pokedex the same in R/S and FR/LG?

Last response: in Video Games
September 26, 2004 3:44:17 AM

Does the updated pokedex in R/S have all the entries that FR/LG does? I
think the NP guide says something about it has three less entries (one
being Jirachi, which doesn't make sense since I have a Jirachi in
Sapph.), so I was wondering what this meant. Or can you still get all
386 in your R/S pokedex?

More about : pokedex

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:08:07 PM

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote:
> Does the updated pokedex in R/S have all the entries that FR/LG does?
> I think the NP guide says something about it has three less entries
> (one being Jirachi, which doesn't make sense since I have a Jirachi in
> Sapph.), so I was wondering what this meant. Or can you still get all
> 386 in your R/S pokedex?

I understand what you're asking, but you might have worded it weird, so I'll
go the safe course and answer in a blanket fashion.

Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen are based upon the same basic engine,
though obviously with graphic changes. In this sense, FRLG and RuSa have
EXACTLY the same Pokedex, with neither having or missing one of the other's.
I'm not exactly sure of the G/S numbers, but you can technically complete
the Pokedex in both versions for all of Kanto and all of Hoenn. If you add
in Orre's G/Smons and the various ones found in FRLG, you should get a good
number, if not ALL G/S pokemon. But the technical system on which FRLG runs
is based on RS... and slightly upgraded in many ways. But the Pokedex
entries are the same.

Short answer: Both FRLG and RS can have the same pokemon, including Jirachi.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

DeepThought wrote:

> Short answer: Both FRLG and RS can have the same pokemon, including Jirachi.

Ok, but here's the line that confused me: "When you trade with a Pokemon
Ruby or Sapphire Pak, the Pokedex in the distant Hoenn region will be
upgraded to National Pokedex capacity. It will be slightly different,
however -- it will track 382 Pokemon (it excludes only Mew, Celebi,
Jirachi, and Deoxys). [NP Player's Guide, p. 25 at the top left]

So what does this mean? It sounds like the pokedex in R/S only holds 382
entries, so only FR/LG can have a completely full pokedex. Of course,
given that Jirachi is definitely in R/S (from Col.), that whole line may
be incorrect. I can't imagine why they'd leave out those few pokemon
from the R/S pokedex.

Basically, I ask because I'd like to complete my pokedex on R/S, and
probably restart FR/LG a few times. But there's no point to that if I
can't really complete the 'dex in R/S.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:20:07 PM

DeepThought wrote:

> John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote:
> > Does the updated pokedex in R/S have all the entries that FR/LG does?
> > I think the NP guide says something about it has three less entries
> > (one being Jirachi, which doesn't make sense since I have a Jirachi in
> > Sapph.), so I was wondering what this meant. Or can you still get all
> > 386 in your R/S pokedex?
>
> I understand what you're asking, but you might have worded it weird, so I'll
> go the safe course and answer in a blanket fashion.
>
> Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen are based upon the same basic engine,
> though obviously with graphic changes. In this sense, FRLG and RuSa have
> EXACTLY the same Pokedex, with neither having or missing one of the other's.
> I'm not exactly sure of the G/S numbers, but you can technically complete
> the Pokedex in both versions for all of Kanto and all of Hoenn. If you add
> in Orre's G/Smons and the various ones found in FRLG, you should get a good
> number, if not ALL G/S pokemon. But the technical system on which FRLG runs
> is based on RS... and slightly upgraded in many ways. But the Pokedex
> entries are the same.
>
> Short answer: Both FRLG and RS can have the same pokemon, including Jirachi.

The missing three Pokemon:

Celebi
Mew
Deoxys

Event bait. They really should sell a gamecube disk with those Mew and Celebi
on it, so people don't have to travel to NY to complete a pokedex..

Deoxys is supposed to be an E-card reader event.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:59:24 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> Ok, but here's the line that confused me: "When you trade with a Pokemon
> Ruby or Sapphire Pak, the Pokedex in the distant Hoenn region will be
> upgraded to National Pokedex capacity. It will be slightly different,
> however -- it will track 382 Pokemon (it excludes only Mew, Celebi,
> Jirachi, and Deoxys). [NP Player's Guide, p. 25 at the top left]

Yeah, that's the usual bit of player guide inaccuracy. The R/S National
Pokedex has entries for all 386, as does Fire/Leaf.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:59:25 AM

White Cat wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Ok, but here's the line that confused me: "When you trade with a Pokemon
>>Ruby or Sapphire Pak, the Pokedex in the distant Hoenn region will be
>>upgraded to National Pokedex capacity. It will be slightly different,
>>however -- it will track 382 Pokemon (it excludes only Mew, Celebi,
>>Jirachi, and Deoxys). [NP Player's Guide, p. 25 at the top left]
>

> Yeah, that's the usual bit of player guide inaccuracy. The R/S National
> Pokedex has entries for all 386, as does Fire/Leaf.
>
> -- White Cat
> http://pokedex.kary.ca/

Ah good, thanks! It was such a weird thing for them to say.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:33:28 PM

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote:
> Ah good, thanks! It was such a weird thing for them to say.

Yes, yes it was.

The National Dex is the way of tracking pokemon outside the Regional Dex...
for instance, in Hoenn, Pokemon #1 is Treecko. National Dex unlocked, #1
should be Bulbasaur, #2 Ivysaur, etc etc, following the Kanto Dex. The Johto
'mon should then take their place after Mew, and the Hoenn 'mon after that.
If you remember in G/S/C, you first started with the "regional dex" mode on,
meaning that Chikorita was #1. However, you could easily change that in the
Pokedex settings, and I did.

--
Deep Thought