NT software RAID..

OK.. Here is my problem.. I have Win2000 server that host Terminal server
application mode for about 40 clients, however this server was never
configured with RAID.. It has been online for about 2 years now and I am a
bit concern about disk failure..
I was thinking about using NT software base raid on this server until a
decission is made to purchase a hardware Raid controller.. I have 2 identcal
drives in the server - Disk 1 is drive C; and Disk 2 free space..
Can I convert my disk to dynamic and then use NT software raid 1, without
any lost of data.. in addition if I were to have a fail drive would my drive
been seen by the OS as hotpluggable..
Thanks
Darren

oops! I made an error on the currently disk config partition.. Here is what
I have..
Disk 1 - basic - dell utility partition , c: 4 GB System and boot partition
and d: users data 64 GB
Disk 2 - dynamic- unallocated space 68 GB

Can I convert disk 1 to dynamic then confige bit drives as NT raid 1
(mirror)

"Darren D" <Darren@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> OK.. Here is my problem.. I have Win2000 server that host Terminal server
> application mode for about 40 clients, however this server was never
> configured with RAID.. It has been online for about 2 years now and I am a
> bit concern about disk failure..
> I was thinking about using NT software base raid on this server until a
> decission is made to purchase a hardware Raid controller.. I have 2
identcal
> drives in the server - Disk 1 is drive C; and Disk 2 free space..
> Can I convert my disk to dynamic and then use NT software raid 1, without
> any lost of data.. in addition if I were to have a fail drive would my
drive
> been seen by the OS as hotpluggable..
> Thanks
> Darren

Darren

Yes, you can convert to dynamic and set up a mirror. However, ensure that
you have SP3 or later, this MS Knowledge Base article explains why:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=280724

The steps needed to create the mirror is described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302969

Also, a full backup is an important security measure.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)