM

In article <20040921064155.13228.00000838@mb-m12.aol.com>,
Notus00 <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
>trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is the traded
>Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can obviously lay eggs while a
>male cannot.

Fortunately, Ditto is in this game, so you should be able to breed
males as well as females. (I can't give personal testimony; I got a
male Eevee, and left it with a Ditto in the breeding day care center,
but the eggs haven't hatched yet. If they're more Dittos I'm going
to be annoyed as well as surprised.)

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
September 21, 2004 5:45:15 PM

David Thornley wrote:
> In article <20040921064155.13228.00000838@mb-m12.aol.com>,
> Notus00 <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
>> trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is
>> the traded Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can
>> obviously lay eggs while a male cannot.

Farfetch'd has a 50/50 chance of being male or female, but the thing is, the
gender of a pokemon is determined at a certain point. When it is
encountered, for example, or perhaps in the case of 'found' pokemon, as soon
as it is inspected. An egg's gender is deteremined as soon as you get the
egg, not when it is hatched. So restarting and walking around with the egg
again to re-hatch it won't change the gender.

In the case of your Farfetch'd, I'm guessing you've already tried to trade
for it, but I'm not sure if in-game trades require you to save. If so, it
will probably be stuck with whatever gender you see now. Otherwise you can
keep reloading and trading it. Now, it's possible that the in-game trades
are more predetermined than other pokemon, so someone correct me if I'm
wrong. But I checked an FAQ and it said Farfetch'd had a 50/50 chance, and
since there's only one in the game, I'm guessing you can get a female in the
trade.

> Fortunately, Ditto is in this game, so you should be able to breed
> males as well as females. (I can't give personal testimony; I got a
> male Eevee, and left it with a Ditto in the breeding day care center,
> but the eggs haven't hatched yet. If they're more Dittos I'm going
> to be annoyed as well as surprised.)

Don't worry, you'll always get a pokemon of the other type when you breed
with Ditto.
September 21, 2004 11:02:05 PM

Notus00 <notus00@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
> trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is
> the traded Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can
> obviously lay eggs while a male cannot.
<snip>

Heh... I did the same for my 2nd Snorlax... I REALLY wanted a female one.
But I'm fine with getting male rares, thanks for the blessing that is Ditto.
It's such a major shock, suddenly getting back both Ditto and UNLIMITED
evolutionary stones.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> In the case of your Farfetch'd, I'm guessing you've already tried to
> trade for it, but I'm not sure if in-game trades require you to save.

In-game trades don't require a save, as verified just now with Venonat and
Tangela.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

In article <NU_3d.3055$Ec4.427@trndny04>,
DeepThought <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote:

>Heh... I did the same for my 2nd Snorlax... I REALLY wanted a female one.
>But I'm fine with getting male rares, thanks for the blessing that is Ditto.
>It's such a major shock, suddenly getting back both Ditto and UNLIMITED
>evolutionary stones.

Tell me about it. I can have unlimited Eevees (I'm hatching two
right at the moment) *and* unlimited evolution stones. I'm not
used to this.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
September 22, 2004 11:04:09 AM

Notus00 wrote:
> There is a kid in Vermilion City who will trade his Farfetch'd for your
> Spearow. It is the only time you can get Farfetch'd in the game (that I know
> of).
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
> trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is the traded
> Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can obviously lay eggs while a
> male cannot.

The Mr. Mime that you trade for is always male, so I suspect that the
Farfetch'd gender is fixed, too. Fortunately, you can breed it with
Ditto to make more, as others have pointed out.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:06:51 PM

notus00@aol.comNOSPAM (Notus00) wrote in message news:<20040921064155.13228.00000838@mb-m12.aol.com>...
> There is a kid in Vermilion City who will trade his Farfetch'd for your
> Spearow. It is the only time you can get Farfetch'd in the game (that I know
> of).
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to get a female eventually if I keep
> trading/reseting (like when selecting the starter Pokémon) -or- is the traded
> Farfetch'd always a male? A female Farfetch'd can obviously lay eggs while a
> male cannot.
>
> - Chad
> who remembered to try for a female Castform in Sapphire this time

I think it's always the same pokemon. I tried resetting half a dozen
times and I always got the same nature and stats, unlike the eevee and
snorlax which had varied stats and natures.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:25:56 PM

Aren't all Mr. Mimes male?

Also, isn't gender determined by the stats of the Pokémon in question?
If so, you might be able to affect results by trading Spearows of
different stats.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:45:38 AM

afish wrote:
> Aren't all Mr. Mimes male?
>
> Also, isn't gender determined by the stats of the Pokémon in question?
> If so, you might be able to affect results by trading Spearows of
> different stats.

Not sure about the stats, thing. I've never heard that before.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:45:39 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> afish wrote:
>
>> Aren't all Mr. Mimes male?
>>
>> Also, isn't gender determined by the stats of the Pokémon in question?
>> If so, you might be able to affect results by trading Spearows of
>> different stats.
>>
> Not sure about the stats, thing. I've never heard that before.

That was only true in GSC. In RS and FRLG, gender is determined by a
seperate stat altogether.

Also, Mr. Mime is only called Mr. Mime in the English translation. Its
original Japanese name is not gender-specific, so Mr. Mimes can go
either way. Genders, I mean. Being them.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

September 25, 2004 1:56:22 AM

"Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
message news:2rk3isF1bl8tlU3@uni-berlin.de...

> Also, Mr. Mime is only called Mr. Mime in the English translation. Its
> original Japanese name is not gender-specific, so Mr. Mimes can go either
> way. Genders, I mean. Being them.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
:)
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 2:35:03 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
> afish wrote:
> > Aren't all Mr. Mimes male?
> >
> > Also, isn't gender determined by the stats of the Pokémon in question?
> > If so, you might be able to affect results by trading Spearows of
> > different stats.
> >
> Not sure about the stats, thing. I've never heard that before.

AFAIK the stats determined gender in GSC. When they converted to Advanced,
they had more things to work with, and stats no longer determine gender.

Breeding for stats, I have no idea, someone else will have to post.
daramark
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 9:04:28 PM

Oh yeah, I was thinking of Smoochum/Jynx always being the same gender.
My mistake.
!