Sign in with
Your question

Help me stretch this tired old 939 for a few months...

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2007 5:37:10 AM

My 3700+ processor is getting slow. I plan on an upgrade to my system soon, but I can't play Obliivion at decent framerates in Vista. What's the best processor I could get in the interim?

System specs:
Dell 2405 @1900 x 1280
Antec neoHE550 PSU
The aforementioned AMD 3700+ proc
2 GB OCZ Plat. ddr,
2x asus en6800 Ultras in SLI
DFI lanparty UT dr expert
and an ac freezer pro HSF.

Vista perf. stuff

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ 4.2 4.2
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.7
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU 5.9
Gaming graphics 495 MB Total available graphics memory 5.0
Primary hard disk 236GB Free (298GB Total) 5.7
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

So obviously it is the CPU that is holding me back ATM.
March 3, 2007 6:12:42 AM

Maybe I forgot to mention the 24" monitor, at 1920 x 1200... And oblivivion runs 'acceptably' in XP, but only just so. In short, I asked for a CPU to get me by for a few months... One that would fit my socket and my PSU.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2007 6:17:49 AM

Quote:
Well the best thing to extend the life of that system is to go back to XP.

Your main hold up is the video card not the CPU.

I second both of these recommendations as well.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 3, 2007 6:31:35 AM

'Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ 4.2 4.2'

OK, let me re-phrase the question... What cpu will get me by until the current cpu / gpu wars get sorted, and give me a better score than the above?

Yes, I am well aware that I can do somewhat better running XP. But only 'somewhat'. When I do upgrade, it will be the entire system. All I want for now is enough FPS difference to gt me by. Obviously, my CPU is holding me back, so what's the best CPU that I can do given the current setup that I have?
March 3, 2007 6:48:31 AM

Well, first thing that comes to mind is anything dual core since oblivion is designed around dual core. I have that same motherboard with an opteron 165 which yes, is a server chip but it runs very well. I prefer the optys because they tend to overclock better than their x2 brothers. I don't know what type of a budget your on but I would definately go with the opty 165 especially if your running that board. Otherwise, go with the x2 3800 if budget is a concern. You can't go wrong with either chip really.
March 3, 2007 6:53:33 AM

Assume that budget isn't much of an issue... I haven't done an upgrade in a while, so what is the best opty that I could use for a 939 ddr system?
March 3, 2007 6:55:44 AM

Quote:
'Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ 4.2 4.2'

OK, let me re-phrase the question... What cpu will get me by until the current cpu / gpu wars get sorted, and give me a better score than the above?

Yes, I am well aware that I can do somewhat better running XP. But only 'somewhat'. When I do upgrade, it will be the entire system. All I want for now is enough FPS difference to gt me by. Obviously, my CPU is holding me back, so what's the best CPU that I can do given the current setup that I have?

Just wanted to add my specs for my AMD system:

DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI Expert
AMD Opty 165 Overclocked to 2.5GHz (very stable)
G. Skill DDR400 2X1G Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate
XFX 8800GTS 320 3dmark06 score: 8001
March 3, 2007 6:59:10 AM

Quote:
Assume that budget isn't much of an issue... I haven't done an upgrade in a while, so what is the best opty that I could use for a 939 ddr system?

Well, the 165 is certainly good because it overclocks well enough to run at FX60 speeds but any one of the Denmark cores are good. Just get whatever one you want depending on your budget. I know quantities are limited at most places anymore so, you might have to take what you can get.
March 3, 2007 7:02:01 AM

'Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU 5.9'

Upgrade what????

Can ANYONE tell me what is the best opty is that will run on a 939 with ddr ram?
March 3, 2007 7:21:54 AM

i know youre insisting on a new cpu... but it shouldnt be the primary upgrade concern, if youre looking to improve your gaming performance... by current gaming standards (especially when it comes to more demanding games), the 6800 Ultra is simply outdated, and more subpar, especially when it comes down to a game resolution and detail basis... the cpu however, is not... ...if youre still insistant on getting a new cpu, go for a dual core, but it will not provide the boost youre looking for... especially if youre gaming at high resolutions/detail settings... and oblivion is the type of game, that as a whole, is just those things.

gaming aside, going for a dual core is no doubt a very worthwhile thing to do.

heres an example:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&m...

at 1600x1200, max details and settings, which is still lower than your resolution, but possibly higher detail settings than you use...

in oblivion, the 6800 Ultra SLI manages to get 6FPS... a 7900GTX manages to get 11FPS... and an 8800GTX manages to get 30.5 FPS... ...if your cpu was in fact what was limiting you, you wouldnt get any higher than those same 6 FPS, regardless of which GPU you installed.
March 3, 2007 7:26:20 AM

For a mesaly $335, you can get an opteron 185. It would give you about 18% more frames.
Dual core yields about 10%, while mhz gives about 2% per 100mhz.
The extra 512 cache you have is also worth about 4%.
Sorry, but at that res, the game is a resource hog.
Maybe with a barcelona,and two top of the line 600 cards in crossfire, you'll be able to play.
!