Latest Update on my wireless woes.

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hi all who posted help. Here's what happened further to my posts below:
I finally decided that the router must not be transmitting so I went and exchanged it and it worked perfect with my notebook. On to my desktop which is in the basement (my router and cable modem are on the main floor)... The Pci card still wouldn't work. I could get it to connect using an ad hoc P2P connection but I couldn't connect to the internet.
I went back to the store and they had a USB "B" network adapter which I can put on top of the case...plugged it in and it works fine. It must have been poor reception because of the location of the card down behind the pc or I had a bad card??
Leads me to a couple of questions:
Can I get a USB "G" standard adapter because if not I can live with this. The internet connection is just as fast as my computer which is connected directly to the internet(1736 Kbps down & 274 Up)
Seeing the rest of my components are G standard am I compromising a lot by leaving this B adapter?
What do you guys think?
Thx
Gary

riser

Illustrious
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=268
USB "G" adapter I believe you're looking for. This is just the first one I came across. Do a google search for USB 801.11G adapter, should find that helpful.

Your system should be fine as long as you're using appropriate security measures (WEP, disable SSID broadcasting, and/or using Keys to access your wireless router).

Riser