A couple of questions

If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over again or
am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?

daramark ---> looking for gifts already.

daramark wrote:
> If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over again or
> am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?
>
> daramark ---> looking for gifts already.

Have you never played a GC game before?

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
> daramark wrote:
> > If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over
again or
> > am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?
> >
> > daramark ---> looking for gifts already.
> >

> Have you never played a GC game before?

Nope. I'm poor right now, so I cannot afford all the 'time wasters' that I
want. <sigh>

Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any advice
about memory cards?

daramark wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
>
>>daramark wrote:
>>
>>>If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over
>
> again or
>
>>>am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?
>>>
>>>daramark ---> looking for gifts already.
>>>

>>Have you never played a GC game before?
>

> Nope. I'm poor right now, so I cannot afford all the 'time wasters' that I
> want. <sigh>
>
> Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any advice
> about memory cards?

I see. And just so you know, I was asking seriously and not being
sarcastic. Anyway, as others said, the disc doesn't save info, it's the
memory card that does. So make sure you buy a memory card. Always buy
Nintendo brand, they are much more reliable. I've heard too many horror
stories about other brands failing. Nintendo has three: 59, 251, and
1019 blocks. I'd just go ahead and get the biggest one, in case you want
to buy other GC games later. If money is a real issue, get the 251, but
the 59 is just too small unless you never plan to play another game again.

daramark wrote:

> If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over again or
> am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?
>
> daramark ---> looking for gifts already.

Gee. Did you buy the memory card as well?

Seriously, the disk only holds the game. You need a memory card to save to.
And you can start new games.

"daramark" <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over again
> or
> am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?

To have the old game you'd also need the memory card. Even then, you can
still start all over again either by deleting the data or using a new memory
card.

--
Steffan

daramark wrote:
> Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any advice
> about memory cards?

The original (59 block?) served me well enough from when the GC was
first available in the US up until a few months ago - and I don't
think they sell any that small any more. The ones being sold now
are 251 and 1019 block, for ~$20 and ~$30 respectively. There are a
very few games that don't quite work right with the 1019 card (not
having anticipated that much memory) - see
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp
though the only games on that list I'd play have far from fatal errors.
(E.g., one of them can only properly display the number of free blocks
if you've used at least 20 blocks - so there's 999 or fewer blocks left
- and it can only handle 99 save files.)

If $10 would be significant, then the 251 will probably be more than
enough until the GC is obsolete (since the chances you'll be playing
that many games are slim). I use a 1019 myself, with a 59 as a
"working" card that I can afford to take to friends' houses or
conventions and possibly lose without having to, e.g., re-unlock
SSBM.

"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> daramark wrote:
> > Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any
advice
> > about memory cards?
>
> The original (59 block?) served me well enough from when the GC was
> first available in the US up until a few months ago - and I don't
> think they sell any that small any more. The ones being sold now
> are 251 and 1019 block, for ~$20 and ~$30 respectively. There are a
> very few games that don't quite work right with the 1019 card (not
> having anticipated that much memory) - see
> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp
> though the only games on that list I'd play have far from fatal errors.
> (E.g., one of them can only properly display the number of free blocks
> if you've used at least 20 blocks - so there's 999 or fewer blocks left
> - and it can only handle 99 save files.)
>
> If $10 would be significant, then the 251 will probably be more than
> enough until the GC is obsolete (since the chances you'll be playing
> that many games are slim). I use a 1019 myself, with a 59 as a
> "working" card that I can afford to take to friends' houses or
> conventions and possibly lose without having to, e.g., re-unlock
> SSBM.

