HP Laserjet 5L Xtra

Great printer but I recently installed win2K. It prints the "self test"
(i.e. not from computer). I downloaded the drivers and thought I installed
them (when it prompted me for the driver I chose the download directory).
BUT whenever I try to print something, I get a bunch of jibberish on one
line of the paper.
I thought HP would be a good company but there is no support there. Anyone
have a clue as to where I should look next?
Thank you,
Paul

More about laserjet xtra

    swami wrote:

    > Great printer but I recently installed win2K. It prints the "self test"
    > (i.e. not from computer). I downloaded the drivers and thought I installed
    > them (when it prompted me for the driver I chose the download directory).
    > BUT whenever I try to print something, I get a bunch of jibberish on one
    > line of the paper.
    > I thought HP would be a good company but there is no support there. Anyone
    > have a clue as to where I should look next?
    > Thank you,

    I could be wrong, but isn't the 5L one of the HP host-based printers
    (same engine as the 6L/1100/3100/3150)? That is, all the printing
    functions are handled in the computer rather than the printer?

    If so, HP doesn't have a driver only software installation for it. You
    have to install the whole jetsuite application from the HP CD.

    .... and I agree about HP. They are completely bottom line driven. Once
    your warranty expires they won't make the slightest discussion until
    you cough up dough. That includes when they update driver software and
    it's buggy to the point of not working or not installing. So you get
    the updated software, it wrecks your system and you have to pay them
    to untangle it.

    Having said that, their forums are pretty good and helpful and if you
    can't solve your problem here, I'd suggest you try those.

    thanks you, I'll try using my CD.

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > swami wrote:
    > >
    > > Great printer but I recently installed win2K. It prints the "self test"
    > > (i.e. not from computer). I downloaded the drivers and thought I
    installed
    > > them (when it prompted me for the driver I chose the download
    directory).
    > > BUT whenever I try to print something, I get a bunch of jibberish on
    one
    > > line of the paper.
    > > I thought HP would be a good company but there is no support there.
    Anyone
    > > have a clue as to where I should look next?
    > > Thank you,
    >
    > I could be wrong, but isn't the 5L one of the HP host-based printers
    > (same engine as the 6L/1100/3100/3150)? That is, all the printing
    > functions are handled in the computer rather than the printer?
    >
    > If so, HP doesn't have a driver only software installation for it. You
    > have to install the whole jetsuite application from the HP CD.
    >
    > ... and I agree about HP. They are completely bottom line driven. Once
    > your warranty expires they won't make the slightest discussion until
    > you cough up dough. That includes when they update driver software and
    > it's buggy to the point of not working or not installing. So you get
    > the updated software, it wrecks your system and you have to pay them
    > to untangle it.
    >
    > Having said that, their forums are pretty good and helpful and if you
    > can't solve your problem here, I'd suggest you try those.

    This didn't work.
    Thanks anyway.

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > swami wrote:
    > >
    > > Great printer but I recently installed win2K. It prints the "self test"
    > > (i.e. not from computer). I downloaded the drivers and thought I
    installed
    > > them (when it prompted me for the driver I chose the download
    directory).
    > > BUT whenever I try to print something, I get a bunch of jibberish on
    one
    > > line of the paper.
    > > I thought HP would be a good company but there is no support there.
    Anyone
    > > have a clue as to where I should look next?
    > > Thank you,
    >
    > I could be wrong, but isn't the 5L one of the HP host-based printers
    > (same engine as the 6L/1100/3100/3150)? That is, all the printing
    > functions are handled in the computer rather than the printer?
    >
    > If so, HP doesn't have a driver only software installation for it. You
    > have to install the whole jetsuite application from the HP CD.
    >
    > ... and I agree about HP. They are completely bottom line driven. Once
    > your warranty expires they won't make the slightest discussion until
    > you cough up dough. That includes when they update driver software and
    > it's buggy to the point of not working or not installing. So you get
    > the updated software, it wrecks your system and you have to pay them
    > to untangle it.
    >
    > Having said that, their forums are pretty good and helpful and if you
    > can't solve your problem here, I'd suggest you try those.

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Windows