Dual boot problem, no Win2000 option

Hi,

I have a dual boot system configured as follows:

1) Two hard disks
2) The first hard disk is the boot disk, is drive c:, is
40 GB, has a single FAT32 partition, and is loaded with
Win ME.
3) The second hard disk is drive d:, is 60 GB, has a
single NTFS partition, and is loaded with Win 2000.

Everything worked fine intil drive c: failed. I used this
event to create a new drive d: by mirroring the existing
drive d: to a new larger, 120GB drive. I used the drive c:
of an identically configured second computer to mirror a
new drive c:. This second computer is identical in both
hardware and software. In fact, is was originally loaded
by mirroring the drives of the first (failed) computer
system.

The BIOS is correctly identifying the two new hard disks.
On startup of the system, I am able to boot into Win ME,
but it doen't provide the normal option to boot into
either Win ME or Win 2000, so I am not able to get into
Win 2000 anymore.

My c:\boot.ini file is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft
Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows

How can I restore the dual boot capability?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Don

"Don Abel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot system configured as follows:
>
> 1) Two hard disks
> 2) The first hard disk is the boot disk, is drive c:, is
> 40 GB, has a single FAT32 partition, and is loaded with
> Win ME.
> 3) The second hard disk is drive d:, is 60 GB, has a
> single NTFS partition, and is loaded with Win 2000.
>
> Everything worked fine intil drive c: failed. I used this
> event to create a new drive d: by mirroring the existing
> drive d: to a new larger, 120GB drive. I used the drive c:
> of an identically configured second computer to mirror a
> new drive c:. This second computer is identical in both
> hardware and software. In fact, is was originally loaded
> by mirroring the drives of the first (failed) computer
> system.
>
> The BIOS is correctly identifying the two new hard disks.
> On startup of the system, I am able to boot into Win ME,
> but it doen't provide the normal option to boot into
> either Win ME or Win 2000, so I am not able to get into
> Win 2000 anymore.
>
> My c:\boot.ini file is as follows:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=15
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft
> Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
> C:\="Microsoft Windows
>

> How can I restore the dual boot capability?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Best regards,
> Don

- Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
- Make sure that the hidden files c:\ntldr and c:\ntdetect.com exist.
- Run this command:
bootpart winnt boot:c:
You can get bootpart.exe from here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm