installing cd-drive

Greetings!
After installing a 2nd hd I have to install my 2nd cd-
drive outside of my pc tower box. And since I am not
using the 'outlet' place for my printer I thaught I could
install this cd-drive using the printer 'outlet'. Is this
possible? Any idea? Thanx!
6 answers Last reply
More about installing drive

    "penelop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    > After installing a 2nd hd I have to install my 2nd cd-
    > drive outside of my pc tower box. And since I am not
    > using the 'outlet' place for my printer I thaught I could
    > install this cd-drive using the printer 'outlet'. Is this
    > possible? Any idea? Thanx!

    there are external cd's that will work with USB or Firewire
    but any external cd's that would work with a parallel port are now
    obsolete...

    philo wrote:

    > "penelop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Greetings!
    >>After installing a 2nd hd I have to install my 2nd cd-
    >>drive outside of my pc tower box. And since I am not
    >>using the 'outlet' place for my printer I thaught I could
    >>install this cd-drive using the printer 'outlet'. Is this
    >>possible? Any idea? Thanx!
    >

    > there are external cd's that will work with USB or Firewire
    > but any external cd's that would work with a parallel port are now
    > obsolete...

    If you simply don't have room in the case for the drive,
    then it's time for a new case.

    If it is a matter of not having any ports left on your
    controller - whether IDE, SCSI, SATA ... - then just
    buy a PCI card to give you more controller ports. A
    card good enough for a CD drive should be cheap like
    borscht.

    Either solution - case or card (or both) - would
    probably be cheaper than buying a USB or IEEE1394
    external drive.

    On the other hand, I have seen people with full towers
    and no empty drive bays trying to add one or two more
    CD or DVD drives. They just use duct tape to tape the
    drives to the top of the case and route the IDE and power
    cables through a hole in the top of the case. Works fine
    for a cheap CD jukebox type of thingy.

    Hi and thanks, where should this pci card be installed?
    Thanks again!

    penelope wrote:

    > Hi and thanks, where should this pci card be installed?

    A PCI card obviously goes into a PCI slot, so the
    fact that you asked that question anyway makes me
    think that you had something else in mind. Please
    try again.

    > Thanks again!

    I don't know you - and I didn't have anything in my mind
    about you (now!).

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    penelope wrote:
    > I don't know you - and I didn't have anything in my mind
    > about you (now!).

    ROTFLMAO ! I meant you obviously must know that
    a PCI card goes in a PCI slot, so what did you
    really mean by
    "where should this pci card be installed?".

    Rephrase the question, in other words.

    Besides, I don't know you either. For all I know you
    have some filthy, disgusting habits like smoking or
    eating brocolli.

CD Drives Printers Windows