Sign in with
Your question

Should I replace my AMD-K6 3D PROCESSOR

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2007 3:55:44 PM

My pc is a bit slow and Ive been using mac for a while, so dont laugh if im in the stone ages. But my pc is slow and is always playing up.
I only really use it for burning/ backing up discs. But now having problems with that.
Should I upgrade my Ram from 256mb to 1 mb?

Many thanks!
:wink:

More about : replace amd processor

March 3, 2007 4:44:19 PM

Yes you should
March 3, 2007 4:45:52 PM

Can it even support that? And no that is to much for what u need. Go for like 512.
Related resources
March 3, 2007 4:59:55 PM

:D 
Im running Xp pro
My pc is Compaq and it has 2 slots which have 2 x 64mb ram and the pci 1z I dont reall need ( like the original graphics/sound card/ usb1 are housed all in 1 box type unit inside the pc, So I guess I just swap my 256 with a 512 card yeah? Is there any makes to avoid?

Reagarding my reinstall, I am having Big troubles just reinstalling the pc to its original state???
March 3, 2007 5:27:43 PM

As far as having problems with burning CDs, can you describe exactly the problem you are experiencing, and the burning software you are using? It could be anything from a software issue to a hardware malfunction (such as the CD burner going bad).

Can you tell us the exact model of your Compaq computer? The reason being, it may not support more than 256MB of ram (total). With the exact model we can determine if 2 256MB sticks of ram will work. I'm sure 1GB of ram is impossible on this old of a rig.

As for your old computer, I'm afraid that other than ram and perhaps a hard drive upgrade (what size hard drive do you have?), there isn't much else that can be done. I use my K6-2 for playing old games, office use, and dial up internet. For these things it works fine. Burning CDs on your computer, while I'm sure it works, would be a job much better served with some newer hardware. Do you know of anyone giving away an old computer? I have several friends with 800-1000MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon computers that are free for the taking. You may want to see what you can find in your local paper.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble reinstalling your software. This computer is far too old to have windows XP Pro installed from the factory, so I assume you or someone you know did it the first time around. Do you know anyone handy with computers that can help you with the reinstall?
March 3, 2007 5:32:50 PM

your sig is intresting heh

XP with 512mb ram norm smooth 256 any thing that loads after XP has loaded will start to swap between the hdd and ram alot (Norton no go for 256 unless your want an pc to go very slow)
March 3, 2007 6:26:17 PM

1gb won't be possible, for that im nearly 100% sure. 512 probably. aside gaming or running todays software like msn 8 with plus etc, that pc will do "fine" for what you're using it atm and webbrownsing as well (that if you're not going to watch youtube videos or anything that uses macromedia flash, cuz the cpu wont handle it no mather how much ram you'll add into it :D )
March 3, 2007 7:07:22 PM

Quote:
My pc is a bit slow and Ive been using mac for a while, so dont laugh if im in the stone ages. But my pc is slow and is always playing up.
I only really use it for burning/ backing up discs. But now having problems with that.
Should I upgrade my Ram from 256mb to 1 mb?

Many thanks!

Dudes like this always come and write this funny things :) 

I like it cuz they make me laugh a lil bit... :p  Its my new signature XD!

BTW, to answer your question and dont say that i came to make fun of you, first find out if your motherboard supports 1gb of ram, if it does, then yes upgrade.
March 3, 2007 7:11:46 PM

Thanks for the responce.

Let me just say my pc has been working fine up until recently and my philips dvd drive has started to creak and playback and burning has just got worse, so think its time for a new 1.
My Pc is a presario (beige) 7482
AMD k6-2 55omhz
35gb
256 mb ram
dvd/cd drive philps 824p
3dfx voodoo 5 (no new driver)
Ive been using Any dvd/ clone dvd and they worked fine also til recently and now just keeps saying error to clean disc surface etc.

Right now, I could do with just getting it booted up somehow with my system win 98se restore disc....
March 3, 2007 7:18:01 PM

Gettin 512mb would make your computer faster enough to do what you want, but 1gb is not that expensive now and can make your computer work really fast and give you a better perfomance with a small amount of $.

You can even get a 100Gb (or less) hard drive (which will outperform 3x or even 4x times your current one) for a cheap price too.

If you know how to do this, it would be great, you can get your system upgraded for around $100 maybe and that should make it last a little longer.

