why is Partition Magic making my computer not boot

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi. For starters, I made a Drive Image backup of my boot partition,
which I was able to restore, so everything is fine and my computer is
OK. Now, why is it that whenever I try to do anything on my Win2k
system with Partition Magic 8, which usually requires booting to DOS,
whether I am modifying a boot partition or just a regular data
partition, after rebooting my machine will not boot? You would think
after 3 times I would get the message that it just isn't going to
work. But why?

Even if I try running a 2000 repair from the recovery console, it
still won't boot. Even if I try booting from a boot floppy, which I
know has worked in the past, it still won't boot. The only thing that
works is restoring the partition from a Drive Image.

By not booting, what I mean is that:
1) the machine gets to the part where it checks the CD and floppy for
boot stuff, and then just sits there blinking. No message, no nothing.
2) If I try to boot from my Win2000 boot floppy, it tells me it can't
find ntoskrnl.exe.
3) Using a bootmagic rescue disk will see the partition, and I can
tell it to make it bootable, but upon rebooting it just does #1 above.

I can understand sorta why resizing my boot partition might be
related, since it is the boot partition. But even resizing a data
partition, which I would think would have nothing to do with the boot
partition, even that results in my system not booting afterwards. I am
not using bootmagic, and do not have a drive overlay of any type.
Anyone understand what is going on?

Thanks,
Irwin

Irwin Feuerstein wrote:
> Hi. For starters, I made a Drive Image backup of my boot partition,
> which I was able to restore, so everything is fine and my computer is
> OK. Now, why is it that whenever I try to do anything on my Win2k
> system with Partition Magic 8, which usually requires booting to DOS,
> whether I am modifying a boot partition or just a regular data
> partition, after rebooting my machine will not boot? You would think
> after 3 times I would get the message that it just isn't going to
> work. But why?
>
> Even if I try running a 2000 repair from the recovery console, it
> still won't boot. Even if I try booting from a boot floppy, which I
> know has worked in the past, it still won't boot. The only thing that
> works is restoring the partition from a Drive Image.
>
> By not booting, what I mean is that:
> 1) the machine gets to the part where it checks the CD and floppy for
> boot stuff, and then just sits there blinking. No message, no nothing.
> 2) If I try to boot from my Win2000 boot floppy, it tells me it can't
> find ntoskrnl.exe.
> 3) Using a bootmagic rescue disk will see the partition, and I can
> tell it to make it bootable, but upon rebooting it just does #1 above.
>
> I can understand sorta why resizing my boot partition might be
> related, since it is the boot partition. But even resizing a data
> partition, which I would think would have nothing to do with the boot
> partition, even that results in my system not booting afterwards. I am
> not using bootmagic, and do not have a drive overlay of any type.
> Anyone understand what is going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Irwin

(detected crossposting -- suggest single group post next time!)

Greetings Irwin,

It has been my experience that no matter what version of "Partition
Magic" that people I talk to and read reports from keep saying Partition
Magic couldn't do this or that.

I don't think Partition Magic works as well as they advertized. I've
resized one partition using a freeware utility (presizer.exe - a
dos-based application to do same) that even remarks the blocks and
stuff. I use Symantec/Norton Ghost for my imaging needs.

I don't mean to be bad news, but you may just need to loose Partition
Magic. I've never heard anything good about their product.

Good Luck.
TJ

Tim Judd wrote:

> Irwin Feuerstein wrote:
>> Hi. For starters, I made a Drive Image backup of my boot partition,
>> which I was able to restore, so everything is fine and my computer is
>> OK. Now, why is it that whenever I try to do anything on my Win2k
>> system with Partition Magic 8, which usually requires booting to DOS,
>> whether I am modifying a boot partition or just a regular data
>> partition, after rebooting my machine will not boot? You would think
>> after 3 times I would get the message that it just isn't going to
>> work. But why?
>>
>> Even if I try running a 2000 repair from the recovery console, it
>> still won't boot. Even if I try booting from a boot floppy, which I
>> know has worked in the past, it still won't boot. The only thing that
>> works is restoring the partition from a Drive Image.
>>
>> By not booting, what I mean is that:
>> 1) the machine gets to the part where it checks the CD and floppy for
>> boot stuff, and then just sits there blinking. No message, no nothing.
>> 2) If I try to boot from my Win2000 boot floppy, it tells me it can't
>> find ntoskrnl.exe.
>> 3) Using a bootmagic rescue disk will see the partition, and I can
>> tell it to make it bootable, but upon rebooting it just does #1 above.

The basic problem is that it moved ntoskrnl.exe somewhere where the boot
loader can't find it. Sounds like it moved the boot loader somewhere where
the system can't find it as well.

>> I can understand sorta why resizing my boot partition might be
>> related, since it is the boot partition. But even resizing a data
>> partition, which I would think would have nothing to do with the boot
>> partition, even that results in my system not booting afterwards. I am
>> not using bootmagic, and do not have a drive overlay of any type.
>> Anyone understand what is going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Irwin
>
> (detected crossposting -- suggest single group post next time!)

Why? Crossposting exists for exactly this purpose. He's got a win2k setup
problem related to the disk system--seems to me that he crossposted to the
two places most likely to get him the help he wants. If Norton or Symantec
or Powerquest had newsgroups those would also be appropriate crossposts.

Crossposting was created to avoid duplication of effort by letting everyone
see if a response has already been posted and to promote
cross-fertilization of ideas by encouraging contributions by people from
different interest groups on topics relevant to several groups. It is
abused by trolls who crosspost to groups whose members he knows will argue
with each other but that does not mean that it should not be used when the
post is on topic for all groups.

> Greetings Irwin,
>
> It has been my experience that no matter what version of "Partition
> Magic" that people I talk to and read reports from keep saying Partition
> Magic couldn't do this or that.

Partition magic started to go to Hell the day they quit using the OS/2 boot
manager. I'm inclined to agree with your assessment.

> I don't think Partition Magic works as well as they advertized. I've
> resized one partition using a freeware utility (presizer.exe - a
> dos-based application to do same) that even remarks the blocks and
> stuff. I use Symantec/Norton Ghost for my imaging needs.

As opposed to Symantec Norton Partition Magic 8? Before you flame, check
the Symantec site.

> I don't mean to be bad news, but you may just need to loose Partition
> Magic. I've never heard anything good about their product.

Probably a good idea.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> > (detected crossposting -- suggest single group post next time!)
>
> Why? Crossposting exists for exactly this purpose. He's got a win2k setup
> problem related to the disk system--seems to me that he crossposted to the
> two places most likely to get him the help he wants. If Norton or Symantec
> or Powerquest had newsgroups those would also be appropriate crossposts.

I agree: the information he was looking for might well have come from
either group and (as importantly) his message might have been of
interest to others frequenting either group.

He only posted to two groups (not the massive cross posting that -
perhaps understandably - gets peoples' dander up) and he cross posted
correctly ... i.e. a single meesage posted to both groups, not
separate messages for each group. Any self-respecting news reader will
recognise that and, having read it in one group, will automatically
mark it as read in the other. So it shouldn't be a problem.