"A" drive troubleshooting .......drive T??? and other erro..

March 15, 2005 7:07:20 PM

running WindowsXP home, SP2, and using "A" as floppy drive.

I have had A-drive issues for awhile now, and would like to resolve this.
I can read files from floppy, and save them to C drive. But in trying to
save data from C: to floppy, I get various error messages, depending on the
file I'm trying to save, but including "Access denied: you do not have the
rights to do this" or "File does not exist: A:\filename.xxx". Maybe the
strangest is when saving a .jpg or .txt file to floppy, the 'write-protected
disk' letter changes to the first letter of the filename, i.e. filename
PARTY tries to save to P drive, filename TEST to T drive, etc. Also, if
trying to format a disk, get error "The disk is write-protected" whether it
is protected or not.
Device Manager indicates that both floppy disk controller and drive are
working properly. Ran PC Doctor, and the 4 scans all passed the tests.
Also uninstalled and reinstalled using the original driver disk.
There must be something very simple that I'm missing.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:07:21 PM

Device Manager is not the last word when it comes to floppy drives. It may
be going bad. Check cabling and try diskettes formatted on another
computer.

"Bruce Nesheim" <trashcan@alliancecom.net> wrote in message
> running WindowsXP home, SP2, and using "A" as floppy drive.
>
> I have had A-drive issues for awhile now, and would like to resolve this.
> I can read files from floppy, and save them to C drive. But in trying to
> save data from C: to floppy, I get various error messages, depending on
> the file I'm trying to save, but including "Access denied: you do not have
> the rights to do this" or "File does not exist: A:\filename.xxx". Maybe
> the strangest is when saving a .jpg or .txt file to floppy, the
> 'write-protected disk' letter changes to the first letter of the filename,
> i.e. filename PARTY tries to save to P drive, filename TEST to T drive,
> etc. Also, if trying to format a disk, get error "The disk is
> write-protected" whether it is protected or not.
> Device Manager indicates that both floppy disk controller and drive are
> working properly. Ran PC Doctor, and the 4 scans all passed the tests.
> Also uninstalled and reinstalled using the original driver disk.
> There must be something very simple that I'm missing.
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:29:27 PM

update: took disk to another computer, and saved 3 types of files to it.
All of them opened on this machine, but still cannot modify and save them to
disk here. Also opened computer case and checked connections to floppy
drive, all appear OK. Guess I'll have to replace the floppy drive. Thanks
for your help.

> Device Manager is not the last word when it comes to floppy drives. It
> may be going bad. Check cabling and try diskettes formatted on another
> computer.

> "Bruce Nesheim" <trashcan@alliancecom.net> wrote in message
>> running WindowsXP home, SP2, and using "A" as floppy drive.
>>
>> I have had A-drive issues for awhile now, and would like to resolve this.
>> I can read files from floppy, and save them to C drive. But in trying to
>> save data from C: to floppy, I get various error messages, depending on
>> the file I'm trying to save, but including "Access denied: you do not
>> have the rights to do this" or "File does not exist: A:\filename.xxx".
>> Maybe the strangest is when saving a .jpg or .txt file to floppy, the
>> 'write-protected disk' letter changes to the first letter of the
>> filename, i.e. filename PARTY tries to save to P drive, filename TEST to
>> T drive, etc. Also, if trying to format a disk, get error "The disk is
>> write-protected" whether it is protected or not.
>> Device Manager indicates that both floppy disk controller and drive are
>> working properly. Ran PC Doctor, and the 4 scans all passed the tests.
>> Also uninstalled and reinstalled using the original driver disk.
>> There must be something very simple that I'm missing.
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 6:38:52 PM

You're welcome and good luck.