Win2k install on IBM TransNote

I have an IBM laptop computer (with a 10GB hard drive and
Win2k OS), that has stopped working because of what I'm
guessing is a corrupted file somewhere in the Win2k boot
sequence. The symptoms are: Win2k installs part-way and
then hits a point where the HD sounds like it is trying to
repeatedly read the same place on the disk. This sound
repeats about 20 times, and then the Win2k boot sequence
aborts and an error message appears saying there was a
hardware failure and that I should remove whatever
hardware I just installed. Since I haven't installed any
new hardware, I assume something is physically wrong with
the HD. However, the HD doesn't make any nasty grinding
noises, so I'm assuming it's not a complete disk crash but
rather just a bad file somewhere in the Win2k boot
sequence. Anyway, it's a 2.5-year old computer, so I've
bought a new 40GB HD to replace the old 10GB HD, which
means I'll need to install the Win2k OS on the new HD.
But, before I do anything, I have some questions:

1. Is there any way to trouble-shoot the Win2k boot
problem with the existing 10GB HD in place, *without*
risking any damage to my data files that are on the HD? I
ask this because some Windows recovery utilities will
reformat the HD, or reinstall the OS in ways that will
erase my data, and I don't want that to happen.

2. My computer has *no* internal floppy drive *or*
internal CD drive; it uses external USB drives for both
floppy & CD. How do I install Win2k on this computer?
Will Win2k install via an external USB CD drive alone or
do I need both a USB floppy & CD drive? In either case,
what is the procedure for booting and installing Win2k
from the USB drive(s)? Also, will any brand of USB drives
work (i.e., are they all "bootable"), or do they need to
be IBM brand?

3. Assuming everything goes OK with the physical install
of the new 40GB HD, and with the install of Win2k OS on
the new HD, and assuming the old 10GB HD is not
extensively damaged, will I likely be able to recover my
data files from the old HD? I've purchased a USB drive
enclosure...if I install the old 10GB HD into this
enclosure and plug it into the USB port on my computer,
will this enable me to access my data files on the old
10GB HD (assuming the data files are not corrupted by
whatever has damaged the boot process)?

Thanks!

"Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an IBM laptop computer (with a 10GB hard drive and
> Win2k OS), that has stopped working because of what I'm
> guessing is a corrupted file somewhere in the Win2k boot
> sequence. The symptoms are: Win2k installs part-way and
> then hits a point where the HD sounds like it is trying to
> repeatedly read the same place on the disk. This sound
> repeats about 20 times, and then the Win2k boot sequence
> aborts and an error message appears saying there was a
> hardware failure and that I should remove whatever
> hardware I just installed. Since I haven't installed any
> new hardware, I assume something is physically wrong with
> the HD. However, the HD doesn't make any nasty grinding
> noises, so I'm assuming it's not a complete disk crash but
> rather just a bad file somewhere in the Win2k boot
> sequence. Anyway, it's a 2.5-year old computer, so I've
> bought a new 40GB HD to replace the old 10GB HD, which
> means I'll need to install the Win2k OS on the new HD.
> But, before I do anything, I have some questions:
>
> 1. Is there any way to trouble-shoot the Win2k boot
> problem with the existing 10GB HD in place, *without*
> risking any damage to my data files that are on the HD? I
> ask this because some Windows recovery utilities will
> reformat the HD, or reinstall the OS in ways that will
> erase my data, and I don't want that to happen.
>
> 2. My computer has *no* internal floppy drive *or*
> internal CD drive; it uses external USB drives for both
> floppy & CD. How do I install Win2k on this computer?
> Will Win2k install via an external USB CD drive alone or
> do I need both a USB floppy & CD drive? In either case,
> what is the procedure for booting and installing Win2k
> from the USB drive(s)? Also, will any brand of USB drives
> work (i.e., are they all "bootable"), or do they need to
> be IBM brand?
>
> 3. Assuming everything goes OK with the physical install
> of the new 40GB HD, and with the install of Win2k OS on
> the new HD, and assuming the old 10GB HD is not
> extensively damaged, will I likely be able to recover my
> data files from the old HD? I've purchased a USB drive
> enclosure...if I install the old 10GB HD into this
> enclosure and plug it into the USB port on my computer,
> will this enable me to access my data files on the old
> 10GB HD (assuming the data files are not corrupted by
> whatever has damaged the boot process)?
>
> Thanks!

Before doing anything else, you should check your hard
disk:
1. Remove the disk and check its label.
2. Download the free diagnostic program that the disk
manufacturer makes available on his home site.
3. Buy a $5.00 adapter that lets you install your
disk in a desktop PC.
4. Boot the desktop with the diagnostic disk and
run the diagnostic program.

Post again if you need any further assistance.

Thanks for trying to help, but unfortunately I don't have
access to a desktop PC. I do have an old laptop running
Windows 95, but it won't support USB, so I'm assuming
that's a dead end. Also, I'm unaware of the $5 adapter.
Does it connect a laptop HD to a desktop's hard drive
connector? Where are they sold?

> [...]

If you have a laptop without a floppy disk drive and without
a CD drive (both of which accessible from DOS), and if
you do not have access to a desktop PC, then you are
pretty well stuck. You basically operate in what we call
an "Island mode". In this mode you must be completely
self-sufficient. This means that you must ensure to get a
floppy disk and a CD drive for your next purchase.

The adapter I mentioned is sold in computer stores.
It allows you to plug a standard 80-core ribbon cable
into the socket of a 2.5" disk drive. Ask your computer
store to help. It's child's play for them but you could wreck
your disk if you plug things in back to front.

The exact same thing is happening to me. My Transnote would not even
start six months ago. I took it off the shelf today and gave it a go,
and it worked for about 20 min. Then it started to make a
galloping/clicking sound, it sounded like the HD was rereading an
errored sector. Eventually it would crash, Often eventually telling
me to re-install the HD. Please Let me know what happens with your
new HD, I may do the same. IBM was not too halpfull on the phone,
though nice. My machine will not start anymore. I do get the IBM
splash screen, then the error message.