Continued shutdown, move iniciated by NT Authority System

I recently installed Win2000 in my computer, and I was in
the process of reinstalling utilities in advance of
installing programs.
The first irrecularity happen after installing Norton
Antivirus, when I was notified by Norton of having the
virus 'W32.spybot.Worm' encountered in the object named and
locatated in <c:\WINNT\system32\TFTP1344> which was deleted
by Norton.
This happened twice, the second time it refered to TFTP1392.

After that, when I tried running a full scan, my system
started shutting down on its own. It has happen several
times, to the point that I can not keep installing.
The following is the complete messaje I am getting:

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work in
process and log off. Any unsaved changes will b lost. This
shutdown was initiate by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM.
Message: The system process 'c:\WINNT\system32\Isass.exe'
terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system
will now shutdown and restart"

Then it gives me one minute to close. When it restarts it
repeats itself.... What is going on?

Are the files deleted by Norton responsible for this? And
if so, is there a way of fixing this problem?

The message appered iniciaty when I started to conduct a
full scan, but after disconnecting from the web and after
successfully conducting a full scan, the message appeared
again when I was trying to install other utilities, and
thereafter, just appeared anyway!! :-(

Can somebody help??? I will truly apprecite it! Thanks in
advance.

Rocio
13 answers Last reply
More about continued shutdown move iniciated authority system

    For any new install it is imperative that you install these before
    connecting to any network or you'll be almost immediately infected.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-025.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-012.mspx

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "rocio" wrote:
    |I recently installed Win2000 in my computer, and I was in
    | the process of reinstalling utilities in advance of
    | installing programs.
    | The first irrecularity happen after installing Norton
    | Antivirus, when I was notified by Norton of having the
    | virus 'W32.spybot.Worm' encountered in the object named and
    | locatated in <c:\WINNT\system32\TFTP1344> which was deleted
    | by Norton.
    | This happened twice, the second time it refered to TFTP1392.
    |
    | After that, when I tried running a full scan, my system
    | started shutting down on its own. It has happen several
    | times, to the point that I can not keep installing.
    | The following is the complete messaje I am getting:
    |
    | "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in
    | process and log off. Any unsaved changes will b lost. This
    | shutdown was initiate by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM.
    | Message: The system process 'c:\WINNT\system32\Isass.exe'
    | terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system
    | will now shutdown and restart"
    |
    | Then it gives me one minute to close. When it restarts it
    | repeats itself.... What is going on?
    |
    | Are the files deleted by Norton responsible for this? And
    | if so, is there a way of fixing this problem?
    |
    | The message appered iniciaty when I started to conduct a
    | full scan, but after disconnecting from the web and after
    | successfully conducting a full scan, the message appeared
    | again when I was trying to install other utilities, and
    | thereafter, just appeared anyway!! :-(
    |
    | Can somebody help??? I will truly apprecite it! Thanks in
    | advance.
    |
    | Rocio

    Thanks Dave, for responding.

    And while I save the downloads to a disk and read the
    information, I have a couple of questions to ask you.

    Related to the virus:
    - Do you think that the problem is that a virus still in my
    computer? Even after running a full scan and finding
    nothing?...

    - The files that were deleted by Norton (TFTP1344 and
    TFTP1392)... do they need to be replaced in the system?
    Norton has kept these files as a 'backup' [having deleted
    the infected ones -I think]. And if that is the case, can
    I reinstall those files from my 'backup' ERD disk?

    Related to the patches:
    - Installing these patches in the system should solve the
    problem? Or would I need to reinstall from ERD date data
    and then run the patches before re-installing again
    utilities and Norten antivirus. At this time I have not
    data or major programs installed.

    - Also, is there a special method for installing patches?
    or it is kind of 'wizard' follow-me-through kind of install?

    Sorry if I sound so novice... I guess I'am. :-)
    Thanks for your help.

