win2k server /fastdetect does not disable com ports

*Running Windows Server 2000
*Clean install
*boot.ini is in default form

Checked the boot.ini file and it contains on the last line
the boot.ini switch, "/fastdetect"

I have a device connected and active on com1 port (which
must remain turned on).

Unfortunately, the com ports are not disabled during the
start up process and the mouse cursor moves inadvertently
around the screen during startup. When rebooting,
restarting and doing a shutdown and boot up the problem
sometimes is intermittent.

I have used 'noserialmice' previously when running windows
NT server and this worked fine.

Does anyone know what troubleshooting i can do to keep my
device connected to com1 and to disable the com1 port so
that no serial mouse detection occurs during startup?

Thanks in advance!

Ndo

Have you tried "/fastdetect:com1"? I'm not sure that it will change
anything, but it could be worth a try. This MS Knowledge Base article
describes Win2000 boot.ini switches:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833722

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

"Ndo from Oz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>*Running Windows Server 2000
>*Clean install
>*boot.ini is in default form
>
>Checked the boot.ini file and it contains on the last line
>the boot.ini switch, "/fastdetect"
>
>I have a device connected and active on com1 port (which
>must remain turned on).
>
>Unfortunately, the com ports are not disabled during the
>start up process and the mouse cursor moves inadvertently
>around the screen during startup. When rebooting,
>restarting and doing a shutdown and boot up the problem
>sometimes is intermittent.
>
>I have used 'noserialmice' previously when running windows
>NT server and this worked fine.
>
>Does anyone know what troubleshooting i can do to keep my
>device connected to com1 and to disable the com1 port so
>that no serial mouse detection occurs during startup?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Hi Bjorn,

Yes i did try your suggestion below, and also com1,2,3 (as
i have 2 and 3 com ports fitted via PCI card). All
attempts using the /fastdetect switch seemed to produce
the same result (mouse cursor moving erratically).

I found an article on wwww.microsoft.com/resources...
which suggested the following boot.ini switch:

"/FASTDETECT=[COMx| COMx,y,z..]"

Can anyone suggest if the square brackets and the "|" will
make a difference?

Cheers!

The square brackets means it is an option item. We don't actually
type in the square brackets,eg, /FASTDETECT=COM1,COM2,COM3,COM4

-Hung