What partition size for Win2k Pro?

I'll be installing Win2k Pro onto a new 40GB drive and I
plan to partition the drive during the install, so I have
one partition for the OS and one for everything else.
What's a good size for the OS partition? Somewhere I saw
a suggestion of 10GB, but this seems too big because my
existing hard drive is only 10GB and it contains the OS
plus everything else.

Also, is there any sense in having 3 partitions -- one for
the OS, one for programs and one for data?

Thanks.

Hey Doug,

Partitioning off your data can be a very wise thing. It will allow you to
reinstall your OS, or wipe and load a newer OS without having to worry
about much of your data.

However, it's all up to you, you will be the best to judge partition size.
If you are not a gamer, & you are already working off of a 10GB partition,
then that may suffice for your Boot/System partition. Just remember you
won't be able to extend that partition in the future unless you utilize a
3'rd party utility, so make sure you have more than what you need now. It
doesn't sound like you have a lot of data so you may want to go 15/25, or
maybe an even split 20/20 (20GB is normally plenty if you are just running
OS & Apps, even if you have a few games on there, but remember you are the
best judge of what you will have on there :)

I would not recommend, & it is not standard practice, to create a separate
partition for your applications.

Cheers,

Mark R. Wilson, MCSA/MCSE
Enterprise Platform Support
Server Setup

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows

others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a

more timely response. Thank you!

I wouldn't peg it below 10Gb, personally.

I'm a fan of having a single partition for workstations.

Oli

"Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'll be installing Win2k Pro onto a new 40GB drive and I
> plan to partition the drive during the install, so I have
> one partition for the OS and one for everything else.
> What's a good size for the OS partition? Somewhere I saw
> a suggestion of 10GB, but this seems too big because my
> existing hard drive is only 10GB and it contains the OS
> plus everything else.
>
> Also, is there any sense in having 3 partitions -- one for
> the OS, one for programs and one for data?
>
> Thanks.

I agree on the 10GB -
I like having a system partition and a data partition - esp. on a standalone
workstation, where no data is being stored on a server. that way, if I need
to blow away the OS and reinstall it, I don't have to worry about the
data....