    Rocio

    "rocio" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave, for responding.
    |
    | And while I save the downloads to a disk and read the
    | information, I have a couple of questions to ask you.
    |
    | Related to the virus:
    | - Do you think that the problem is that a virus still in my
    | computer? Even after running a full scan and finding
    | nothing?...
    * Yes msblast and or sasser or variants.

    | - The files that were deleted by Norton (TFTP1344 and
    | TFTP1392)... do they need to be replaced in the system?
    * Most likely just part of the virus.

    | Norton has kept these files as a 'backup' [having deleted
    | the infected ones -I think]. And if that is the case, can
    | I reinstall those files from my 'backup' ERD disk?
    |
    | Related to the patches:
    | - Installing these patches in the system should solve the
    | problem? Or would I need to reinstall from ERD date data
    | and then run the patches before re-installing again
    | utilities and Norten antivirus. At this time I have not
    | data or major programs installed.
    * These may help.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.d.html
    Windows 2000 Users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print2000.mspx
    But then I would just start a new install.

    | - Also, is there a special method for installing patches?
    | or it is kind of 'wizard' follow-me-through kind of install?
    * The articles spell it out pretty well.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Hello Dave, and thanks again.

    I have installed the patches and the installation, as you
    mentioned, went trouble-free! :)

    I have installed the patches, and the system seem to be
    running well, although I have not reconnected yet to the
    web.

    Now, I'm thinking in following your suggestion of
    reinstalling again. My next questions would be, would it
    be sufficient to re-install ONLY MS2000k to the partition
    I have reserved for the OS?, or do I have to do a 'Clean
    Install' and start from scratch deleting all the
    partitions I have created and the small programs/
    utilities I have already installed?

    I suppose that if I were to install only MS2000, I will
    reinstall the patches again after the reinstallation and
    in advance of connecting to the net and asking my
    AntiVirus to get an updated of virus defintions... Would
    that be the sequence?

    Is there anything else I must do to prevent being
    infected before my antivirus protection is fully in place?

    Thanks for your continued help!
    Rocio

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >.

    If it were I, then I would start a new install, then before connecting to
    any network install the latest service pack, then the patches I listed.

    --

    "rocio" wrote:
    | Hello Dave, and thanks again.
    |
    | I have installed the patches and the installation, as you
    | mentioned, went trouble-free! :)
    |
    | I have installed the patches, and the system seem to be
    | running well, although I have not reconnected yet to the
    | web.
    |
    | Now, I'm thinking in following your suggestion of
    | reinstalling again. My next questions would be, would it
    | be sufficient to re-install ONLY MS2000k to the partition
    | I have reserved for the OS?, or do I have to do a 'Clean
    | Install' and start from scratch deleting all the
    | partitions I have created and the small programs/
    | utilities I have already installed?
    |
    | I suppose that if I were to install only MS2000, I will
    | reinstall the patches again after the reinstallation and
    | in advance of connecting to the net and asking my
    | AntiVirus to get an updated of virus defintions... Would
    | that be the sequence?
    |
    | Is there anything else I must do to prevent being
    | infected before my antivirus protection is fully in place?
    |
    | Thanks for your continued help!
    | Rocio
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave, thanks for your response. However, I still a bit
    confused about what a 'clean install' entitles.

    If I depart from the learned knowledge that the advantage
    of having a system partitioned, and having the OS in one
    of those partitions is that in case of something bad
    happening (like in this case), you can re-install the OS
    in the partitioned space. Then, from this perspective,
    a 'clean install' would be to install the OS in that
    partition, leaving other existing partitions as they are.

    Or, are you saying, with your recomendation that I should
    reintall to a clean hardrive? And redu the partitions
    before installing software and so.

    At this time, I have already the SP4 and the patches in a
    CD, and I will follow your recommendation to install them
    before connecting to the net next time.

    I also got and followed the instructions of Northern/
    Symantec to remove the '32.spybot.worm' from my system,
    but it didn't find any traces of it in the registry or in
    Start up.

    So at this point I think I need to reinstall, however, I
    might be better of if I wait for clarification from you
    on what process to follow regarding the 'clean install'.
    Thanks again.

    Rocio

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"rocio" wrote:
    >| Hello Dave, and thanks again.
    >|
    >| I have installed the patches and the installation, as
    you
    >| mentioned, went trouble-free! :)
    >|
    >| I have installed the patches, and the system seem to be
    >| running well, although I have not reconnected yet to
    the
    >| web.
    >|
    >| Now, I'm thinking in following your suggestion of
    >| reinstalling again. My next questions would be, would
    it
    >| be sufficient to re-install ONLY MS2000k to the
    partition
    >| I have reserved for the OS?, or do I have to do
    a 'Clean
    >| Install' and start from scratch deleting all the
    >| partitions I have created and the small programs/
    >| utilities I have already installed?
    >|
    >| I suppose that if I were to install only MS2000, I will
    >| reinstall the patches again after the reinstallation
    and
    >| in advance of connecting to the net and asking my
    >| AntiVirus to get an updated of virus defintions...
    Would
    >| that be the sequence?
    >|
    >| Is there anything else I must do to prevent being
    >| infected before my antivirus protection is fully in
    place?

