Sign in with
Your question

Noobie need help in chosing a processor

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2007 6:24:05 AM

I am planning to build a new computer- - aiming for a budget build. This is a *non gaming* computer- so I am not planning to Overclock or anything like that. I may do moderate computation though. I want to chose a good Intel processor. Was thinking of going with Pentium D, however, browsing through the forums here, I find so many people don't seem to like Pentium D (except pentium D 805). Just wondering could it be because most of the people here are gamers (want to overclock and Pentium D is not good for that) ?.

Looking up the processors/prices I found that
this (Pentium D 915 Presler/2.8 GHz/800 MHz FSB/2*2MB L2 Cache/Dual core/LGA 775) is priced less than
this (Pentium D 820 Smithfield/2.8 GHz/800 MHz FSB/2*1MB L2 Cache/Dual core/LGA 775) eventhough the former seems to have better specs. Could some knowleadgeable souls out there point out to me

1) is there any technical (other than marketing) reasons for this price difference ?, or do you guys consider Pentium D 820 is better than Pentium D 915 ?.

2) is it OK to build a non-overclocked system with pentium D ?.

Thanks,
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2007 7:11:24 AM

The reason why the Pentium D805 was mention a lot in these forums was for awhile, it was the overclocking king. Here's the story behind the D805

Between the two, any D9XX Pentium is better than a D8XX when it comes to heat. They run a bit cooler.

Staying in the $100 range, I personally would go with this. The AMD X2's run faster and cooler than any Pentium D. However, I would go with verndewd's recommendation and get a E4300. It run coolers and faster than any X2 or Pentium D for the money.
March 3, 2007 7:32:00 AM

The Pentium Ds used to be much cheaper than Athlon64 X2s that's why they were so popular. Now that the prices have dropped however, the X2s (with the X2 3600+ and X2 3800+) are a much better than PentiumDs for a budget or even overclocking build while Core2s are the performance kings.
So, as mentioned before, go for an E6300/E4300 (~$170) or a X2 3600+ (~$100) but no reason at all to mention the PentiumDs.

P.S:Hardcore overclockers would chose the E4300. If not overclocking, the X2 3600+ is very near to the E4300 or even E6300, so it would be a beter bang/buck.
Related resources
March 3, 2007 1:22:45 PM

Quote:
The Pentium Ds used to be much cheaper than Athlon64 X2s that's why they were so popular. Now that the prices have dropped however, the X2s (with the X2 3600+ and X2 3800+) are a much better than PentiumDs for a budget or even overclocking build while Core2s are the performance kings.
So, as mentioned before, go for an E6300/E4300 (~$170) or a X2 3600+ (~$100) but no reason at all to mention the PentiumDs.

P.S:Hardcore overclockers would chose the E4300. If not overclocking, the X2 3600+ is very near to the E4300 or even E6300, so it would be a beter bang/buck.

Thanks for the helps. It seems every one suggest to use E4300, I am yet to find a CPU chart for E4300 at Toms, that would have been really helpful. Probably I should wait for price cuts in April so that I can fit E4300 in my budget- not sure I can wait that long.
March 3, 2007 1:43:08 PM

You can find a post here in the forum to answer that.

CPU Price/Performance Graph

It is nearby, and will show relative performance and prices when you click on the icons to expand the graphs.

It's hard to beat the PentD prices, the AM2 X2 3800 value, or the e4300 overclocking.

The AM2 motherboards will accept the new barcelona type cpu chips so you could upgrade it that way in a year or 18 months.

For reference I have an X2 4200, about 10% faster than a X2 3800, and I do extremely heavy multitasking, and when I have to wait on my computer to respond it's always either waiting on the hard drive to load something, or waiting on a software conflict to resolve. Only way an X2 3800 would slow you down a little is if you do simultaneous video encoding while you also use the computer for other things, but it will still work ok. (Or if you plan to soon play certain of the most demanding games with an 8800 level graphics card).