Ok, and thanks again! I don't really want to ask, but what's SSBM?
Basically if it's not Pokemon, I only vaguely have heard of it.

daramark

daramark wrote:
> "Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>daramark wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any
>
> advice
>
>>>about memory cards?
>>
>>The original (59 block?) served me well enough from when the GC was
>>first available in the US up until a few months ago - and I don't
>>think they sell any that small any more. The ones being sold now
>>are 251 and 1019 block, for ~$20 and ~$30 respectively. There are a
>>very few games that don't quite work right with the 1019 card (not
>>having anticipated that much memory) - see
>>http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp
>>though the only games on that list I'd play have far from fatal errors.
>>(E.g., one of them can only properly display the number of free blocks
>>if you've used at least 20 blocks - so there's 999 or fewer blocks left
>>- and it can only handle 99 save files.)
>>
>>If $10 would be significant, then the 251 will probably be more than
>>enough until the GC is obsolete (since the chances you'll be playing
>>that many games are slim). I use a 1019 myself, with a 59 as a
>>"working" card that I can afford to take to friends' houses or
>>conventions and possibly lose without having to, e.g., re-unlock
>>SSBM.
>

> Ok, and thanks again! I don't really want to ask, but what's SSBM?
> Basically if it's not Pokemon, I only vaguely have heard of it.
>
> daramark

Super Smash Brothers Melee, the fighting game with Mario characters,
among others.

> daramark wrote:
> > "Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> > advice

> >>The original (59 block?) served me well enough from when the GC was
> >>first available in the US up until a few months ago - and I don't
> >>think they sell any that small any more. The ones being sold now
> >>are 251 and 1019 block, for ~$20 and ~$30 respectively. There are a
> >>very few games that don't quite work right with the 1019 card (not
> >>having anticipated that much memory) - see
> >>http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp
> >>though the only games on that list I'd play have far from fatal errors.
> >>(E.g., one of them can only properly display the number of free blocks
> >>if you've used at least 20 blocks - so there's 999 or fewer blocks left
> >>- and it can only handle 99 save files.)
> >>
> >>If $10 would be significant, then the 251 will probably be more than
> >>enough until the GC is obsolete (since the chances you'll be playing
> >>that many games are slim). I use a 1019 myself, with a 59 as a
> >>"working" card that I can afford to take to friends' houses or
> >>conventions and possibly lose without having to, e.g., re-unlock
> >>SSBM.
> >

> > Ok, and thanks again! I don't really want to ask, but what's SSBM?
> > Basically if it's not Pokemon, I only vaguely have heard of it.
> >
> > daramark
> >

> Super Smash Brothers Melee, the fighting game with Mario characters,
> among others.

Ahh, yes everyone in Nintendo land in one game.

daramark

daramark wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
>
>>daramark wrote:
>>
>>>"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>>advice

>>>Ok, and thanks again! I don't really want to ask, but what's SSBM?
>>>Basically if it's not Pokemon, I only vaguely have heard of it.
>>>
>>>daramark
>>>

>>Super Smash Brothers Melee, the fighting game with Mario characters,
>>among others.
>

> Ahh, yes everyone in Nintendo land in one game.
>
> daramark

Yep, but I still never played it. I think it's oriented much more for
multiplayer, but I suppose I'd pick it up if the price were to drop to,
say, $9.99. :)

daramark wrote:
> Ok, and thanks again! I don't really want to ask, but what's SSBM?
> Basically if it's not Pokemon, I only vaguely have heard of it.

Super Smash Brothers Melee. A fighting game with most of Nintendo's
more famous characters, including four pokemon. Quite a few people have
gotten inordinate amounts of pleasure from beating up armies of
dumbest-level-AI-controlled pikachu drones.

It was worth the 49.99 I paid when it came out, and it's more than
worth the 19.99 it currently retails for. There are more than enough
extras and unlockables to keep the single player mode going strong.
Also, Pichu rocks you all.

Once upon a time daramark decided to write:

> If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over
> again or am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?

It depends. The disc has nothing to do with the game position. It's all on
the memory card, so unless you're getting their memory card, you can choose
to use that game or delete the data.

Once upon a time daramark decided to write:

> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
>> daramark wrote:
>>> If I bought a second hand copy of Colluseum can I start it all over
>>> again or am I stuck with whatever the person before me did?
>>>
>>> daramark ---> looking for gifts already.
>>>

>> Have you never played a GC game before?
>
> Nope. I'm poor right now, so I cannot afford all the 'time wasters'
> that I want. <sigh>
>
> Thanks all! So I would need to buy a memory card and the game, any
> advice about memory cards?

The memory card comes free with the game. At least it did here in Australia.
The reason is because the game's save data basically uses up the whole
memory card.