Barcelona to launch on monday

bonkers

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
a week ago they told us that the first release would only be in the range of 2,1-2,3 ghz

now it is 2,66

totally confused

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If they managed 3.0G on 90nm K8, it was pretty logical to predict this, even because, just like Intel did, they need as much of a hype as possible on the first-impression release.
Though, judging by the way that in which it's written ... they say the 'L' in K8L stands for 'Low Power' :roll:

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
dunno, it might actually happen monday.. they've already added it to their flash applet on the amd main website "Revolutionary Performance with an Evolutionary Design" "Quad Core Opteron Processors"

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
But hey, it was the french company AXA who upped their stake in AMD to 10.6% by purchasing 25 million shares at about 35 bucks per share...
http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/71906

8O 8O 8O

I would be scrambling for publicity too. :)

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I think there was something lost in translation. Darn French.

But hey, we already saw all the benches we need to see:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37907
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/host_cpu_stats.php?pr=sah&st=0&or=10

So I guess the timing is about right.... go ask Baron.

:) :)

But hey, it was the french company AXA who upped their stake in AMD to 10.6% by purchasing 25 million shares at about 35 bucks per share...
http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/71906

Sorry, I might be being a bit dim, but these 'benches' are total nonsense, right? what is all this 'credit' stuff anyway?

Also: another quick question. Do we know if current AM2 mobos will support Agena? I know Barcelona will use socket F, whatever that is, but what about the desktop variant?

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Sorry, I might be being a bit dim, but these 'benches' are total nonsense, right? what is all this 'credit' stuff anyway?

Also: another quick question. Do we know if current AM2 mobos will support Agena? I know Barcelona will use socket F, whatever that is, but what about the desktop variant?

AMD stated that the current AM2 board will support the new architecture, but with some power-related functions disabled.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
AMD stated that the current AM2 board will support the new architecture, but with some power-related functions disabled.

Barcelona = Socket F :?: :?:
I thought Barcelona = AM2/3

There will be single-core (Spica), dual-core (Kuma / Rana) and quad-core (Agena(FX)) versions.

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Hmm... interesting. I'm starting to appreciate now why some people are recommending AMD because of a possible upgrade path. When you think that there's no guarantees whatsoever that current LGA775 boards will support Penryn, that strikes me as a good reason to think AMD might not be a bad option: something like the X2 5200 for now, then upgrade later.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I cant wait til all of you buy 1 and tell me the results are so I can find the perfect stepping,find out if its hype,crap or good,and buy it for a % of the cost you spent on it 6 months from now....hows that food for thought :D

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Barcelona = Socket F :?: :?:
I thought Barcelona = AM2/3

just like there are opterons for AM2 and Socket 939 I bet there will be for AM2, for companies or corporations who dont need registered memory.
also remember the FX series are on socket F aka socket-dont-know-how-many-pins (but witouth registered memory) if Im correct..
anyone correct me if im wrong.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
hmm, from what i can tell there, they are saying low power versions of the K8 wil be launched not k10.

also, i am pretty sure K8L was never meant to mean barcelona and that it was guy from the enquirer who got it mixed up and started the whole K8L=K10 stuff.

personally i think their is some crossed wires.

Again, he was correcting the name of Barcelona. There is supposed to be a Turion shrink which would drop that to about 12-15W but the thing Monday is a demo of a multicore game.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
maybe this is why the held off on r600 maybe they want to get the chips out there...and so ppl can run one on a server platform!? i mean isn't "octo fx" not due out for a while later this year? maybe they'll bump that up so kingpin can score 50k on 3dmark 06 sooner...