Sign in with
Your question

Pentium d 830 heat issues

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2007 3:28:41 PM

Hello

Recently I downloaded speedfan and it told me that my processor runs at 80 degrees celsius idle. I know that pentium ds get hot but isnt this extreme?
The computers behavior is strange lately as it will sometimes shut itself down while on load. Is this due to the heat?

Its an acer e500 with a rather unusual cooler. The case itself has a hole(or rather holes?) on the side so the cpu cooler can suck air. I also noticed that the fan at mounted on the case doesnt spin anymore. Should i just replace the fan mounted on the case or replace both fan and cooler? I dont have any knowledge in how to mount/dismount the cooler.

Sry for my english as it's not my first language.
March 3, 2007 10:13:55 PM

Quote:
Recently I downloaded speedfan and it told me that my processor runs at 80 degrees celsius idle. I know that pentium ds get hot but isnt this extreme?
The computers behavior is strange lately as it will sometimes shut itself down while on load. Is this due to the heat?
Yes, stop using your computer until you fix this.

Quote:
...Its an acer e500 with a rather unusual cooler. The case itself has a hole(or rather holes?) on the side so the cpu cooler can suck air.

This is common. The idea is to let in some cooler outside air for the CPU cooler to use, instead of just the air from the bottom of the case that has already been warmed up by components like the graphics card.

Quote:
...I also noticed that the fan at mounted on the case doesnt spin anymore. Should i just replace the fan mounted on the case ...

This is very bad and is probably the source of your overheating issue (I assume this fan is mounted on the back of the case and blows outward). Yes, just replace this fan. It is most likely a standard size for "case fans" such as 80mm, 92mm or 120mm. Make sure the replacement fan has the same type of electrical connector as the original fan.
March 4, 2007 12:34:26 AM

I have the same computer as you. Your temperatures are way too high. I get 47C as case temp and about 52 C as CPU temp. I live in Thailand and average temp is about 32 C! I wonder if you ever opened your case. The CPU heatsink+fan sucks cold air from the side panel by a funnel. The fan at the back of the computer is the PSU. It is the only case fan in your system. If it doesn't always turn, the problem is serious. I have added a 92 mm Zalman fan (controlled by Speedfan) under the PSU to improve air circulation.

Stef
!