Program Files as a Mounted Partition :: Is it possible?

I'm trying to create a basic partition that will be
mounted on the drive "C" which holds the OS.

I know that mounted partitions are created by
selecting 'mounting' (to an empty folder) during partiion
setup.

I would like this partition to be named "Program Files"
so that whenever I need to install a program, it would
find it automatically [as would normally do] under the
main drive (c:/>Program Files).

However, because there is an existing Program File, I
could not create another folder with that same name, so I
tried to 'copying' the contents of the Program Files into
another folder in a different partition, and that worked.
But then, I tried deleting all of the files in the
existing 'Program Files' folder in order to empty that
folder and that... I could NOT do.

There are files that I can not delete and I get a message
indicating something like 'this process is in use' or
something similar and even when nothing else is open
except the windows I'm working in I can not delete all of
the docs in that file.

Can someone tell me if is possible to change the name of
that existing file (eg: Program Files 2), and then create
a new empty folder with the name Program Files that I can
mount my partition to?

If is possible? How can I do it? I tried the
normal 'rename' and does not work.

Thanks a LOT for any help!
rocio

If I understand correctly, you copied the default "Program Files" directory
to an alternant location then tried to delete the files from the original
location.

In order to move this folder you would need to use the add remove feature
to remove all programs installed to that directory since registry keys
point to that location and then reinstall them to a seperate directory.
Windows uses this directory to install critical program files as well. I do
not recommend modifying your default Program Files directory or deleting
it.

It sounds like you are looking for a way to automatically change the
default install path of program files you install and unfortunantly to my
knowledge there is no way to do this other than user intervention during
the install phase of an application. You would select the custoemr install
option and specify the install path.

Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
or opinions of Microsoft.

Thanks Elijah, for your information.
That is exactly what I was trying to do. Too bad it can't
be done. So I guess I will have to stick to the method of
choosing the path through the custom install.
Thanks again! :)
Rocio
ps At least I know understand why I could not empty the
folder. And that info might be of help some other time. :)

If you do an unattended install you can specify the location for
Program Files and Common Program Files

Of course, these features are undocumented, but you find them on the
link below...(some of them actually maked it into the docs in the
deploy.cab file in Windows XP SP2, but not the ones controlling the
Program Files location)

Reference

Undocumented entries for the unattended text file
http://www.wug-nordic.net/articles/unattend-undocumented.htm

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:50:35 GMT, a-elijal@online.microsoft.com
("Elijah Landreth [MSFT]") wrote:

>If I understand correctly, you copied the default "Program Files" directory
>to an alternant location then tried to delete the files from the original
>location.
>
>In order to move this folder you would need to use the add remove feature
>to remove all programs installed to that directory since registry keys
>point to that location and then reinstall them to a seperate directory.
>Windows uses this directory to install critical program files as well. I do
>not recommend modifying your default Program Files directory or deleting
>it.
>
>It sounds like you are looking for a way to automatically change the
>default install path of program files you install and unfortunantly to my
>knowledge there is no way to do this other than user intervention during
>the install phase of an application. You would select the custoemr install
>option and specify the install path.
>

>Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
>Microsoft Server Setup Team
>
>Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
>Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
>See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
>
>NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
>others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
>more timely response. Thank you!
>
>This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
>implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
>merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
>The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
>not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
>Microsoft.
> or opinions of Microsoft.

Thank you Johan, for the tip and for the lead. I have
copied the link to a document to have it on hand. I
haven't contemplated doing 'unatended installs' [I'm not
very proficient when it comes to 'in depth'
customization] but with proper information comes more
confidence... so I will try. :)

One doubt. You mentioned in your note "Windows XP SP2",
and the OS I have and using to install is MS2000. Would
the case be the same in both instances?

Thanks for the clarification on this!
Rocio

Hi,

The note was only about the Windows XP deployment docmentation being
updated in SP2.

The programfilesdir parameter works in Windows 2000 as well

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:38:58 -0700, "rocio"
<rocio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you Johan, for the tip and for the lead. I have
>copied the link to a document to have it on hand. I
>haven't contemplated doing 'unatended installs' [I'm not
>very proficient when it comes to 'in depth'
>customization] but with proper information comes more
>confidence... so I will try. :)
>
>One doubt. You mentioned in your note "Windows XP SP2",
>and the OS I have and using to install is MS2000. Would
>the case be the same in both instances?
>
>Thanks for the clarification on this!
>Rocio

TRENDING THREADS