Dont spend more than the necessaru because as others would say, its not worth it. Upgrading RAM and HDD would make it prettyfaster than what it is now.
March 3, 2007 7:20:29 PM

Pc is 7 years old
Dvd drive is about 4 I think, but has had lots of use and has been great til now.
However by my experience until now, I feel that with a few upgrades I must be able to get this running smoothly again. However I am up 4 all the advise given. Just firstly want to know how to restore my pc?
March 3, 2007 7:24:47 PM

But if you're going to spend $ on a new dvd drive and more ram, you sure you couldnt spend a little more on a new system? Not making fun of you or your system really, i'm pretty able to "scale" systems and for example i have here at my side an old pentium III slot1 550 mhz, and it does pretty fine for what i use it for, but you could benefit from a newer system because wasting cash on old sdram won't be much worth imo.
I mean, if you go to a store and you buy todays cheap of the cheapest mobo\cpu\ram, it will always be like 4 or 5 times faster than that amd k6 is.
So..yes, it might be time to replace your amd-k6.
Anyways, i still have my amd k6, and i still love it because i had much fun in the past with it!
March 3, 2007 7:25:05 PM

As for help or free pc's I have none. Which is why I come to you good people. :wink:
March 3, 2007 7:28:10 PM

Also as regards to 'U tube' and Flash it works fine.
Its a strange old pc but overall its been ok.
March 3, 2007 7:31:48 PM

you should just get a new computer. Even retail PCs starting at $400 come with dvd burners and everything else 100gb+ hd, 512mb-1gb memory, new OS.
March 3, 2007 7:32:31 PM

A new dvd drive would be about £40 and ram would be £23
That no where near what a new system would be
I can not afford much really and need that advise to weigh the odds up.
Many Thanks
March 3, 2007 7:34:01 PM

i'd say try your hardest to get rid of your k6... i had one forever, most of my computer-life (i'm still young) and in retrospect it was hell. please, for your sake and mine, try to begin anew.

*shudders*
March 3, 2007 7:36:29 PM

Hm, i understand your point of not wanting to buy a new system if that one has been so trustworthy till now. Do this, tell me\us your motherboard model and how and your actual ram config atm. (if it is 2x128 or 1 256mb stick get it?)
As for the motherboard reference, if you dont know how to get it do this, go to 'Start->Execute' and write this -> dxdiag . Then it might ask something with Yes or No as options, click Yes. Then you will have there your system specs, and you motherboard reference.
March 3, 2007 7:40:08 PM

Thanks
But this is my main 1st problem, I cant load my windows after trying to install it as On trying to reinstall with my upgrade disc it stops with blue screen and says " ERROR 1527 BAD UPDATE SEQUENCE NUMBER
Could this be down to my disc drive and it not reading from it properly?
How do I get round this please?
March 3, 2007 7:44:59 PM

You said you were using a mac. If it is a newer mac and you are more comfortable with it mabye staying with that would work. However if you want to get into using a PC primairily you would be best to get a new system.
March 3, 2007 7:47:06 PM

Will a motherboard for K6-2 even recognize that much ram?
I thought most of the better ones will only see 384mb in bios.
March 3, 2007 7:55:40 PM

I use mac
But this issue is with my pc as stated and I only use it for burning dvds really as I cant on the mac (Havent any available software or dvd drive).

Im going to go for 256mb ram
and get a new dvd player
and I was just considering what I should do with my Amd.

So the question now really boils down to what at its value for money can I replace this with????
(Im currently trying to reinstall my os so I can find out the spec of my motherboard, but I have 2 slots used for 2x 64mb of ram and was going to replace it with 512mb).
Is replacing the ram a easy process? Like slotting it in and using a driver or something???
March 3, 2007 8:02:23 PM

oh man the good ol' amd k6, thats what powered my first beefy computer, but imo i think its time to retire the system. You can even build pc's that are at least 3x better than that one for $200-$300
March 3, 2007 8:37:20 PM

You know, Sdram, that is what your amd k6 uses, is way too expensive nowadays, because it has been discontinued for a long time now. And you might be burning money for nothing, because i almost bet that each slot can only read 128 mb. For that reason, you should get your mobo reference before spending any amount of money. And again, Sdram is very too expensive, i would rather waste just a little more and get new mobo\cpu\ram.
March 3, 2007 8:59:03 PM

Quote:

Im going to go for 256mb ram
and get a new dvd player
and I was just considering what I should do with my Amd.

A little searching turned this up
http://www.memoryx.net/copr74me10.html
If you believe the site your max would be 512.
Ignore those who are putting your system down. If it is doing its task properly it dosent matter if it is a 20 year old 8086. What's the point in upgrading just for the sake of upgrading? Actually if it is the DVD drive that is causing your problems the extra RAM is not gonna help but with 512mb ram and windows 2k/xp your system should be pretty good for a lot of tasks (word processing, web browsing etc)
B$ going for a new drive i would try to update the bios or test it at a friends place.

Quote:

Is replacing the ram a easy process? Like slotting it in and using a driver or something???

