INstall 2nd Drive into Dell Dimension 9200

FelixtheCat

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi just got this computer and I want to take the SATA drive from my old system and install it into my new computer. I looked inside the case and seems straightforward, just slot drive into holder, but the power and drive cables from PSU do not seem long enough to reach! Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Power cords should be long enough, can't imagine Dell would put a PSU in that the wires wouldn't reach all the drives. But if not, you can buy extensions. Probably have to buy a molex to SATA power cable

FelixtheCat

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Power cords should be long enough, can't imagine Dell would put a PSU in that the wires wouldn't reach all the drives. But if not, you can buy extensions. Probably have to buy a molex to SATA power cable

Well the cables must be long enough, just I can't quite see them coiled up in the dark box... There are spare grooves and holders for wires to run through so... Will look inside again tomorrow, thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The wires are probably neatly bundled and you'll have to cut what's holding the together, usually a plastic tie. Make sure when your done none of the wires are touching any fans or blocking air flow

FelixtheCat

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
The wires are probably neatly bundled and you'll have to cut what's holding the together, usually a plastic tie. Make sure when your done none of the wires are touching any fans or blocking air flow

OK thanks a lot friend. A problem was because only one side of the case opens and the main drive's cable runs behind the processor shroud, I was wondering how I was going to get the 2nd drive's cable down there also...