Be sure you have minimum 1 GB of memory (I am frugal, but I needed 1.5 GB), and a new hard drive.
March 3, 2007 3:52:16 PM

If I was in your shoes tech, I would go for a AMD X2 chip. You will be more than happy with it.

My reasons:

1. It fits your budget.
2. You won't be gaming, i.e. if fits your needs perfectly.
3. Your looking to buy sooner than later.

I see no real reason for you to wait. In fact during everyday usage, the extra $40-60 you would spend on a E4300 won't even be noticeable. Honestly for the majority of consumers AMD is a great deal price wise and functionality wise.
March 3, 2007 4:41:57 PM

Only advice I have, is to stay away from anything labeled Pentium, and stick with Core 2 Duo for Intel products

I agree AMD does have the best dirt cheap prices atm. Pretty amazing how prices have changed at this point.

Kinda wish it is April now to see the price drops for the C2D cores.
March 3, 2007 5:17:53 PM

I am happy to see so many helpful (and knowledgeable) people around. I should have been more clear in my post- I want to stick with Intel. It is because I have done quite a bit of microprocessor programming in the past - and want to brush it up and do more in that line. I am quite familiar with Intel chips programming- and want to stick to that for that reason. So AMD is a no go for me.

As far as other components are concerned- I already started procuring components (well, I am a deal catcher). So far I have got

1. Hard disk: 160 GB SATA ($25.00)
2. 16X DL SONY DVD writer ($5.00)
3. PNY DDR2 667, 2GB (2x1GB) 240-Pin Dual Channel RAM($105.00)
4. 500 W power supply- Ultra: (Free)
5. Midtower ATX case: Ultra: ($5.00)

So far I have spent around $140.00. I could probably spend another $150-$200.00 for CPU and motherboard.

System will be in Linux (may be a windows partition, which I can load when I get a free (close to) deal on OS). I am planning to use a 19" WideScreen LCD (looking for a deal- I missed $99.00 Hans deal at Office Depot three weeks ago).

Now I want to chose the CPU and Motherboard.

These are the motherboards I have in mind:

1. ASUS P5L-VM 1394 : $90.00, here
2. ECS P4M900T-M : $53.00, here
3. ECS 945G-M3 (V3.0) : $63.00, here
4. GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2 : $107.00, here
5. GIGABYTE GA-945P-S3 : $85.00, here

First 4 of them has Integrated video.
As per reviews, item 1 has mixed reviews for Linux
Item 2 doesn't have dual memory support (is it that bad ?)
Item 4,5 is DDR2 800 MHz - may be better if want to substitute another RAM, however Item 5 doesn't have integrated video

So, here is(are) my question(s):

1 . for a non-gamer, integrated video/non-integrated- which is the way to go ?.
2. Which one of the above would be a better choice (no overclocking interest here). I think item 1 is the best ?

As per selection of CPUs, it seems E4300 is the best way to go (price is a bit high though). I may go for a pentium D in that case.

Thanks for your help.
March 3, 2007 5:43:50 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Mother Board $135

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
CPU $97

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Memory $140

This would be the foundation to a real solid computer that you would be able to Plug in an Intel Quad core in the future if you wanted to upgrade.

While the components aren't the cheapest, they are Extremely reliable for the $$$ and all compatible with each other. This will give you a trouble free build withl an integrated graphics chip that will run Vista.

Sometimes if you go too cheap you end up spending more because you may find that PQi memory won't work in many MBs or it will give you errors. Then when you want to upgrade 2 years later you will find you have to throw everything away.

I would verify the Integrated graphics on the MB has Linux drivers before getting it.
March 3, 2007 5:46:30 PM

For that budget, go for an X2 3800+; it outperforms, runs cooler, and uses less power than both of the CPUs you mentioned.
April 17, 2014 6:55:23 AM

go to PC world they are very good
!