dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
My computer is severely "overheating." Well, at least it thinks it is.

Basically, it's a P4 3.4 on an Intel board. The processor temperature (in the bios) will just continually rise until the computer shuts off. It typically shuts off around 108C. I posted about this computer here before, and people had suggested a whole lot of things, including reset your mobo, reseat your processor/HSF, clean everything out...

Anyway, I cleaned the whole case, took all the old cruddy thermal paste off with Isopropyl and reapplied some Artic Silver 5. Reseated everything and made sure it was all ok.

Now, when I first booted up from having the processor cold (And I mean cold. Not more than 25C), I went straight into my Bios and immediately checked the temperature.

It already said it was up to 99C. I felt the HSF and around the processor. Barely any warmth whatsoever.

My guess is my temperature reader thing is completely effed up or something, but I really have no idea. There's no reason why it should jump from 25C to 99C in under 15 seconds.

So does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps I can disable the temperature readings entirely and just use my computer as if it were ok?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

~Dac

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Like CompuTronix said, you can try resetting the bios, but I am afraid that some thermal diode has been just physically damaged.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Is it a 775 socket, for that P4? If it is a prescott, it prolly can reach those temps, if the HSF got loose from vibrations. I've read one article way back where northwood and prescott cores were tested, and the prescott could run at 105C.

Not disagreeing with anyone saying it could be the bios.

However it is possible for temps to reach high temps in a matter of secs, if the HSF is not installed correctly. It's basically like turning on a light bulb rated at 100watts.

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Well, when I reinstalled the HSF, I tried to "wiggle" it around, and couldn't, so I think it's on pretty tight. How would I go about reflashing my bios?

And is it really possible for a CPU to go from 25C to 99C in literallly 10-15 seconds? Even without a heatsink entirely, I find that hard to believe, not even considering this had a [freshly cleaned] heatsink and AS5.

~Dac

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I know it can be hard to believe, but what you can't see is really the size of the CPU die. It is very small with current running through it. And then you take in to consideration on how big your heat sink is to keep it cool.

Not to mention that when people put a system together, the instructions (or videos that you can see) tells you are not suppose to turn it on, until you install the HSF correctly or you will have thermal damage.

And when your in the bios, its like running a dos program, which will cause your CPU usage to be high. I wish the bios could tell you what the usage is when your there. In windows, programs take over the power management, which causes the usage to be low, which gives you lower temps. In a DOS environment (like the bios) that can't be done.

Edit:

Here's that article I saw way back:

Testing Thermal Throttling in Pentium 4 CPUs with Northwood and Prescott cores

The system with a Prescott CPU shuts down at a higher temperature than that with a Northwood. The latter's peak was, in our case, 98°C, while Prescott never shut down at temperatures below 101°C, sometimes even working on at 105°C.

So from that I'm just drawing conclusions that the temp may be within what is happening to his temps. Keep in mind for that test on the article, the FAN was turned off to reach those temps.

But there is a chance of the bios or thermal diode giving off the wrong reading that would cause it to shut down.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
If you could set the temp in the bios high(because you say your cpu is staying cool) long enough to flash the bios....just a thought ...gl :D

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Ok, I think I may have found the problem.

My stock HSF might not be making proper contact with my CPU. I guess for some reason, one of those little push-twist pin things (on the Intel Stock HSFs) isn't staying connected to my motherboard.

The HSF wobbles a bit if I move it, so it's not completely sturdy.

Now, do you guys think this is most likely the problem? I mean, It's still making contact, but it's not really pressing on the CPU extremely hard.

~Dac

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ok, I think I may have found the problem.

My stock HSF might not be making proper contact with my CPU. I guess for some reason, one of those little push-twist pin things (on the Intel Stock HSFs) isn't staying connected to my motherboard.

The HSF wobbles a bit if I move it, so it's not completely sturdy.

Now, do you guys think this is most likely the problem? I mean, It's still making contact, but it's not really pressing on the CPU extremely hard.

~Dac

Yes.

Though, you not the only person that has the problem with the 775 stock HS. I've read so many posts, and hear so many people check.. recheck.. redid, redone... could have sworn.. double check... redid the thermal grease... reinstalled again, and still had heat problems.

The last post I recall, is when one person, after redoing the HSF installation the 50th to 100th time, pushed hard and heard a loud pop from one of the push-twist pins. That right there shook him up, but he powered the system up and his temps were okay, or I should say back to normal.

If you are having problems with that stock HSF, find a 3rd party to replace it.