installing windows 2000 pro over windows 2000 xp

I want to install windows 2000 professional over windows
2000 xp (replace 2000 pro with 2000 xp). Is there
anything tricky about doing this? Should I delete any
files before I start? Any articles I need to read?
cb
3 answers Last reply
More about installing windows 2000 windows 2000

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "cb" wrote:
    |I want to install windows 2000 professional over windows
    | 2000 xp (replace 2000 pro with 2000 xp). Is there
    | anything tricky about doing this? Should I delete any
    | files before I start? Any articles I need to read?
    | cb

    :)

    If you want to install Microsoft Windows XP over Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional without saving any files on your hard drive (clean install)
    then I highly recommend this article, which also contains information on
    upgrading (saves programs and personal files) instead of doing a "clean"
    install.

    316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316941

    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    or opinions of Microsoft.

    "cb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I want to install windows 2000 professional over windows
    > 2000 xp (replace 2000 pro with 2000 xp). Is there
    > anything tricky about doing this? Should I delete any
    > files before I start? Any articles I need to read?
    > cb

    I suspect your Subject line is back to front; it should
    probably read "Installing Windows XP over Windows 2000".
    Simply launch Windows 2000, pop in your WinXP CD,
    then follow the prompts.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows XP Windows