format a hard drive with windows 2000 pro

i cant get to the screen to format the hard drive like in
windows 98 i want to do a clean install of windows 2000 pro
3 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive windows 2000

    flip wrote:
    > i cant get to the screen to format the hard drive like in
    > windows 98 i want to do a clean install of windows 2000 pro

    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    This is a great KB article on installing 2000 Professional: 304868 How To
    Install Windows 2000 Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304868

    I suggest you format with NTFS when it comes time to make that decision. I
    also suggest you check on the hcl located at www.microsoft.com/hcl for any
    compatibility issues and you can also use the "winnt32.exe /checkupgrade"
    function. In short, here's the article:

    - #1: SUMMARY

    - #2: Installing Windows 2000 Professional
    SUMMARY
    =======
    This article describes how to install Windows 2000 Professional.

    Installing Windows 2000 Professional
    ------------------------------------

    To install Windows 2000 Professional, follow these steps:

    1. Start the installation by using one of the following methods:

    - Start from the Windows 2000 Professional installation CD-ROM.
    Make sure that the CD-ROM is set to start before the hard disk starts.
    Insert the CD-ROM, and then when you are prompted, press any key to start
    the Windows 2000 Professional Setup program.

    - Start from boot disks. Insert Disk 1, and then insert each of the
    remaining three floppy disks when you are prompted to do so.
    For additional information about creating boot disks for Windows 2000,
    click the article number below
    to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    KBLink:197063.KB.EN-US: How to Create Setup Boot Disks for Windows 2000

    - Start from within a current operating system. Insert the CD-ROM, and
    then, at a command prompt, type "<drive>:\i386\winnt32.exe" (without the
    quotation marks) and then press ENTER, or if this is an installation on a
    computer that has no previous installation of Windows, type
    "<drive>:\i386\winnt.exe" (without the quotation marks) and then press
    ENTER, where <drive> is the letter of the CD-ROM drive.

    2. Setup inspects your computer's hardware configuration and then
    begins to install the Setup and driver files. When the Microsoft
    Windows 2000 Professional screen appears, press ENTER to set up Windows
    2000 Professional.

    3. Read the license agreement, and then press the F8 key to accept the
    terms of the license agreement and continue the installation.

    4. When the Windows 2000 Professional Setup screen appears, either
    press ENTER to set up Windows 2000 Professional on the selected
    partition, or press C to create a partition in the unpartitioned space.

    5. If you choose to install Windows 2000 Professional on a file allocation
    table (FAT) partition, specify whether you want to:

    - Leave the current file system intact.

    - Format the partition as FAT16.

    - Convert the existing file system to the NTFS file system.

    - Format the partition by using the NTFS file system.
    Press ENTER after you make your selection. Setup examines the existing hard
    disks and then copies the files that are needed to complete the
    installation of Windows 2000 Professional. After the files are copied, the
    computer restarts.

    Important Do not press a key to boot from your CD-ROM drive when your
    computer restarts.

    6. When the Windows 2000 GUI Mode Setup Wizard appears, click Next to
    start the wizard. Setup detects and installs such devices as a
    specialized mouse or keyboard.

    7. When the Regional Options dialog box appears, customize your
    installation of Windows 2000 Professional for locale, number format,
    currency, time, date, and language, if necessary. Click Next.

    8. In the Personalize Your Software dialog box, type your name and the
    name of your organization, and then click Next.

    9. In the Product ID dialog box, type the 25-character product key, and
    then click Next.

    10. In the "Computer Name and Password" dialog box, either accept the
    default name that Setup generates or assign a different name for the
    computer. When you are prompted for an administrative password, type a
    password for the Administrator account. (You can leave the box blank;
    however, this is not recommended.) Click Next.

    11. In the "Date and Time Settings" dialog box, set the correct date
    and time for your computer. You can also specify which time zone you
    are in and set the computer to automatically adjust the clock for
    daylight saving time. Click Next.

    12. Setup installs the networking software and detects your network
    settings. When the Network Settings dialog box appears, click either

    - Typical to set default network settings such as File and Print Sharing
    for Microsoft Networks, Client for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP protocol
    that uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), or

    - Custom to specify the network components that you require for your
    network environment,
    and then click Next.

    13. In the "Workgroup or Computer Domain" dialog box, specify the
    workgroup or the domain to join. If you indicate that you are part of a
    domain, specify your domain user name and password. Click Next. Setup
    installs the networking components.

    14. During the final stage of installation, Setup installs Start menu
    items, registers components, saves settings, and removes temporary
    files. When the "Completing the Windows 2000 Setup Wizard" dialog box
    prompts you to do so, remove the Windows 2000 CD-ROM, and then click
    Finish to restart the computer.

    15. After the computer restarts, click Next in the "Welcome to the
    Network Identification Wizard" dialog box.

    16. In the "Users of This Computer" dialog box, specify either that
    users must enter a user name and password or that you want Windows 2000
    to automatically log on a specific user when the computer starts. Click
    Finish.

    When the Windows 2000 Professional desktop appears, the installation is
    complete.

    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    or opinions of Microsoft.

    "flip" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i cant get to the screen to format the hard drive like in
    > windows 98 i want to do a clean install of windows 2000 pro

    Boot your machine with your Win2000 CD, then select
    "format" when prompted.

Windows 2000 Hard Drives Format Windows