    >| Thanks for your continued help!
    >| Rocio
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    "rocio" wrote:
    | Dave, thanks for your response. However, I still a bit
    | confused about what a 'clean install' entitles.
    |
    | If I depart from the learned knowledge that the advantage
    | of having a system partitioned, and having the OS in one
    | of those partitions is that in case of something bad
    | happening (like in this case), you can re-install the OS
    | in the partitioned space. Then, from this perspective,
    | a 'clean install' would be to install the OS in that
    | partition, leaving other existing partitions as they are.
    |
    | Or, are you saying, with your recomendation that I should
    | reintall to a clean hardrive? And redu the partitions
    | before installing software and so.
    |
    | At this time, I have already the SP4 and the patches in a
    | CD, and I will follow your recommendation to install them
    | before connecting to the net next time.
    |
    | I also got and followed the instructions of Northern/
    | Symantec to remove the '32.spybot.worm' from my system,
    | but it didn't find any traces of it in the registry or in
    | Start up.
    |
    | So at this point I think I need to reinstall, however, I
    | might be better of if I wait for clarification from you
    | on what process to follow regarding the 'clean install'.
    | Thanks again.
    |
    | Rocio
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks again Dave for your replay, and I hope this will
    be the last one of a long steam that seems to have
    changed subject on the way.

    I just want to recap my understanding before proceeding,
    just to make sure I won't mess it up.

    As a bacground info, let me tell you the existing
    structure of the partitions I have now on a 120GB
    hardrive (they are all NTFS file systems):

    C = OS 15GB where I have installed MS2000Pro
    (inside the 'C' folder, I have MOUNTED a primary
    partition containing my Progrmas, in a folder called
    other than 'Program Files' so it sits mounted on 'C'
    without a drive letter assignment)

    D = DVD drive
    E = CD drive

    The following are part of an extended partition, and
    setup as a logical drives
    F = Data
    G = Images
    H = To Backup
    I = downloads

    There is also some unpartitioned space.

    So, as you mention, the reasigning of letters will be an
    undesirable outcome.

    If I understand what you are saying, with the Program CD,
    I run it to make an install, then when I get to the point
    of WHERE to install it (WHERE IT SHOWS THE DIFFERENT
    PARTITIONS, choose DRIVE C, I suppose at that point it
    will ask me if I want to delete everything in it, and I
    say YES, then just after that I abort the install (I
    guess by using 'escape' if there is not other visible
    option to abort).

    Then, when I re-start again with the CD to install and I
    do the installation to the C drive, right?

    What is the difference of doing the 'abort' move, to just
    ask to do the installation to the C drive and continue
    the install? I suppose it would be that the MOUNTED
    PARTITION will take a drive letter assignment changing
    all others?

    Or is that also a possibility doing the 'abort' move?

    Waiting for your comments, I thank you again for your
    assistance and patience.

    Rocio

    BTY, I ran the removing tool for the Sasser worm, and the
    system didn't identify anything, but even after I
    installed all patches, and service pack4, I continue to
    receive notices from my AV about deletions of new
    incoming 'W32.Spybot.worm' infected files. (I also ran
    follow the instructions to remove the 'spybot worm' with
    nothing being identified). Go figure! I'm now reading
    how to install a firewall...

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to
    avoid unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"rocio" wrote:
    >| Dave, thanks for your response. However, I still a bit
    >| confused about what a 'clean install' entitles.
    >|
    >| If I depart from the learned knowledge that the
    advantage
    >| of having a system partitioned, and having the OS in
    one
    >| of those partitions is that in case of something bad
    >| happening (like in this case), you can re-install the
    OS
    >| in the partitioned space. Then, from this perspective,
    >| a 'clean install' would be to install the OS in that
    >| partition, leaving other existing partitions as they
    are.

