Resize NTFS Partition

Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
harddrive partition?

Please point me in the right direction.

TIA
Parley
7 answers Last reply
More about resize ntfs partition

    Hi,

    Hopefully the 30 day free trial (fully functional) will convince you to pay
    for it:

    BootIT NG from www.terabyteunlimited.com is safe and reliable and can easily
    do this. You do not need to install it, just create the bootable floppy and
    boot the system with it. Cancel installation, and enter maintenance. You can
    resize the partition with these tools. It will take some time, so be
    patient. When done, just click reboot and remove the floppy.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    > harddrive partition?
    >
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > TIA
    > Parley

    The other posters have made excellent suggestions for a solution. Keep
    this in mind: Doing ANY kind of partition work can carry very high
    risks of complete data loss. Most of these partitioning/converting
    utilities are highly reliable and work flawlessly 99.99% of the time.
    But when they fail on that .01% of the time the results are usually
    catastrophic and more often than not lead to complete data loss. If you
    value your data any you will make sure that you have a reliable backup
    before you proceed with these utility. A simple user error or a power
    outage in the middle of a partitioning job may leave you up the creek
    without the proverbial paddle if you have no backup!

    John

    Parley wrote:

    > Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    > harddrive partition?
    >
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > TIA
    > Parley

    One other hint to make things go more smoothly: Defrag the partitions
    involved before resizing. Do a CHKDSK after the defrag to be sure that the
    file system is 100% OK, else use CHKDSK with the /F or the /R option to fix
    the file system. Backup data, just in case, then resize. A reboot after
    changing partition structures is nearly always required.

    Finally, if you change the boot partition, it is possible that its volume ID
    may change. That is no big deal, except that it is one of the many things
    that XP activation examines (retail XP, not pre-installed by PC maker). If
    you have made several other changes to hardware (or BIOS) within a 120 day
    period, this could be the straw that provokes a re-activation. However,
    that is no big deal, but it could be a surprise.

    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    > harddrive partition?
    >
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > TIA
    > Parley

    Try: http://www.bootitng.com/bootitng.html

    It is widely known that this is a reliable program.

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    > harddrive partition?
    >
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > TIA
    > Parley

    Rick,

    Is it really a 30days free trial? I checked the site and there isn't any
    information about this 30days trial.

    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hopefully the 30 day free trial (fully functional) will convince you to
    > pay for it:
    >
    > BootIT NG from www.terabyteunlimited.com is safe and reliable and can
    > easily do this. You do not need to install it, just create the bootable
    > floppy and boot the system with it. Cancel installation, and enter
    > maintenance. You can resize the partition with these tools. It will take
    > some time, so be patient. When done, just click reboot and remove the
    > floppy.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    >> harddrive partition?
    >>
    >> Please point me in the right direction.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Parley

    Hi,

    From the license agreement:

    (i) YOU MAY: use the Evaluation Software for evaluation
    purposes in your own computer, for a period not to exceed
    thirty (30) days after your first installation or use of the
    Evaluation Software. You may not re-install or additionally
    install the Evaluation Software for additional evaluation
    periods.

    However, as I noted, you do not need to install it to do what the OP is
    asking.

    --

    "Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
    > Rick,
    >
    > Is it really a 30days free trial? I checked the site and there isn't any
    > information about this 30days trial.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > --
    > Jabez Gan
    > Give me a chance, Let me help you!
    > http://www.blizhosting.com

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Hopefully the 30 day free trial (fully functional) will convince you to
    >> pay for it:
    >>
    >> BootIT NG from www.terabyteunlimited.com is safe and reliable and can
    >> easily do this. You do not need to install it, just create the bootable
    >> floppy and boot the system with it. Cancel installation, and enter
    >> maintenance. You can resize the partition with these tools. It will take
    >> some time, so be patient. When done, just click reboot and remove the
    >> floppy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    >>> harddrive partition?
    >>>
    >>> Please point me in the right direction.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Parley

    I thank all of you for your suggestions and may try BootIt NG this
    weekend. I had originally been interested in perfroming this
    resizing, because I didn't remember if my Laptop manufacturer had
    included install disks and I was afraid of messing up the restore
    partition. However, I found the original restore disks, so as long as
    I have a good backup of my data files I should be ok. Of course if I
    do have to restore from the restore disks, I will probably be stuck
    with the same partition table that I have now. As I understand
    Compaq's restore, it resets EVERYTHING back to factory status as far
    as the harddrive is concerned, including the partition table.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Parley D. Kennelly
    Southern California Realtor®
    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a high quality free software that will safely shrink a NTFS
    > harddrive partition?
    >
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > TIA
    > Parley

NTFS Microsoft Partition Hard Drives Windows XP