Turned all my startup programs into Wordpad files. Help!

matt

Hi there,
I accidently clicked "Yes" on a popup that downloaded
several ad programs to my program files. I tried to delete
them all. One file wouldn't allow itself to be deleted.
There was a file in there called CSIE.DLL that prevented
the file from being deleted. I tried every trick to get
rid of it. I then opened it as a Wordpad file and saved it
as a Wordpad file. Now all my .exe files are in Wordpad.
When I boot up, all the start-up files open up as Wordpad
files, so I have no internet connection from home right
now. (I'm writing from work.)
Help! I need to do a fairly global reset of my .exe files
and startup files to go back to whatever they were before.
Not all the files that changed were .exe. Is there a way
to change them back even without knowing exactly what
format they used to open up under??

Thanks, Matt
San Diego, CA

dl

A virus, you presumably dont have installed an updated AV app?
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=BKDR_RULEDOR.E&VSect=T

"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I accidently clicked "Yes" on a popup that downloaded
> several ad programs to my program files. I tried to delete
> them all. One file wouldn't allow itself to be deleted.
> There was a file in there called CSIE.DLL that prevented
> the file from being deleted. I tried every trick to get
> rid of it. I then opened it as a Wordpad file and saved it
> as a Wordpad file. Now all my .exe files are in Wordpad.
> When I boot up, all the start-up files open up as Wordpad
> files, so I have no internet connection from home right
> now. (I'm writing from work.)
> Help! I need to do a fairly global reset of my .exe files
> and startup files to go back to whatever they were before.
> Not all the files that changed were .exe. Is there a way
> to change them back even without knowing exactly what
> format they used to open up under??
>
> Thanks, Matt
> San Diego, CA

matt

No, it wasn't a virus. On purpose, I turned one file into
a Wordpad file so I could delete it. Now a lot of my
startup files are Wordpad files. How can I globally turn
files back into what they used to be? And not all of them
are .exe files.
Thanks for the help, Matt