    >| Or, are you saying, with your recomendation that I
    should
    >| reintall to a clean hardrive? And redu the partitions
    >| before installing software and so.
    >|
    >| At this time, I have already the SP4 and the patches
    in a
    >| CD, and I will follow your recommendation to install
    them
    >| before connecting to the net next time.
    >|
    >| I also got and followed the instructions of Northern/
    >| Symantec to remove the '32.spybot.worm' from my system,
    >| but it didn't find any traces of it in the registry or
    in
    >| Start up.
    >|
    >| So at this point I think I need to reinstall, however,
    >| might be better of if I wait for clarification from you
    >| on what process to follow regarding the 'clean
    install'.
    >| Thanks again.
    >|
    >| Rocio
    >

    >.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Ok in this case forget the above.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    When you get to the point, format the existing system partition (C:\) and
    continue the install.

    --

    "rocio" wrote:
    | Thanks again Dave for your replay, and I hope this will
    | be the last one of a long steam that seems to have
    | changed subject on the way.
    |
    | I just want to recap my understanding before proceeding,
    | just to make sure I won't mess it up.
    |
    | As a bacground info, let me tell you the existing
    | structure of the partitions I have now on a 120GB
    | hardrive (they are all NTFS file systems):
    |
    | C = OS 15GB where I have installed MS2000Pro
    | (inside the 'C' folder, I have MOUNTED a primary
    | partition containing my Progrmas, in a folder called
    | other than 'Program Files' so it sits mounted on 'C'
    | without a drive letter assignment)
    |
    | D = DVD drive
    | E = CD drive
    |
    | The following are part of an extended partition, and
    | setup as a logical drives
    | F = Data
    | G = Images
    | H = To Backup
    | I = downloads
    |
    | There is also some unpartitioned space.
    |
    | So, as you mention, the reasigning of letters will be an
    | undesirable outcome.
    |
    | If I understand what you are saying, with the Program CD,
    | I run it to make an install, then when I get to the point
    | of WHERE to install it (WHERE IT SHOWS THE DIFFERENT
    | PARTITIONS, choose DRIVE C, I suppose at that point it
    | will ask me if I want to delete everything in it, and I
    | say YES, then just after that I abort the install (I
    | guess by using 'escape' if there is not other visible
    | option to abort).
    |
    | Then, when I re-start again with the CD to install and I
    | do the installation to the C drive, right?
    |
    | What is the difference of doing the 'abort' move, to just
    | ask to do the installation to the C drive and continue
    | the install? I suppose it would be that the MOUNTED
    | PARTITION will take a drive letter assignment changing
    | all others?
    |
    | Or is that also a possibility doing the 'abort' move?
    |
    | Waiting for your comments, I thank you again for your
    | assistance and patience.
    |
    | Rocio
    |
    | BTY, I ran the removing tool for the Sasser worm, and the
    | system didn't identify anything, but even after I
    | installed all patches, and service pack4, I continue to
    | receive notices from my AV about deletions of new
    | incoming 'W32.Spybot.worm' infected files. (I also ran
    | follow the instructions to remove the 'spybot worm' with
    | nothing being identified). Go figure! I'm now reading
    | how to install a firewall...
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Ok, Dave... that seems easier to do! Fiuuu!!!

    I will do that in the next day or so, and reinstall all of
    the patches, service pack and updates, and then I will
    just let a note with the ending results to close the long
    query with some type of outcome for future readers.

