Windows 2000 Setup problems

I recently purchased Windows 2000 Professional. I have
tried numerous times to get the OS to install, but I never
get it 100% done.

I was upgrading from 98SE. Since I was having problems
with that, I removed the Windows folder. Successive
attempts to install 2000 have not been successful. I
constantly get errors of not being able to copy this file
or that, though it is never the same set of files on any
two attempts. And, when the setup actually DOES copy all
the files, the setup will, at some point, just stop.

I have since backed up the files I need to keep and
completely reformatted that partition I want to install
2000 to. Yet, I stil have no success.

Can someone help me? I'm seriously starting to go crazy
wondering what's wrong.

Thanks,

Harold
2 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 setup problems

    Hello!
    Is your 'mother bord' compatible with win 2000?
    If not stick with win98; otherwise fedora linux (well, in
    case you know how to install it). You can install win98
    on one partition and linux on the other - if you are
    tired of windows.
    Best Wishes

    Harold Minton wrote:
    > I recently purchased Windows 2000 Professional. I have
    > tried numerous times to get the OS to install, but I never
    > get it 100% done.
    >
    > I was upgrading from 98SE. Since I was having problems
    > with that, I removed the Windows folder. Successive
    > attempts to install 2000 have not been successful. I
    > constantly get errors of not being able to copy this file
    > or that, though it is never the same set of files on any
    > two attempts. And, when the setup actually DOES copy all
    > the files, the setup will, at some point, just stop.
    >
    > I have since backed up the files I need to keep and
    > completely reformatted that partition I want to install
    > 2000 to. Yet, I stil have no success.
    >
    > Can someone help me? I'm seriously starting to go crazy
    > wondering what's wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Harold

    Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
    most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
    likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On much
    less frequent occasions, a bad CD or defective CD drive can also cause
    this.

    Before proceeding, though, you'd better take a few minutes to
    ensure that there are Win2K device drivers available for your PC's
    specific components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically
    designed for Win98. Have you made sure the PC is capable of
    supporting Win2K? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility
    List (http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp). Also bear in mind
    that computers designed for, and sold with, Win98 very often fail to
    meet Win2K's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm