disable the smart minimize

May 31, 2005 2:30:03 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so that
I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do this in the
registry instead of loading additional apps because I have tested a few of
them and I found different problem.

Thanks very much,
Aldous

More about : disable smart minimize

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:09:52 PM

Aldous,

You are not able to do this without a 3rd party application. I would
suggest Spb PocketPlus as it does turn the minimize into a close function
and adds several other features. You can read a review of it on my site at
http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/spb/pocketplus-2-5/.... For
more information, go to http://spbsoftwarehouse.com/en

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

" Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> wrote in message
news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so
> that I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do this
> in the registry instead of loading additional apps because I have tested a
> few of them and I found different problem.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Aldous

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:43:15 PM

Hi

I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to do
it...

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

" Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so
> that I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do this
> in the registry instead of loading additional apps because I have tested a
> few of them and I found different problem.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Aldous

May 31, 2005 8:43:16 PM

Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have tried
the following and found different problem with each one of them:

- Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar

Thanks again for your help,
Aldous

"Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to do
> it...
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Allan Boegild Pedersen
> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>
> " Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so
>> that I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do
>> this in the registry instead of loading additional apps because I have
>> tested a few of them and I found different problem.
>>
>> Thanks very much,
>> Aldous

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:43:17 PM

Out of interest, why do you want to do this?

" Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
> tried the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>
> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>
> Thanks again for your help,
> Aldous
>
> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
> news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to do
>> it...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>>
>> " Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so
>>> that I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do
>>> this in the registry instead of loading additional apps because I have
>>> tested a few of them and I found different problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much,
>>> Aldous

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:43:18 PM

I want to close the apps instead of minimizing it because I can make sure
that the data connection is terminated. And, most of the RAM are there for
other apps.

"rick cameron" <rick.cameron@decisionscrystal.com> wrote in message
> Out of interest, why do you want to do this?
>
> " Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
>> tried the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>>
>> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>>
>> Thanks again for your help,
>> Aldous
>>
>> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
>> news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to
>>> do it...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>>> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>>>
>>> " Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:08:32 PM

Hi

No sorry i dont, but i know that many use Pocket plus, but it is far from
simple, it has alot of other features. I like to keep my device as original
as possible, and have it behaeve like it was intended to do, i believe that
in the long run it will give me less trouble. I have never had any problems
with Microsoft memory control.

Pocket Plus can be found here
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846

--

" Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
> tried the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>
> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>
> Thanks again for your help,
> Aldous
>
> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
> news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to do
>> it...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>>
>> " Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so
>>> that I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do
>>> this in the registry instead of loading additional apps because I have
>>> tested a few of them and I found different problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much,
>>> Aldous

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:08:33 PM

Yes, I agree with you. I would like to keep as original as possible, too.
That's why I hoped that there is a regestry to control so that I don't have
to load any software. Unfortuately, loading software is the only way.

Anyway, thank you for all your help.

> Hi
>
> No sorry i dont, but i know that many use Pocket plus, but it is far from
> simple, it has alot of other features. I like to keep my device as
> original as possible, and have it behaeve like it was intended to do, i
> believe that in the long run it will give me less trouble. I have never
> had any problems with Microsoft memory control.
>
> Pocket Plus can be found here
> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Allan Boegild Pedersen
> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>
> " Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en
> meddelelse news:%23QgqnAfZFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
>> tried the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>>
>> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>>
>> Thanks again for your help,
>> Aldous
>>
>> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
>> news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I dont think it is possbile to do with out installing some software to
>>> do it...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>>> www.pda-faq.com (howto's for Micosoft Pocket PC)
>>>
>>> " Aldous Leung" <noemailplease@bellnexxia.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> news:o ioX90eZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:49:09 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:50:58 -0400, Aldous Leung wrote:

> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have tried
> the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>
> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar

What was the problem with Magic Button? I installed version 1.8 build
50213 on an iPAQ hx4700 (WM2003SE) and haven't encountered any
problems.

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | Sandisk SD 1 GiB | D-Link DBT-120

Aldous Leung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the "Smart Minimize" in PPC (2003SE) so that
> I can close the apps directly from the "X"? I would prefer to do this in the
> registry instead of loading additional apps because I have tested a few of
> them and I found different problem.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Aldous

Check out Pocket PC Plus at Handango.

Does just what you want + more.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:38:09 AM

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> of XXII wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:50:58 -0400, Aldous Leung wrote:
>
>> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have tried
>> the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>>
>> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>
>What was the problem with Magic Button? I installed version 1.8 build
>50213 on an iPAQ hx4700 (WM2003SE) and haven't encountered any
>problems.

Depends on what sort of PPC it is. On a Phone Edition device, the Magic
Button little house symbol covers up some of the useful icons for GPRS
connection state, WiFi connection state, missed call etc. Magic Button
functions as it is supposed to on my TMobile MDA compact running WM2003SE,
but I need that bit of screen for the icons.
--
(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)retend this never happened..
Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid

I have Audiovox 6600 phone edition. With Magic Button loaded, I have the
following problems:

1. I can't close or minimize the phone dialer with "X". Instead, I much use
the hardware button to close.
2. When I have "Program" screen up plus a few more other applications up, I
close each apps but pressing "X" fast.... after I close them all, I may see
the "Program" screen still stay and forever... unless I reboot the phone.
3. The items in Today screen seems to be updating slower.

Anyway, thank you for everyone here.