It's as easy as it gets. No drivers involved whatsoever. Just make sure that the system is off and that you have grounded yourself to avoid static discharge.

Good luck!!!!
March 3, 2007 9:20:41 PM

256MB for only $30 on Newegg. I know this because I'm tempted to spend the $60 for 2X256MB for an old 750Mhz Duron so I can at least pop XP on it and use it as a back-up word processor/web browser.
March 3, 2007 9:25:16 PM

Here! Here!
Thank chocknuti :wink:
My main computer is my Applemac Powerbook G4, so when people go on with all there 'Blag' I just ignore em, cos thats where my money is spent.

As I reply Ive just successfully reinstalled xp
Everything except the dvd drive works ok and its only £34 for a reasonable one
Thanks for your research, Ill check that out.
Just gonna check out my motherboard spec
March 3, 2007 9:30:04 PM

Dig your mad animation man, its well cool :lol: 
Yes it appears that I am maxed out (as per that site)

How do I find my motherboard spec please?
I was told it was start execute? Is that via run?
March 3, 2007 9:33:13 PM

b4 buying a new one try updating the bios on the dvd drive.

Anyway good luck!
March 3, 2007 9:40:03 PM

Quote:
Dig your mad animation man, its well cool :lol: 

No 66 from fullmetal alchemist :) 

Quote:

How do I find my motherboard spec please?
I was told it was start execute? Is that via run?

HPs site says the chipset is
Via MVP4/686A
You can find info on the system here
March 3, 2007 9:45:28 PM

So the 'Chipset' is the motherboard then?
Do excuse me, im not that clever with pc's
March 3, 2007 10:06:15 PM

The chipset is what "drives" the motherboard. Controls the i/o functions memory, etc...
When people mention drivers for the motherboard what they mainly mean are the chipset drivers.

While the chipset can give you a base idea of what the motherboard is capable of u'll need to find the exact motherboard model to get a perfect picture and that is the problem with the compaqs, HPs, Dells etc. They mostly have custom motherboards and it is hard to find info on them. Try the link i sent in my earlier post.
Otherwise try searching for info on the chipset.
(I would have helped and done it myself but its 3 a.m. here and I am going to sleep :)  ) Good night and good luck!
March 3, 2007 10:07:31 PM

Many Thanks to all that responded in a positive manner and Big thanks to you chocknuti
:D 
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2007 10:16:34 PM

Quote:
1gb won't be possible, for that im nearly 100% sure. 512 probably.

What makes you so sure? IT'S NOT A CELERON, IT'S A K6-2!!! Celerons came with 810 chipsets that supported only 512MB RAM total, but K6-2's came with VIA chipsets that supported at least 512MB per SLOT.

So it should easily support 1GB on two slots, unless Compaq screwed up the BIOS sooo badly...which is completely possible with Compaq but nothing you can be more than 50% sure of.
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2007 10:30:43 PM

You'll want more than 512MB total because it's Windows XP, if it were Windows 98SE 512MB would be perfect.

512MB makes XP run perfectly until you start launching a bunch of applications. Even a bunch of Interent Explorer windows. 768 would be OK, so you could get a 512MB stick and keep your 256MB stick. Check with compatibility verification sellers like Crucial to see what works with your particular PC.
March 3, 2007 10:55:03 PM

never saw a socket 7 mobo suporting 1gb of mem o_O
yet again, it there's one link it to me, i would like to give life to my amd k6 as well.
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2007 11:50:58 PM

All my "generic" VIA MVP3 chipset boards supported 512MB DIMM's in each slot. Most of my HP and Compaq boards from that erra were fussy with RAM, some modules worked and others (with the same number of chips) did not.
March 4, 2007 9:57:53 AM

Quote:
Ignore those who are putting your system down.

I don't know if that was meant for me as well because i did advice for a new system too, but by no means i was trying to put his system how, as i said in my previous statement, im pretty able to scale PCs and i know that his system is fine for what he does with it. I did only advice a new system because if he was about to spent cash on old ram and stuff, with a little more he could be able to get something else that would provide him extra gain in speed @ whatever he does on the pc, but if he is able to find good prices and if his wallet finds it reasonable, i'm with him about getting only a new memo and a new dvd player :D 

And btw

Quote:
Also as regards to 'U tube' and Flash it works fine.
Its a strange old pc but overall its been ok.

My pentium 550 mhz runs youtube videos quite slow..did you do any speacial tweaks on windows or something? I always thought it runned slow because of the lack of cpu power.

As for

Quote:
All my "generic" VIA MVP3 chipset boards supported 512MB DIMM's in each slot. Most of my HP and Compaq boards from that erra were fussy with RAM, some modules worked and others (with the same number of chips) did not.

