Mimo or larger Antenna?

bucknasty

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
if I understand MIMO correctly it will give better penetration of 11g in a structure due to its multi antennas.

But do I need to have MIMO card to get this better signal? I don't care about the speed, just need the increased distance MIMO will give. It was my understanding that increased distance was a big selling point of a mimo based router over a standard 11g non-mimo router.

I realize that you need a mimo based nic to get the speed increase with mino.

Just looking for the most simple solution to get coverage for a home setup. speed is not the concern, coverage is. if I can get 11b speeds, and it has great coverage, mission accomplished.

I know that I can always get a linksys wrt54gL with hyperWrt and some 3rd party antennas, but we are talking about 20 feet of more needed coverage, not 20 yards. existing router is an old Dlink 524.

Thoughts?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
MIMO does not penatrate walls any better than a std 11g. It uses dual antenna so it runs in Full Duplex instead of 1/2 duplex.

20 ft is not very far, Which makes me wonder what are you shooting through. If you are trying to shoot through metal (ref , furnace) or floors, these can be challenging. If you only have the short 2dbi antenna, moving to high gains 5+ dbi will greatly improve the performance. But any good AP should be able to cover most house with out any problem. Remember combo units are cheaper for a reason. They short you on antennas, cpu & ram. Standalone AP are most always better.

bucknasty

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
thanks, for the info. will go with a linky GL with hyperwrt and put signal strength up around 50% Will also tell them to get the linky extender antenna's.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I have a USR5450 AP 11g, can cover my whole house on low power. It's has dual 5+dbi antennas. Will penetrate 4 walls, 50' with no problems on low power.