Aldous

"Steph Peters" <xda@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.delete.invalid> wrote in message
> "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> of XXII wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:50:58 -0400, Aldous Leung wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
>>> tried
>>> the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>>>
>>> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>>
>>What was the problem with Magic Button? I installed version 1.8 build
>>50213 on an iPAQ hx4700 (WM2003SE) and haven't encountered any
>>problems.
>
> Depends on what sort of PPC it is. On a Phone Edition device, the Magic
> Button little house symbol covers up some of the useful icons for GPRS
> connection state, WiFi connection state, missed call etc. Magic Button
> functions as it is supposed to on my TMobile MDA compact running WM2003SE,
> but I need that bit of screen for the icons.
> --
> (A)bort, (R)etry, (P)retend this never happened..
> Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid
> Tatting, lace & stitching page
> <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm&gt;
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 7:45:58 PM

I saw this tip the other day in another thread.

You can use Ctl+q on the on screen keyboard to close the active app.

This way you don't have to install any other applications and use the native
functionality of the PPC. Be warned, I've found that some apps, my GPS
Software, has no way to bring up the keyboard on the main screen. So this
isn't a complete option.

I also have the 6600 and the tip above has been working great for me so far.

--
Thanks
Wayne Sepega

Enterprise Library Configuration Console Module Generator
http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/elccmg

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But
let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour.
That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

" Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o imZcmrZFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I have Audiovox 6600 phone edition. With Magic Button loaded, I have the
> following problems:
>
> 1. I can't close or minimize the phone dialer with "X". Instead, I much
use
> the hardware button to close.
> 2. When I have "Program" screen up plus a few more other applications up,
> close each apps but pressing "X" fast.... after I close them all, I may
see
> the "Program" screen still stay and forever... unless I reboot the phone.
> 3. The items in Today screen seems to be updating slower.
>
> Anyway, thank you for everyone here.
>
> Aldous
>

> "Steph Peters" <xda@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.delete.invalid> wrote in
message

> >>What was the problem with Magic Button? I installed version 1.8 build
> >>50213 on an iPAQ hx4700 (WM2003SE) and haven't encountered any
> >>problems.
> >
> > Depends on what sort of PPC it is. On a Phone Edition device, the Magic
> > Button little house symbol covers up some of the useful icons for GPRS
> > connection state, WiFi connection state, missed call etc. Magic Button
> > functions as it is supposed to on my TMobile MDA compact running
WM2003SE,
> > but I need that bit of screen for the icons.
> > --
> > (A)bort, (R)etry, (P)retend this never happened..
> > Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid
> > Tatting, lace & stitching page
> > <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm&gt;

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:08:52 AM

I don't know if it's *exactly* what you want, but Pelmar's WisBar was
one of the first programs I grabbed for the PPC (www.macpel.com) and
you can Tap & Hold the OK button if you want to completely close the
program - minimise works as normal (a short tap on the OK button)

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:57:39 -0400, " Aldous Leung"

>I want to close the apps instead of minimizing it because I can make sure
>that the data connection is terminated. And, most of the RAM are there for
>other apps.
>

>"rick cameron" <rick.cameron@decisionscrystal.com> wrote in message
>> Out of interest, why do you want to do this?
>>
>> " Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Allan. Then, do you know any simple software to do this? I have
>>> tried the following and found different problem with each one of them:
>>>
>>> - Magic Button, vBar, Wisbar
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help,
>>> Aldous
>>>
>>> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
>>> news:o ynDV8eZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:43:13 AM

" Aldous Leung" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> of wrote:

>I have Audiovox 6600 phone edition. With Magic Button loaded, I have the
>following problems:
>
>1. I can't close or minimize the phone dialer with "X". Instead, I much use
>the hardware button to close.
The phone dialer is very persistent. I can minimise it with the X, but once
opened it never closes again until I do a soft reset. Seems to be by design
in the phone edition part of the OS. It isn't a Magic Button problem; all
the task switching apps fail to close the phone dialer.

>2. When I have "Program" screen up plus a few more other applications up, I
>close each apps but pressing "X" fast.... after I close them all, I may see
>the "Program" screen still stay and forever... unless I reboot the phone.
>3. The items in Today screen seems to be updating slower.
Haven't had either of these problems.
--
We first make our habits, and then our habits make us. John Dryden
Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm&gt;
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:39:54 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:38:09 +0100, Steph Peters wrote:

> Depends on what sort of PPC it is. On a Phone Edition device
8< snip >8

My mistake then. I was under the impression that 'PPC' stood for
'Pocket PC', not SmartPhone. That's why I compared with a PDA/PPC.
Both use Windows Mobile if I'm not mistaken, but clearly the software
for both devices is different.

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | Sandisk SD 1 GiB | D-Link DBT-120
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:53:45 AM

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> of XXII wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:38:09 +0100, Steph Peters wrote:
>
>> Depends on what sort of PPC it is. On a Phone Edition device
>8< snip >8
>
>My mistake then. I was under the impression that 'PPC' stood for
>'Pocket PC', not SmartPhone. That's why I compared with a PDA/PPC.
>Both use Windows Mobile if I'm not mistaken, but clearly the software
>for both devices is different.

The terminology in this lot is confusing. PPC does stand for Pocket PC. In
2002 (I think) PPC Phone Edition came out, which is the PPC software plus an
inbuilt mobile phone. This is used by devices like XDA, MDA, iMate etc.

SmartPhone is a different Microsoft OS used for devices with a number keypad
and no touch screen, for example Motorola MPx220. The SmartPhone platform
has similarities with the PPC, for instance they both have a 'Pocket
Outlook', but it is not the same. Software for SmartPhone will not run on a
PPC and vice-versa, but some apps offer versions for both.
--
Benji! Don't run out onto the road! %$(#& NO TERRIER
!