    Thanks again for all your help! :)
    Rocio

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"rocio" wrote:
    >| Thanks again Dave for your replay, and I hope this will
    >| be the last one of a long steam that seems to have
    >| changed subject on the way.
    >|
    >| I just want to recap my understanding before proceeding,
    >| just to make sure I won't mess it up.
    >|
    >| As a bacground info, let me tell you the existing
    >| structure of the partitions I have now on a 120GB
    >| hardrive (they are all NTFS file systems):
    >|
    >| C = OS 15GB where I have installed MS2000Pro
    >| (inside the 'C' folder, I have MOUNTED a primary
    >| partition containing my Progrmas, in a folder called
    >| other than 'Program Files' so it sits mounted on 'C'
    >| without a drive letter assignment)
    >|
    >| D = DVD drive
    >| E = CD drive
    >|
    >| The following are part of an extended partition, and
    >| setup as a logical drives
    >| F = Data
    >| G = Images
    >| H = To Backup
    >| I = downloads
    >|
    >| There is also some unpartitioned space.
    >|
    >| So, as you mention, the reasigning of letters will be an
    >| undesirable outcome.
    >|
    >| If I understand what you are saying, with the Program
    CD,
    >| I run it to make an install, then when I get to the
    point
    >| of WHERE to install it (WHERE IT SHOWS THE DIFFERENT
    >| PARTITIONS, choose DRIVE C, I suppose at that point it
    >| will ask me if I want to delete everything in it, and I
    >| say YES, then just after that I abort the install (I
    >| guess by using 'escape' if there is not other visible
    >| option to abort).
    >|
    >| Then, when I re-start again with the CD to install and I
    >| do the installation to the C drive, right?
    >|
    >| What is the difference of doing the 'abort' move, to
    just
    >| ask to do the installation to the C drive and continue
    >| the install? I suppose it would be that the MOUNTED
    >| PARTITION will take a drive letter assignment changing
    >| all others?
    >|
    >| Or is that also a possibility doing the 'abort' move?
    >|
    >| Waiting for your comments, I thank you again for your
    >| assistance and patience.
    >|
    >| Rocio
    >|
    >| BTY, I ran the removing tool for the Sasser worm, and
    the
    >| system didn't identify anything, but even after I
    >| installed all patches, and service pack4, I continue to
    >| receive notices from my AV about deletions of new
    >| incoming 'W32.Spybot.worm' infected files. (I also ran
    >| follow the instructions to remove the 'spybot worm' with
    >| nothing being identified). Go figure! I'm now reading
    >| how to install a firewall...
    >

    >.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Ok, good luck with it.

    --

    "rocio" wrote:
    | Ok, Dave... that seems easier to do! Fiuuu!!!
    |
    | I will do that in the next day or so, and reinstall all of
    | the patches, service pack and updates, and then I will
    | just let a note with the ending results to close the long
    | query with some type of outcome for future readers.
    |
    | Thanks again for all your help! :)
    | Rocio
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    What concluded.
    I decided to reinstall MS2k to a different partition and
    left the original install untoched in 'C'. This was in
    part because I could not 'repair' the install as I was
    trying to install a program version which contained
    Service Pk 3 on top of a program which had already
    upgraded to Service Pk4. Therefore a 'clean' new install
    needed to be done.

    I choose to do install a second version of the same OS, in
    a larger partition (thinking that it would hold also the
    system and boot option, which at the end did not).

    I was able to later, expand the size of my original OS to
    hold the space I had originally setup for programs on a
    mounted partition originally mounated on C.

    That has created some other problems... hanging around in
    other postings... in other words...those are a different
    story...

    Thanks to all for your help! :)

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"rocio" wrote:
    >| Ok, Dave... that seems easier to do! Fiuuu!!!
    >|
    >| I will do that in the next day or so, and reinstall all
    of
    >| the patches, service pack and updates, and then I will
    >| just let a note with the ending results to close the
    long
    >| query with some type of outcome for future readers.
    >|
    >| Thanks again for all your help! :)
    >| Rocio
    >

    >.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    What concluded.
    I decided to reinstall MS2k to a different partition and
    left the original install untoched in 'C'. This was in
    part because I could not 'repair' the install as I was
    trying to install a program version which contained
    Service Pk 3 on top of a program which had already
    upgraded to Service Pk4. Therefore a 'clean' new install
    needed to be done.

    I choose to do install a second version of the same OS, in
    a larger partition (thinking that it would hold also the
    system and boot option, which at the end did not).

    I was able to later, expand the size of my original OS to
    hold the space I had originally setup for programs on a
    mounted partition originally mounated on C.

    That has created some other problems... hanging around in
    other postings... in other words...those are a different
    story...

    Thanks to all for your help! :)

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"rocio" wrote:
    >| Ok, Dave... that seems easier to do! Fiuuu!!!
    >|
    >| I will do that in the next day or so, and reinstall all
    of
    >| the patches, service pack and updates, and then I will
    >| just let a note with the ending results to close the
    long
    >| query with some type of outcome for future readers.
    >|
    >| Thanks again for all your help! :)
    >| Rocio
    >

    >.

Windows