syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Here is the story, I have put in an x800xl in december of 2006. My psu is a xclio 450BL that i got from newegg. The pc rendomly freezes when i play games like unreal tournament 2004 and many others but it also produces a high piched sound and a humming noise from the power supply when its under load. The interesting thing is also that my sound card went bad about a month ago(end of January), it is producing even worse unbearable high piched noise that has gotten louder over time. (i know that speakers are not bad since i tried other ones as well as headphones and they all produce the same noise). Now before the speakers went bad i put another 512mb stick if that matters. I havent had any problems before when i had the x700pro which i had for about a year. The ps is same age as x700pro since i got them at the same time and the card was the main reason why i got the 450 W psu. Anyway here are my specs

CPU-P4 530j 3.0GHZ HT
Motherboard-Intel 915GRO
Ram 2 X 512mb Kingston Value ram and 2 X 256 Inferion ram (inferion came with the pc and i added 512 sticks at different times)
Videocard- Powercolor X800XL :D which i got from a friend for $65(he used it for about a year)
harddrive- seagate 250GB
1x DWD/CD burner combo drive
1X CD rom drive
Oh and by the way this is Sony VIAO model VGC-RB30 that is sligltly modified as you can see.

So im wondering if i messed the psu up by puting x800xl in there in the first place? (i was thinking that this psu should handle it without any problem)...... So I've started looking for the new PSU but i dont know what to get. There are many chices but when i read the reviews on newegg i worry since i didnt care much when i got the xclio wich had some warnings about high pitched noise.
I game ocasionaly to very heavy (depending on how busy the scheduele is) The reason for Very heavy is once im done playing games after couple of hours my brother gets on it and playes for few more hours)

Plese help me solve this problem... if its the psu which high quality one should i get to last me for about 3-4 years and my budget is about 50 to 100 dollars.

Thanks in advance :D

Marell

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Silverstone Element 500W

If you plan on gutting and updating your system thou it won't cut it with the new stuff that will need PCI-E 8 pin connectors... Silverstone OP model's have those...

Marell