Automatic shutdown

For some reason, this install of w2000 will not shutdown
automatically - prompts for manual shutdown - "It is now
o.k. to turn off computer"

How can I fix this?

thanks

System 1ghz AMD athlon on Asus motherboard.

Was shutting down previously, with win98, and upgrade from
that to w2000.

This is a clean install on a new hard drive. That's why I
am puzzled.

oldbab wrote:
> System 1ghz AMD athlon on Asus motherboard.
>
> Was shutting down previously, with win98, and upgrade from
> that to w2000.
>
> This is a clean install on a new hard drive. That's why I
> am puzzled.

I would primarily check your BIOS setup -- not necessarily change it but
write the following info down and then visit the system manufacturer
(dell, gateway, asus, gigabyte, etc) for a possible BIOS update.

get yourself into the system bios, often by hitting F1, or ESC, or DEL,
or something else.. check your screen when power is initially turned on
your system. Once in BIOS, check for any type of power management,
ACPI, etc. if it's disabled that could be cause #1

Possible reason #2: Win2000 can't actively control the power
management. check device manager. if there is anything related to
power management and any icon on top of it, it probably won't work.
Check your system website for a driver or update specifically for power
management in windows 2000.

Those sound like the 2 most possible reasons. I would urge you to check
the sys website ANYWAY to see if there is a bugfix or FAQ out there
somewhere. If you decide to upgrade your BIOS, you must be ABSOLUTELY
SURE IT IS COMPATABLE OR YOU MAY RISK DAMAGING THE SYSTEM BOARD. I've
only upgraded two BIOS' and both were for good reason, but I haven't
upgraded dozens that had the update available.

Win2k is a good OS, but as with any Windows OS, some things aren't perfect.

Good Luck, write back if you would like more info.

TJ

I had updated the BIOS from the ASUS site previously,
as was having problems with stability. Now, I have
stability...

Will troubleshoot your suggestions.

Oldbab

KB810903

us;810903

Thanks,

Am using hibernate function now - works well.

Oldbab