Turned all my startup programs into Wordpad files. Help!

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 7, 2004 6:26:54 PM

Hi there,
I accidently clicked "Yes" on a popup that downloaded
several ad programs to my program files. I tried to delete
them all. One file wouldn't allow itself to be deleted.
There was a file in there called CSIE.DLL that prevented
the file from being deleted. I tried every trick to get
rid of it. I then opened it as a Wordpad file and saved it
as a Wordpad file. Now all my .exe files are in Wordpad.
When I boot up, all the start-up files open up as Wordpad
files, so I have no internet connection from home right
now. (I'm writing from work.)
Help! I need to do a fairly global reset of my .exe files
and startup files to go back to whatever they were before.
Not all the files that changed were .exe. Is there a way
to change them back even without knowing exactly what
format they used to open up under??

Thanks, Matt
San Diego, CA
September 8, 2004 3:19:51 AM

A virus, you presumably dont have installed an updated AV app?
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.a...

"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I accidently clicked "Yes" on a popup that downloaded
> several ad programs to my program files. I tried to delete
> them all. One file wouldn't allow itself to be deleted.
> There was a file in there called CSIE.DLL that prevented
> the file from being deleted. I tried every trick to get
> rid of it. I then opened it as a Wordpad file and saved it
> as a Wordpad file. Now all my .exe files are in Wordpad.
> When I boot up, all the start-up files open up as Wordpad
> files, so I have no internet connection from home right
> now. (I'm writing from work.)
> Help! I need to do a fairly global reset of my .exe files
> and startup files to go back to whatever they were before.
> Not all the files that changed were .exe. Is there a way
> to change them back even without knowing exactly what
> format they used to open up under??
>
> Thanks, Matt
> San Diego, CA
September 8, 2004 3:19:52 AM

No, it wasn't a virus. On purpose, I turned one file into
a Wordpad file so I could delete it. Now a lot of my
startup files are Wordpad files. How can I globally turn
files back into what they used to be? And not all of them
are .exe files.
Thanks for the help, Matt

VName=BKDR_RULEDOR.E&VSect=T

>"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Hi there,
>> I accidently clicked "Yes" on a popup that downloaded
>> several ad programs to my program files. I tried to
delete
>> them all. One file wouldn't allow itself to be deleted.
>> There was a file in there called CSIE.DLL that prevented
>> the file from being deleted. I tried every trick to get
>> rid of it. I then opened it as a Wordpad file and saved
it
>> as a Wordpad file. Now all my .exe files are in Wordpad.
>> When I boot up, all the start-up files open up as
Wordpad
>> files, so I have no internet connection from home right
>> now. (I'm writing from work.)
>> Help! I need to do a fairly global reset of my .exe
files
>> and startup files to go back to whatever they were
before.
>> Not all the files that changed were .exe. Is there a way
>> to change them back even without knowing exactly what
>> format they used to open up under??
>>
>> Thanks, Matt
>> San Diego, CA
>

>.

Related resources
October 19, 2007 9:06:47 PM

I'm having the same problem with Windows Vista.
Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
John
Baton Rouge, LA.
January 29, 2012 6:22:00 AM

first go to http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file... (others pc)
second download default file type association or you can choose which one
in this case just click EXE icon and save file and copy to thumbdrive the icon is look like small green icon (registry)
put that thumbdrive and open that file from problem pc
right click at icon and click Merge. run and install.
restart your pc.
!