No display with new mb and video card

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Built a new system and not getting any display on the monitor when starting. Motherboard LCD light is on, all fans run, keyboard lights at first as if going through the POST, CD drive lights, hard drive lights.

Motherboard = Asus M2R32-MVP w/ AMD 64 x2 4200+ Windsor
Video Card = ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express

Had to use the DVI/VGA adapter for the monitor (Mag LCD), but tried both slots on the video card to no avail.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
ok, test your monitor on a different system. try a different monitor on your system. I think you will find the rest is fine and it is getting to the point no OS found and stops.

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Tried a second working monitor with the same result.

A couple of times I did get a display and it went through the POST. Then next time nothing.

I have tried a different DVI/VGA adapter and tried the monitor 2 slot - no change. Also tried putting the video card in the second PCI Express slot (for Crossfire) - no change.

I'm thinking the video card may be bad?

Thanks again!

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Post the rest of your sys components, esp ram brand, size, part#. Make sure your memory sticks are in the correct slot(s) and fully seated. Take them out and re-seat them, making sure they click all the way into place. Same with the video card -- pull it out and re-seat, making certain it is pushed all the way down. I've had some video cards that I thought were fully seated and they went down one more click, to my surprise.

aztech

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Just for kicks try unplugging the powersupply from the wall. count to 10 plug it in turn on power supply and try to post

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
What beep codes are you hearing. Google AMI BIOS beep codes.

On the couple occasions where there was a display, I got the single beep I had hoped for.

When there is no display (95% of time), no beeps at all. I'm assuming that it doesn't recognize a video display and won't go through POST.

Reseated both video card and RAM - still no display.

Thanks for the suggestions!

braindancer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
I built a PC ages ago which would rarely post, it turned out to be a dodgey stick of ram.

Try reseating the ram or using another stick/slot :)

Hope this helps

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Switched the RAM around and now I get a display - thanks for the suggestion! I had assumed that I would still get a message of some sort if the RAM was bad. :roll:

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
You should run Memtest86+ with standard settings (no overclock). If you get any errors returned, you've got a bad stick:

http://www.memtest.org/

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I recently bought some DDR2-800 RAM for my new build, since I'm not ready to build yet I put it in my current PC. The max rates memory speed on my motherboard is DDR2-667. The first couple of times it posted but would crash soon after, then it just started not posting. Sometimes it would complain about overclocking and send me to the BIOS to fix it. Didn't take long for me to find that my BIOS memory speed was set to auto and it automatically tried to run at 800MHz. I had to set the memory to 667MHz manually to get it to work. I also had to set the timings manually.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, that's why I advised the OP to post his sys specs re: m/b and ram manuf., speed, mod#, etc. Although his mb is supposed to be able to run DDR2 800, but good point, anyway.

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks for the link Madmurph, I will definately try that out once I have this sucker up and running!

The mb is an Asus M2R32-MVP w/ AMD 580X CrossFire Chipset+ATI™ SB600

The RAM is Corsair DDR2 Twin2X (2 512 sticks). They are DDR2-800, but the MB supposedly supports 800MHz.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Here's another link for you. It's the ASUS qualified vendor list (QVL) for your mb. While not the ultimate authority in what will work (some people have no problems with sticks not on the list, while others have problems, even though their stick is listed -- go figure), it is certainly a starting point, esp. for troubleshooting:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=328&model=1296&modelmenu=1

Click on the link to the left "QVL download" and open the pdf doc "...DDR800 4Dimm.pdf". There's only one Corsair stick listed, and it's the C4.

While on the site, you might want to check and make sure you have the latest bios installed for your mb if you're running a RAM model that is close, like yours, but not listed.

If you've got defective ram, after running memtest, you might want to return it to the vendor and get replacements that are on the list.

Also, since you're running dual channel, make sure the sticks are in the correct slots for dual channel -- IOW, both sticks should be in the same color slot.

TRENDING THREADS