cannot install OS on empty disk...

Kurt

hi, i am having major problems getting w2k setup running...
Before i received it, the pc had winMe installed, but corruptions in
registry of the himem nature forced shutdown after starting windows.

I tried using my own WinME recovery CD to do a clean reinstall but shortly
after setup starts i got denied since the installer says that the my Me
version does not match the previous owner's version...damn!!

So i turned to W2K. First, the W2k Cd is a copy of the original and was not
booting so i had to get into the DOS command prompt using the Me recovery CD.
I used the MErecovery Cd's fdisk and format options for hard drive failure
rescue to erase the existing partitions and set a new logical partition
formatted in fat32.

then i ran w2kCd\i386\winnt.exe to run W2K setup. But after asking me for
the source path for w2K files, it says that it cannot continue because of
something having to do with the incorrect partition and format

Then, i created the setup startup floppies, which got into the blue screen
for win2000setup, but after reading from the #1 for a few seconds, nothing
happens...

what should i do? Try with a different OS setup? Can WinME fdisk & format
cause mayhem for the W2K setup process? Where can i find the Fdisk and format
tools for W2k (are they even in the W2K cd?)? Why can't my W2K cd boot, even
when set in the bios config?

Help me please!

If I had to guess based on this information I would say you have
incompatible or faulty hardware. If you can get to the options stage after
the initial files loads (where it asks if you would like to install a new
copy of windows or repair) and then it freezes, my money would be on
incompatability with hardware. Check the HCL at www.microsoft.com/hcl to
see if your PC is on it.

For more options on recovery console see the following KB article:
229716 Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229716

Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
or opinions of Microsoft.

"kurt" <kurt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i am having major problems getting w2k setup running...
> Before i received it, the pc had winMe installed, but corruptions in
> registry of the himem nature forced shutdown after starting windows.
>
> I tried using my own WinME recovery CD to do a clean reinstall but shortly
> after setup starts i got denied since the installer says that the my Me
> version does not match the previous owner's version...damn!!
>
> So i turned to W2K. First, the W2k Cd is a copy of the original and was
not
> booting so i had to get into the DOS command prompt using the Me recovery
CD.
> I used the MErecovery Cd's fdisk and format options for hard drive
failure
> rescue to erase the existing partitions and set a new logical partition
> formatted in fat32.
>
> then i ran w2kCd\i386\winnt.exe to run W2K setup. But after asking me for
> the source path for w2K files, it says that it cannot continue because of
> something having to do with the incorrect partition and format
>
> Then, i created the setup startup floppies, which got into the blue screen
> for win2000setup, but after reading from the #1 for a few seconds, nothing
> happens...
>
> what should i do? Try with a different OS setup? Can WinME fdisk &
format
> cause mayhem for the W2K setup process? Where can i find the Fdisk and
format
> tools for W2k (are they even in the W2K cd?)? Why can't my W2K cd boot,
even
> when set in the bios config?
>
> Help me please!

Do this:
- Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
- Use fdisk.com to create the FAT32 partitions you require.
- run \i386\winnt.exe from your Win2000 CD to install Win2000.
- Convert the partition to NTFS if desired (convert c: /fs:ntfs)