Just wondering, if the amd-k6 wouldn't work slower with 1gb than with 512 mb, and i say this because my amd-k6 had much less frames per second in every game when i had 192 that than with 64 mb. For example, 45 fps on ut intro with 64 mb versus 19 fps with 192 mb. The chipset from the mobo was a sis530, and maybe it was just because the mobo itself sucked too hard, i don't know.
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2007 10:30:03 AM

Windows 98SE worked fine with 128MB, but the problem I've had is that newer programs and even newer web pages sucked increasing amounts of RAM as time progressed. Yes, the SiS 530 was horrible, it might be your problem, but my last 98SE system (no SiS chipset) ran fine with 512MB. Which is great because I used it with TMPGenc, a program that used every bit of available RAM it could to decrease encoding time.
March 4, 2007 11:16:03 AM

Save you pennies for a little while longer and build yourself a new cheap system.I know you want to keep the one you have and fix it,But in all honesty,your current system has only got a while left before it starts to crap out majorly causing you to build a new system in the end anyways.So save yourself the headaches and just build a new system now.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
2X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442
March 5, 2007 6:54:53 PM

Quote:
Ignore those who are putting your system down.

I don't know if that was meant for me as well because i did advice for a new system too, but by no means i was trying to put his system how, as i said in my previous statement, im pretty able to scale PCs and i know that his system is fine for what he does with it.

No it wasn't aimed at you. Just look a couple of posts below your last post and check the first page. I cannot understand those who were advising him to upgrade/ get a new system for 300-400$ when the OP stated that he is happy with the performance f the system (well till it broke :)  ) and he has a Mac for his other tasks.
March 5, 2007 7:49:05 PM

Buzby,

If money is tight adding to this system will provide you NO gain. Anything you purchase will likely STAY with that machine. As some of it will be unusable in a newer machine.

For instance... Does your machine support ATA 33/66/100? Chances are it is 33 or 66 which means you would have to purchase a drive that will also support those levels (some/many drives will step backwards, so they may be used in the next system, buy carefully). If you do purchase for instance an ATA33 drive and move it to a newer system later you will lose speed on the interface as it will clock down to the lowest speed.

Same with memory.. Here it is different because you are talking a whole different physical pin-out.

Just some things to think about.

If it were me I would "at most" see if a new DVD writer cures your ailment, and if it does start/top there.

Save your money for a future upgrade to a new machine like an AMD AM2 or current gen Intel..

Be sure to donate your old computer (great write-off if you are in the sates).
March 5, 2007 8:33:28 PM

Buzby, you can probably use 128MB single sided or 256MB double sided ram Dimms at best. It depends on your mobo. Do you have the mobo manual or PDF? Also, from what you've said, 2x64MB is equal to 128MB not 256MB. No wonder your struggling to use XP! To identify your mobo, at the boot up screen at the bottom you'll see a string about 12-15 characters long that
identifies your mobo. just google that string and see what you get. hope that helps.
March 5, 2007 8:59:01 PM

Thanks crabby your right, I did notice that the other day 128mb! Oof! What do I expect. However since buying the new Dvd recorder it has sorted the record problem
:lol: 
Half way there.
Wheres the best place to buy the Ram (uk) as pc world where trying it on with there "Oh the wesite needs updating" chestnut at the store sunday.

Also crabby, I didnt get that boot up string of 12-15 characters?
I think ive been advised another way, but I cant remember so Im gonna have to do some more reading unless you can correct what you mean.
I have re installed my Xp at last!
Thanks a little help from my (forumz) friends.
March 5, 2007 9:00:50 PM

I cant believe how many people have viewed this post 8O
Amd most be popular?
March 5, 2007 9:14:17 PM

My Chipset appears to be VIA 82C501 rev 4 ?
SuperIO chipset : VIA 686 rev 33 at pci 7 ?

That is totally a foreign language to me! :?

Bios type : Phoenix
Bios date : 2000.07.25
March 5, 2007 9:34:50 PM

Thanks Buzby, my bad. On the boot up screen, which is the memory test screen not the XP boot up screen, you should see a whole lot of characters in several groups at the bottom of that screen more than the 12-15 i mentioned but the mobo model is or should be there in the string near the
end (right side) which is approx. 12-15 characters long. :D  hope that helps.
March 5, 2007 9:53:28 PM

I dont appear to get that screen ?
March 5, 2007 11:01:59 PM

Quote:

Wheres the best place to buy the Ram (uk) as pc world where trying it on with there "Oh the wesite needs updating" chestnut at the store sunday.

I think http://www.crucial.com/uk are pretty good, if you plan to buy online

If your system is the Presario 7482 and it still has the original motherboard in it, this looks like what you are after.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pr...

HTH

edits: corrected typo's
!