sapphire x1950xt reboots after about 30 min. in FEAR

vinman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Could it be the psu? coolmax v-500. The specs are e6600 not oc'd, 2 hdds, 1 dvdrw, 2 gigs xms2 800, p5ne-sli, nothing major, 7.2 catalyst drivers. network performance isn't great either. any ideas?

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Right click on MY COMPUTER, go to the advanced tab, click settings under startup and recovery, uncheck automatic restart. Then it will give you a blue screen that will tell you what the problem is, instead of restarting.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Could it be the psu? coolmax v-500. The specs are e6600 not oc'd, 2 hdds, 1 dvdrw, 2 gigs xms2 800, p5ne-sli, nothing major, 7.2 catalyst drivers. network performance isn't great either. any ideas?

it is very possible it is the psu.

edit; it (probably) is the psu.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
that is possible too.

we need the ampre rating on his psu to know for sure.
then again it could have enough and it still be something else
like heat or whatever.

casewhite

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
You don't say whether it is the 256 or 512mb version . In Folding @ Home there is a recurring problem with Early Unit Ends on the 256mb version of ATI with the R580 core, it doesn't apply to the R570. It seems to be tied to the fact that the memory isn't large enough for the application. I don't generally play the current generation of games in Windows so I don't know which version of what games are problems. Also XP Pro hogs more video memory than XP Home leaving less for your game. Just another possiblity.

"The R580 makes a huge difference in performance -- its 48 pixel shaders are key, as we use pixel shaders for our computations. Also note that the card should have more than 256MB (i.e. at least 512MB) of RAM, otherwise the GPU client will put a huge load on the client machine (although we do note that the 256MB X1950Pro using PCIe does work reasonably well)." http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

element54

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006

my guess too. Do you get any artifacts like lines or color changes in the video after playing the game for a while? Open the ATI Overdrive tab on CCC and check the temperature after playing FEAR for about 20 mins.

mikilys

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
PSU is good. Antec makes very good products.
I suggest to check temperatur od GPU. Maby it overheats...?

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I haven't had a problem with my card, but then again, I haven't played fear, the most graphically demanding game I have is Oblivion. My Sapphire x 1950 xt has 256mb graphics ram. But I'm running xp home and a 600w power supply. I haven't had any heating issues and the only time my build has shut down in a game like that is when I over clocked the CPU and didn't up the voltage in the right places. Make sure the card has breathing room and that the port for the fan isn't blocked, and check the heat of the GPU in the game.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

I will definitely check the heat of the video card. I have the X1950 Pro and with the 7.1 drivers, the fan wasn't spinning fast enough. It was stuck at something stupid like 20% until the card hit over 70C and by that time, it was ready to restart itself.

Atitool allows you to manually set the fan speed. Fixed the same restart problem for me as you seem to be having.

sailer

Splendid
I sent him an e-mail, just waiting for a reply. plus, I thought it might be the card too.

Just a thought. I've read or some problems associated with the latest drivers, so you might want to try an earlier driver. Another problem that I had with my X1900XTX was with the Catalyst Control Center. Sometimes the VPU Recover causes problems. You could try uninstalling the CCC and find out if that solves the problem. AtiTool, as rmicro mentioned, has some advantages over CCC, so you might try give it a try and see if it helps.