Intel 915G chipset future processors for it?

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Guys,

I know that my system is not that recent but, It's just not fair that because I got Intel 915G chipset that wont support any dual cores. Intel 865 support a few Pentium Ds. I just hope Intel will still release a decent processor (single core) that would enable me to upgrade for playing HD content. Any Conroe for my old system?

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I guess I have just to look for any Pentium 4 640-670 processors to keep me in the game with you guys. I was wondering if the Single Core, Conroe CELERON D 4xx something this year will be better than any pentium 4 5xx/6xx

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Any new Architecture including New-Gen Celerons would require the 965 Chipset or Better.. Sorry about that but it's just better to say "goodbye" to that 915 and get a newer one, because your stuck to Pentium class with "netburst" chips otherwise.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Isn't Conroe just a name for Dual-Core 2x2Mb Cache on LGA775.
Since Allendale is a name for Dual-Core 1x2Mb Cache on LGA775.
And Kentsfield is a name for Two Conroes (Quad-Core) 2x2x2 Mb Cache on LGA771.

Just a Core Code for specific segments of CPU.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I just have to wait 2H 2007 for any miracles or I'll get hold of the fastest single core Intel Processor. Thanks
Sorry to let you know but there won't be no miracles; even if Intel releases Core2-derived single cores, they will still be compatible only with Core2 chipsets because it's not just because of the two cores that your board is cut off; it's a lot more about VIDs and different architecture functionality in general.
Don't do the mistake of getting a Pentium 4 because it wouldn't be worth at all. If you want a dual core for cheap, a newegg AM2 CPU/mobo combo for $130-140 is just what you need if on a very low budget and upgradeability is stretched at least to the first K10 chips which seem to be superior to actual Core2s.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I think I have no choice but to save some money for a new PC with dual core support. either AMD or Intel would be fine. I play occasionally, and what matters to me most is for my next system to support HD video. I've seen in Cyberlink's website that my system processor doesnt meet the minimum for either Blu-ray or HD-DVD playback. I'm in the philippines, memory is cheap, processor similar with US prices, but videocards are RARE. I even have to request a friend from California to buy XFX 7600GT 256MB from newegg, because its cheaper than 7600GS here in Philippines.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
I just bought a G5 shuttle for my daughter with 915 --it came with vista and 1 gig ram. dvd rom, 150 gb hdd ..... your post is why i got it for $400

no c2d capablity - she be fine IMing and typing for next few years with it!

I think I have no choice but to save some money for a new PC with dual core support. either AMD or Intel would be fine. I play occasionally, and what matters to me most is for my next system to support HD video. I've seen in Cyberlink's website that my system processor doesnt meet the minimum for either Blu-ray or HD-DVD playback. I'm in the philippines, memory is cheap, processor similar with US prices, but videocards are RARE. I even have to request a friend from California to buy XFX 7600GT 256MB from newegg, because its cheaper than 7600GS here in Philippines.

You can stll game with it if you get a good gpu and a 350 w shuttle psu - i doubt its worth it.

if your going hd-dvd you need some better stuff

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
My video card is arriving soon. My pal in california is getting either BFG or XFX Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3 from Newegg.com This may keep my system better.

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
There are no single core Conroes that i know of. Conroe is the code name for the C2Ds.

Theres actually a "core 2 solo" on the roadmap for the 3rd quarter, but its a low voltage notebook chip and wouldn't help the op anyway.

With the current state of cpus though, who knows if it'll ever see the light of day.