Lost Product Key on Win2000 software

What do I do? I can't find the product key, any thoughts?
1 answer Last reply
More about lost product win2000 software

    Jim wrote:
    > What do I do? I can't find the product key, any thoughts?

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: